195 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want?

• Poch
    • Rafa
    • Big Sam
    • Thierry Henry
    • Keep Smith

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/12/19 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Yes but they have Ings, Norwich have Pukki, Watford have Deeney, if you have a goal scorer you always stand a chance, we don’t have one and that is the major worry.

Deeney isn't much of a goalscorer, he's scored like 17 league goals since 2017. He is however good a lot of other things, unlike Wesley. We also have a habit of making him look like Drogba whenever he plays against us.

6 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Your thoughts on Marcelino ,  Chris?

Would probably be my first choice.

Got Valencia into top 4 last season and beat Barca in cup final so good recent achievements. Has his flaws but any manager we appoint will have plenty.

We could also consider Unai Emery although given the lack of structure Arsenal had for most of his time there that would be a big risk I think.

Just now, nick76 said:

He turned us around in the championship

Up until October Villa fans thought the sun shone out of his butt

I just think he will, if I’m correct he’s always got it right eventually at his previous clubs

Nobody wants to get it right or work harder than Villa fans and he’s one of us.  He’s not just here picking up his cheque’s like other managers might be, he will be going through this pain like us and obviously he won’t tell us all on camera I’m sure he knows what going on as much as we are seeing it.

So based on nothing more than hope then.

How about his complete lack of adapting to a new system, resting a striker so badly out of form it's untrue. The complete balls up of how he set us up against Leicester. Continually changing the players but not the set up. The fact he has proven in his career he cannot tighten up a defence. Continues to play our star player out of position. Playing our striker on his own up top when week in week out he looks isolated and doesn't try to give home support (two up top). The fact we have just played the three teams who were below us out of which two were at home and we managed just 3 points and if you are honest the stats prove we were second best against Norwich.

I don't share your optimistic viewpoint unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

You’re right - why wait that long 😂

Because you are assuming the grass is greener on the other side.  If I knew who the option was to replace then I could give an answer but we don’t have that.  If it was Big Sam or a journey manager I would say No.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would probably be my first choice.

Got Valencia into top 4 last season and beat Barca in cup final so good recent achievements. Has his flaws but any manager we appoint will have plenty.

We could also consider Unai Emery although given the lack of structure Arsenal had for most of his time there that would be a big risk I think.

I don’t think emery would take it so soon after his arsenal flop .

marcelino maybe would be tempted 

It's easy to want a change of manager, I'm leaning towards that view myself BUT now I've calmed down a bit....I would much rather have an answer to the one key question.

Why,specifically do we find ourselves back in this position after half a season?

We have new owners, new coaches, new recruitment team and new players BUT we're back to looking gutless, disjointed and without stomach for the relegation battle we're now in. Happened with Lambert, Sherwood, Bruce and now Smith.

If the definition of insanity is to keep repeating the same actions whilst expecting a different outcome then it's no wonder we're collectively going nuts!

I'd really like to hear from the club, from Purslow, or anyone else in authority to get their perspective on this. Just what is the plan to tackle our apparent tailslide back to the Championship,  beyond potentially changing the "Head Coach"?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Because you are assuming the grass is greener on the other side.  If I knew who the option was to replace then I could give an answer but we don’t have that.  If it was Big Sam or a journey manager I would say No.

Not assuming the grass  is greener but I just don’t see smith turning it around - I think the change is needed now at the start of the window - Marcelino in fairness seems a good suggestion 

Edited by Eastie

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

I don’t think emery would take it so soon after his arsenal flop .

marcelino maybe would be tempted 

He's been linked with Arsenal and Everton so would be tempted by decent premier league project imo.

Bit more on him:

https://talksport.com/football/641256/andy-brassell-arsenal-everton-marcelino/

European football journalist Andy Brassell has given talkSPORT the lowdown on Arsenal and Everton managerial target Marcelino.

The Spaniard has been linked with both vacancies following strong spells with Villarreal and Valencia.

Marcelino guided Valencia into the Champions League and won the Copa del Rey at the expense of Barcelona last season, but was controversially sacked in September.

Arsenal and Everton have parted ways with Unai Emery and Marco Silva, respectively, following their poor starts to the season.

And Brassell has been impressed by how Marcelino has rebuilt his managerial career after an ill-fated seven-month spell at Sevilla during the 2011/12 campaign.

He told talkSPORT’s Trans Europe Express: “Marcelino builds solid units that are hard to beat. He had one big-club experience which went quite wrong for him in Sevilla. That was really difficult for him.

“But what’s really impressed me is that he rebuilt his career at Villarreal. When he took them over [in 2013], it must’ve been halfway through the season.

They were nowhere near getting promoted [to LaLiga], they were 10th in the league and he got them up through the play-offs, established them and got them back into Europe.

“What he did at Valencia was absolutely fantastic. The work that he did there was so good, they qualified for the Champions League and won the Copa del Rey against Barcelona last season.

“According to him, he said the club held it against him that he wanted to play for the cup until the very end because they thought it jeopardised Champions League qualification.

The reaction after he was released, and it was a very emotional press conference, it was amazing because I’ve rarely ever seen anything like it at a club.

“You’ll always get a couple of players saying ‘thanks for what the boss did’ and ‘hope our paths cross in the future’, but it must have been all the senior players at Valencia.

“They came out and didn’t just say that, they said ‘why are you getting rid of him?’ I think that is something absolutely remarkable.”

5 minutes ago, Darth Villa said:

It's easy to want a change of manager, I'm leaning towards that view myself BUT now I've calmed down a bit....I would much rather have an answer to the one key question.

Why,specifically do we find ourselves back in this position after half a season?

We have new owners, new coaches, new recruitment team and new players BUT we're back to looking gutless, disjointed and without stomach for the relegation battle we're now in. Happened with Lambert, Sherwood, Bruce and now Smith.

If the definition of insanity is to keep repeating the same actions whilst expecting a different outcome then it's no wonder we're collectively going nuts!

I'd really like to hear from the club, from Purslow, or anyone else in authority to get their perspective on this. Just what is the plan to tackle our apparent tailslide back to the Championship,  beyond potentially changing the "Head Coach"?

I think most new clubs are a bit unknown to others at first but we’ve been sussed by other managers and dean seems to have no plan b or other systems to adapt - seems one way of play and we’ve been found out  which has seen our confidence implode 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darth Villa said:

We need to sign better players particularly in the final third.

There's no great secret. When Wolves were promoted they signed Joao Moutinho, player with over 100 caps for Portugal and mass experience in champions league. A great fit for them in the middle with Ruben Neves and they dovetail really well.

An old head alongside Douglas Luiz in a middle two e.g. Matic and we might start to get somewhere. Having a prolific scorer in a relegation battle always helps as we saw with Benteke. Southampton are pulling away because Danny Ings is scoring every week.

Even with the major flaws in the team we've seen before 2-3 key signings can limit the damage, at least in the short term.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

So based on nothing more than hope then.

How about his complete lack of adapting to a new system, resting a striker so badly out of form it's untrue. The complete balls up of how he set us up against Leicester. Continually changing the players but not the set up. The fact he has proven in his career he cannot tighten up a defence. Continues to play our star player out of position. Playing our striker on his own up top when week in week out he looks isolated and doesn't try to give home support (two up top). The fact we have just played the three teams who were below us out of which two were at home and we managed just 3 points and if you are honest the stats prove we were second best against Norwich.

I don't share your optimistic viewpoint unfortunately.

Resting a striker - Kodjia isn’t good enough, we don’t have another alternative....people suggest playing Trez but has look woeful of late.  Problem is Davis got injured and we didn’t buy another striker.

Bit of respect for Leicester they were quality

Dont mind him changing the players.  Ming’s and Engels were great until Ming’s got injured, then we had Heaton, Jack, SJM and Wes...so we had a settled 6 players and Targett has been a fixture once he got into the team until his injury today so 7 fixed players instead bad.

I agree re changing formations, a little frustrating.

All on this board we were clambering for Jack to move forward, then he did and now we want him back but Smith hasn’t moved him back.  Think Smith feels this frees him up but we are seeing he’s lost on the wing.

cant argue about the last three games though

6 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Not assuming the grass  is greener but I just don’t see smooth turning it around - I think the change is needed now at the start of the window - Marcelino in fairness seems a good suggestion 

We may not agree but at least we both want the best for Villa

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Resting a striker - Kodjia isn’t good enough, we don’t have another alternative....people suggest playing Trez but has look woeful of late.  Problem is Davis got injured and we didn’t buy another striker.

Bit of respect for Leicester they were quality

Dont mind him changing the players.  Ming’s and Engels were great until Ming’s got injured, then we had Heaton, Jack, SJM and Wes...so we had a settled 6 players and Targett has been a fixture once he got into the team until his injury today so 7 fixed players instead bad.

I agree re changing formations, a little frustrating.

All on this board we were clambering for Jack to move forward, then he did and now we want him back but Smith hasn’t moved him back.  Think Smith feels this frees him up but we are seeing he’s lost on the wing.

cant argue about the last three games though

You knew how Leicester would play, I knew how Leicester would play but Smith set us up so Vardy could play exactly how he likes. He played Elmo when Guilbert had the pace to deal with home and as a consequence we got twated. 

I agree that Kodja probably isn't good enough but I ask could he have done any worse than Wesley has done in the last 3 - 4 games. He hasn't even tried him.

Today he played with Jack, Lansbury, Jota and Connor and we got out muscled. Who would have thought it.............

22 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

When Smith came in the target was still a play off finish, we only wrote it off after he managed 1 win in 12 over the Christmas period so wasn't a miracle we got promoted just that his 4 3 3 didn't work in that division either until grealish was back. I also think you're under estimating  the importance of staying in this division, we lose all our best players and have another rebuild on our hands which Smith is proving he's clearly not capable of. 

If we was playing football with any form of identity and was just been unlucky then I wouldn't be wanting him gone but we've just played the bottom 3 sides and conceded 6 goals lost 2 and won 1 that was undeserved. His subs and tactics have cost us points plenty of times already this season and in a division like this you can't keep making those mistakes. 

Exactly, I just don't understand people being so relaxed about relegation. Grealish will definitely go, McGinn too probably, and Mings won't stick around if he wants to stay in the England squad despite the affection he's built with the fans. Heaton might stay given his age, but we'd need to replace the spine of the team and we'd be back where we were years ago again. 

Constantly going round in circles this club. One step forward, two steps back. How is it Wolves have made the progress they have in no time whatsoever and we get lumbered with the same poor decision makers over and over again - what a chore it is following us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

You knew how Leicester would play, I knew how Leicester would play but Smith set us up so Vardy could play exactly how he likes. He played Elmo when Guilbert had the pace to deal with home and as a consequence we got twated. 

I agree that Kodja probably isn't good enough but I ask could he have done any worse than Wesley has done in the last 3 - 4 games. He hasn't even tried him.

Today he played with Jack, Lansbury, Jota and Connor and we got out muscled. Who would have thought it.............

If anything on Wesley he has started every game , he could do with a break 

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We need to sign better players particularly in the final third.

There's no great secret. When Wolves were promoted they signed Joao Moutinho, player with over 100 caps for Portugal and mass experience in champions league. A great fit for them in the middle with Ruben Neves and they dovetail really well.

An old head alongside Douglas Luiz in a middle two e.g. Matic and we might start to get somewhere. Having a prolific scorer in a relegation battle always helps as we saw with Benteke. Southampton are pulling away because Danny Ings is scoring every week.

Even with the major flaws in the team we've seen before 2-3 key signings can limit the damage, at least in the short term.

So how many on this thread would trust Dmith and Suso in the January window to bring in the 2 or 3 @VillaChris has reasonably suggested we'd need to arrest this slump?

8 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I think most new clubs are a bit unknown to others at first but we’ve been sussed by other managers and dean seems to have no plan b or other systems to adapt - seems one way of play and we’ve been found out  which has seen our confidence implode 

Again, a sensible point from @Eastieas since Leicester (ironically, Brendan Roger's Leicester) everyone else seems to have figured out how to exploit the gaps we leave in  midfield and out wide for them due to our formation / the attacking ethos of Smith.

So my question is, if our system has been sussed and we're short of the right type/quality of player then doesn't our Director of Football need to be held accountable to as surely he offers advice to the coaches beyond player recruitment? What I'm getting at is I've read some sensible suggestions about alternative managers and arguments for keeping Smith but I want to know what else should be done to break this cycle?

I don’t know if this is ever happened but would it be possible to like demote Dean Smith? Like keep him as a coach but get someone else in as a manager? Like we all love him and want him at the club but he might be out of his depth for now? Someone experienced to pull us out of this mess while he assists? 

Edited by Hobbit Feet

Wolves’ owner is close to Mendes, they then ‘parked’ some of his premier league quality  ‘clients’ at Wolves whilst they were in the championship. They got the playing time together and then after promotion sprinkled a few experienced heads alongside the gems and have successfully managed to get good results in the top league and in Europe. 

We have been run by pinky and perky recently. One of our previous managers left us on the eve of the season and we bought in a brilliant replacement but he had a health problem. 
Our current regime have to sort out the mess of recent managers and owners who for various reasons messed up. Our previous manager loved right backs. We went on a miracle run and qualified for the big league. 

Then we have had to buy in lots of players to plug gaps. We just need to survive. 

Â