195 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want?

• Poch
    • Rafa
    • Big Sam
    • Thierry Henry
    • Keep Smith

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/12/19 at 23:59

44 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Does anybody seriously think Smith is going to be sacked in the near future? Let’s say by the end of January.  

I think there is zero chance of that happening.  Sounds like people are keen for a change but do they think the board will, I don’t.  Feels like this thread is redundant because despite some of the fans wanting a change it isn’t going to happen.

You’re suggesting the board will be content with relegation this season (which is a strong bet if we stick with Smith).

In which case I want an immediate statement from the board explaining why they think it is OK for us to be relegated and to hang on to a manager who clearly couldn’t cope in the first tier.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Allardyce. Don't care what anyone says.

Fergie has said he's an underrated manager and i tend to agree. Allardyce is very good and effective at what he does.

People laugh at this but Fat Sam has never been relegated. His style of play isn't pretty but we're not exactly playing lovely football under Smith - Southampton, Norwich and Watford (all crap teams) have outplayed us in the last 2 weeks, two of them at VP. 

I voted Poch but we're too much of a shambles of a football club for him to even consider it - maybe 10,15,20 years ago but not now. Rafa would be more realistic as he's managed Newcastle who are also a basketcase football club but Rafa is a glorified version of Allardyce - both would play pretty much the same style with an emphasis on defending well and nicking three points from set pieces, a long ball, a counter attack etc.

So either of them for me - at least we'd be able to defend and be hard to beat.

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

You’re suggesting the board will be content with relegation this season (which is a strong bet if we stick with Smith).

In which case I want an immediate statement from the board explaining why they think it is OK for us to be relegated and to hang on to a manager who clearly couldn’t cope in the first tier.

Agreed , the financial outlay in the summer wasn’t that of a board who were thinking of relegation - I don’t think a few million in paying off smith would bother them if a better option is available 

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

People laugh at this but Fat Sam has never been relegated. His style of play isn't pretty but we're not exactly playing lovely football under Smith - Southampton, Norwich and Watford (all crap teams) have outplayed us in the last 2 weeks, two of them at VP. 

He was relegated at Notts County 

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I wonder is Suso has any managerial  contacts in Spain who’d fancy the job 

Anyone got a list of all the managers at clubs where he was employed. All I know is I think he was at Valencia the same time as Benitez.

Could be one to wince at some of the names.

From Spain Marcelinho is the obvious out of work manager who isn't totally past it.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He was relegated at Notts County 

In the premier league. Where he's been managing for most of the last 20 years.

Conte, Wenger and Klopp actually all have relegations on their CV from the early part of their career so I wouldn't even say managers should be dismissed if they have been relegated unless they're in relegation battles at every club they're at.

Edited by VillaChris

5 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

No of course not but then I don’t think it is a strong bet that we will be relegated if we stick with Smith.  I will go even further and suggest the likely candidates of manager we could get would do no better than Smith.  As I’ve put in prior posts, that unless a Poch or equal I’m sticking with Smith.

Marcelino was manager at Valencia during Suso's second spell with them as far I can work out, well they were both their in 2017 according to wikipedia. Edit: Marcelino came in just after Pitarch left.

Edited by useless

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No of course not but then I don’t think it is a strong bet that we will be relegated if we stick with Smith.  I will go even further and suggest the likely candidates of manager we could get would do no better than Smith.  As I’ve put in prior posts, that unless a Poch or equal I’m sticking with Smith.

I think if we stick with smith it’s extremely likely we will go down and probably finish 20th 

Edited by Eastie

23 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I can. Fortunately I think we got very sensible ownership who understands the importance of long term thinking, continuity and following a set plan. A few disgruntled fans who will bitch and moan no matter what don't interest them a whole lot. 

Do you think their long term thinking and following a set plan involves been relegated? I dont. 

Just now, holteend1982 said:

Do you think their long term thinking and following a set plan involves been relegated? I dont. 

I think everyone at the club, and most realistic fans, so it as a distinct possibility when we came up through the play offs having been a mid table championship side. Deano just promoted us earlier than anyone expected. 

This is probably also why we shopped a lot of young players that will gel and develop over time. Cause it's about more than this season. 

Â