195 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want?

• Poch
    • Rafa
    • Big Sam
    • Thierry Henry
    • Keep Smith

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/12/19 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

You're clearly ignoring the part where I said Smith can be replaced, just not with Allardyce. It's not Smith stays at all costs, but if the alternative is Allardyce, he might as well.

The squad is also going to be replaced as it's obviously not great, but I'd rather not have multiple managers with conflicting philosophies take up pieces of this rebuild. Hence why Allardyce doesn't fit for starters. We've been through all this already.

If the goal is just to stay up, it's not worth the long term damage to be honest. Better to just relegated now and start over. We didn't spend 3 years in limbo, finally get good ownership and structure only to repeat the cycle again for a measly 17th place.

I agree with most of the post, but not the bold bit. The Championship nearly killed us last time. We were days away from going out of business. The squad doesn’t look much better than the one that went down last time, with more war scars.

I’d fight for premier league survival now, and start in the summer as a PL team if it works out. Nothing to lose.

I’d be looking to offer someone like Sam a deal for remainder of this season, and next season. Get back to basics, be hard to beat, work hard and keep the points tally ticking over. If it goes well we replace him in 15 months time with a longer term appointment and look to push on to the next level.

Fat Sam puts defence first & plans on a tie or a 1-0 win. This big push by clubs like Bournemouth, Brighton & Villa  to play on the front foot is admirable but I'm a big believer in building a team from the back.  I think Sam could have saved Villa if he had been given 15 games but its probably too late to make a change.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree with most of the post, but not the bold bit. The Championship nearly killed us last time. We were days away from going out of business. The squad doesn’t look much better than the one that went down last time, with more war scars.

I’d fight for premier league survival now, and start in the summer as a PL team if it works out. Nothing to lose.

I’d be looking to offer someone like Sam a deal for remainder of this season, and next season. Get back to basics, be hard to beat, work hard and keep the points tally ticking over. If it goes well we replace him in 15 months time with a longer term appointment and look to push on to the next level.

I'd have him too until the end of the season, and no signings if he stays beyond that which obviously isn't feasible. It's not so much his brand of football that's damaging but the players he brings in. Everton for example are still reeling from his 6 month spell there followed by a radically different Marco Silva. The pair probably spent like 300m between them and have nothing to show for it.

I'd rather go down now with this squad of young players who still have room for improvement, some of whom have already proven they can perform at that level than in 3 years after circling the drain with a bloated, expensive squad that's going to disperse once we get relegated anyway.

48 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

People who think Sam would keep us up are mad.

Do you think Norwich should hire him as well? Would he keep them up?

No, but Norwich have a Championship squad. We have a squad that is underachieving. I just want to stay up. If Allardyce can do that I couldn't give a shit if he is our manager.

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

No, but Norwich have a Championship squad. We have a squad that is underachieving. I just want to stay up. If Allardyce can do that I couldn't give a shit if he is our manager.

Why do you think our squad is so much better than Norwich's squad? They got promoted as a well-oiled, good team last year. We had to buy a whole new team and do everything on the fly—purchasing a load of players in the process who had obviously never played together and who had on the most part never played in England.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

We have a squad that is underachieving.

I suppose that's what it comes down to. Whether you believe that to be true. I don't, they're just crap.

Almost all of our summer signings were unfit for purpose. An embarrassing collection of chocolate teapot signings. What a chance to build any squad we wanted. Squandered. We won't get that chance again for probably 30 years. When have you ever seen squad churn like that outside of League 2?

We might have the odd individual better than Norwich in Grealish/McGinn, but they don't have 7/8 players who absolutely are of no use like we do.

I do think Smith has been poor btw. I just don't see anyone who we can attract keeping us up.

If you guaranteed me we can get X in and stay up, I'd be interested. But then they'd be here at the start of next season. Do I want Sam here in August? No. Can you guarantee me he would keep us up? No.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I suppose that's what it comes down to. Whether you believe that to be true. I don't, they're just crap.

Almost all of our summer signings were unfit for purpose. An embarrassing collection of chocolate teapot signings. What a chance to build any squad we wanted. Squandered. We won't get that chance again for probably 30 years. When have you ever seen squad churn like that outside of League 2?

We might have the odd individual better than Norwich in Grealish/McGinn, but they don't have 7/8 players who absolutely are of no use like we do.

I do think Smith has been poor btw. I just don't see anyone who we can attract keeping us up.

If you guaranteed me we can get X in and stay up, I'd be interested. But then they'd be here at the start of next season. Do I want Sam here in August? No. Can you guarantee me he would keep us up? No.

I still think with players like Targett, Heaton, Mings, McGinn and Grealish we should be able to stay out of the bottom 3. Hopefully when McGinn comes back that will make a big difference. Problem is that we just look so disorganised and that is down to the manager.

Don't get me wrong though, some of our transfer business has been shocking. Trezeguet is a prime example of that.

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

I still think with players like Targett, Heaton, Mings, McGinn and Grealish we should be able to stay out of the bottom 3. Hopefully when McGinn comes back that will make a big difference. Problem is that we just look so disorganised and that is down to the manager.

Don't get me wrong though, some of our transfer business has been shocking. Trezeguet is a prime example of that.

Exactly. 

I want the best chance to stay up right now, and I don't think that is with Dean Smith. I also don't believe he'll be capable of bringing us back up. 3 wins in 15 without Grealish last season is atrocious, and the football was as bad as anything served up at Villa Park in years. 

This idea that he's some kind of Championship genius that's a guaranteed promotion is based on absolutely nothing. 

I think he's put of ideaa, the players have lost belief in him, and he has to go. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Targett is good when we're on the front foot (which isn't very often). Otherwise, he is a bang average defender. Heaton will miss half the season. Mings missed a crucial run of games before Christmas, and still doesn't look quite right. McGinn has been injured for a third of the season. Grealish is class, but he needs attacking talent around him to get the most out of his ability.

6 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

That is 5 players only, a lot of the others wouldn't get into other Premier League teams. All 5 of them players have also been injured for a period of the season 

If the club have identified the man long term with a strategy I have no issue. 

If the club brings in a clearing in the woods like Pulis or Fat Sam then **** off. VAR has done enough already to put me off football without this shit

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

big sam.. only option who knows the game, 

smith is clearly out of depth, the league does not lie , the performances are woe full. 

If he knows the game so much why is he unemployed nearly 2 years

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If the club have identified the man long term with a strategy I have no issue. 

If the club brings in a clearing in the woods like Pulis or Fat Sam then **** off. VAR has done enough already to put me off football without this shit

As long as the contract expires at the end of the season, what’s the harm? £5m bonus to keep us up and either way, at the end of the season they are gone. We then get a long term solution in after that.

Either way I am certain of two things. With Smith in charge we are down. It’s been obvious for weeks and the board have been way too loyal. Secondly, whatever happens a new long term solution is required at the end of the season. We have been woeful at appointing managers for years. Hopefully this time we will get it right.

8 hours ago, Rolta said:

Why do you think our squad is so much better than Norwich's squad? They got promoted as a well-oiled, good team last year. We had to buy a whole new team and do everything on the fly—purchasing a load of players in the process who had obviously never played together and who had on the most part never played in England.

I actually think Norwich have a crap manager and a crap squad. Last season was a complete anomaly. They'll go down and be Championship fodder. I'm very confident of that. 

Â