195 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want?

• Poch
    • Rafa
    • Big Sam
    • Thierry Henry
    • Keep Smith

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/12/19 at 23:59

1 minute ago, Graham t said:

We aren't building. If you hadn't noticed we are going downwards at a rate of knots. That is not progress. Frankly I don't understand all this let's wait malarkey. Wait for what exactly?

ATB.

VLD.

Have you forgotten what a complete and utter shit storm we were in. A pretend owner who lost interest, sells to another pretend owner without a pot to piss in. Almost going down the swanny altogether. This is positively a different planet we are on compared to that. I'll take that for now

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Smith, Terry and the rest were employed IMO as a project. Villa are currently a project.

Yes the performances and results are shocking at the moment but sacking everyone and starting again is basically failing the project. I can totally understand why people want wholesale changes behind the scenes and in the coaching set up but I think that would be a mistake. My patience with the whole situation is wearing thin, we have needed stability and financial stability for donkeys years, now we have that we need to have faith in what we have. Yes, Smith has his faults and no-one is perfect but he needs time. The first season back was always going to be difficult and we knew we would get some canings and the apparent lack of effort is down to the players IMO. 

If Smith et al get the sack then so be it, I just think it would be the wrong decision. This isn't based on blind faith, it's how projects work. 

Maybe we will be better off when we do sell certain players, that money can be reinvested.

That's how a project works, in principle.

If I hire a bunch of builders to build an estate, and the houses aren't being built of an acceptable quality and are starting to fall apart. Do I let them continue until it all falls apart or bring in someone that might be able to salvage it?

The players seem to have lost belief in him. His interviews lately, it's becoming more apparent that he's not sure what to do. I don't see what we have to gain by sticking by him. I've not called for his head before, but a Premier League place is so hard to get and we need to do everything we can to try and hold on to it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

That's how a project works, in principle.

If I hire a bunch of builders to build an estate, and the houses aren't being built of an acceptable quality and are starting to fall apart. Do I let them continue until it all falls apart or bring in someone that might be able to salvage it?

The players seem to have lost belief in him. His interviews lately, it's becoming more apparent that he's not sure what to do. I don't see what we have to gain by sticking by him. I've not called for his head before, but a Premier League place is so hard to get and we need to do everything we can to try and hold on to it.

I don't disagree with any of your points at all. I just don't think it's completely down to Smith. The players must take responsibility for their actions or lack there of.  I do think Smith needs to learn also, we aren't Brentford. Being stubborn and sticking to your guns is great if they are loaded but we are firing blanks at present. Time to get a new gun or at least check if this one is loaded

3 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I don't disagree with any of your points at all. I just don't think it's completely down to Smith. The players must take responsibility for their actions or lack there of.  I do think Smith needs to learn also, we aren't Brentford. Being stubborn and sticking to your guns is great if they are loaded but we are firing blanks at present. Time to get a new gun or at least check if this one is loaded

I agree that the players aren't blameless. But far worse teams in terms of quality have stayed up in the Premier League. There is enough in this squad to stay up. Player personnel can't be changed at this point, and something needs to be changed. If we just keep the way we are, we will go down and I wouldn't be surprised if it's in 20th. If DS completely changes up the way we're playing, then great, but I just do not believe this will happen.

4 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I agree that the players aren't blameless. But far worse teams in terms of quality have stayed up in the Premier League. There is enough in this squad to stay up. Player personnel can't be changed at this point, and something needs to be changed. If we just keep the way we are, we will go down and I wouldn't be surprised if it's in 20th. If DS completely changes up the way we're playing, then great, but I just do not believe this will happen.

This is probably a worse squad than got relegated 4 years ago. Is really not that much quality in our squad.  Jack, Samatta, McGinn, Heaton, Mings then clutching at straws maybe El Ghazi

16 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

We've made it very difficult for ourselves with the run of games we have coming up. New manager bounce only lasts so long and is rarely long term. If they do sack him and someone like Allardyce comes in then we have learnt nothing.

10 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Yes, I accept that Jota has fallen well short and that he was a Smith pick. But jota was a very cheap gamble, but a gamble that hasn’t paid dividends this season. 

He might be good in the Championship next season

20 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

We've made it very difficult for ourselves with the run of games we have coming up. New manager bounce only lasts so long and is rarely long term. If they do sack him and someone like Allardyce comes in then we have learnt nothing.

Sorry, if I could see Smith improving the team I would agree with your comments. Unfortunately we are getting worse. To keep on repeating the same mistakes seems like madness to me. Do you really think Smith is the answer?

ATB.

VLD.

2 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Sorry, if I could see Smith improving the team I would agree with your comments. Unfortunately we are getting worse. To keep on repeating the same mistakes seems like madness to me. Do you really think Smith is the answer?

ATB.

VLD.

I agree making the same mistakes is daft and if he was showing he is learning from the mistakes then we wouldn't be having this conversation. I just think that with the position we are in we need to stick with it. The goal for this season was survival, if we were cut off with no chance then yeah get him replaced. As is stands we are not, it is still in our hands. I will accept it's a borderline miracle but it is doable.

8 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I agree. It is doable. The problem is this. There are probably 6 teams in the relegation mix. I have watched all of them, and we are the worst.

The other teams are combative and determined and have been coached to know what they have to do, individually and as a team.

Whereas we are a shambles.

Nail on head

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That's because nobody had ever seen most of the signings play and so had hyped them up based on youtube videos and second hand accounts.

This in itself should have been a warning for the club. We took far too many risks with the transfer business in my view. Too many players without the right experience/quality blend.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Not really. We had a big budget if we needed to buy a couple of players. But we needed to buy almost an entire squad. When you spread that budget around like that it's not that big.

If we went down I assume we'd keep most of our players. Plus we'd probably have £100m plus from selling Grealish and Mings and McGinn if they leave to offset further spending.

Obviously there's no guarantees, but I think we'd be in a very strong position to come up.

Last time we went down we thought that there was a gap between the bottom of the premier league and the top of the championship. There isn’t in reality. If you finish bottom of the PL you’re as good as something in the middle of the Championship. Then you have your better players plucked away and you need to work very hard to raise the standard of the squad (as we saw last time). This is before the fact the players you kept, who couldn’t get a move away don’t really fancy the grind of the Championship.

I really fear for Villa with Smith and whoever is doing our transfer business.

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Your telling me ancelotti hasn’t turned it around to where they were with silva ?

To an extent. He's had an easy fixture list, but still hasn't exactly picked up a massive total of points.

Anything would be an improvement over SIlva though.

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

This is a strawman. The problem people have with getting an Allardyce is that he'll be the start of the cycle that led us here in the first place. He has a ceiling. He's very good at keeping teams up but has nothing in the tank after that. By the time we sack him, he'd have changed the whole squad into a PL version of our Championship one and we'd have to start from scratch again. We'd be at risk of relegation with whoever the new guy is. What do we do then, sack him and bring in Allardyce? 

For better or worse, we have a structure in place with a clear strategy. Allardyce and his style just don't fit it. We can find another manager to replace Smith who can work with our players and within our model, but bringing in Allardyce or someone of his ilk would be like trying to hammer in a square peg in a round hole. I'd rather get relegated now than have the process drawn out and coming full circle back to the Championship anyway. Has nothing to do with style of football.

The current squad is poor. Man for man its poor and we wasted a lot of money. We’re going to lose one, two or all 3 of our best players in the summer. The football style is shambolic/chaotic and the players are extremely weak mentally.

If we stick with Smith, go down, stick with Smith some more, where is the evidence that it’s better for us long term?

What exactly are we protecting by sticking with Smith? What is the project that he is building? It’s a mish mash of foreign players of all ages who have never played in the league they need do perform in. It seems like blind loyalty, because he’s a Villa fan. 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

The current squad is poor. Man for man its poor and we wasted a lot of money. We’re going to lose one, two or all 3 of our best players in the summer. The football style is shambolic/chaotic and the players are extremely weak mentally.

If we stick with Smith, go down, stick with Smith some more, where is the evidence that it’s better for us long term?

What exactly are we protecting by sticking with Smith? What is the project that he is building? It’s a mish mash of foreign players of all ages who have never played in the league they need do perform in. It seems like blind loyalty, because he’s a Villa fan. 

You're clearly ignoring the part where I said Smith can be replaced, just not with Allardyce. It's not Smith stays at all costs, but if the alternative is Allardyce, he might as well.

The squad is also going to be replaced as it's obviously not great, but I'd rather not have multiple managers with conflicting philosophies take up pieces of this rebuild. Hence why Allardyce doesn't fit for starters. We've been through all this already.

If the goal is just to stay up, it's not worth the long term damage to be honest. Better to just relegated now and start over. We didn't spend 3 years in limbo, finally get good ownership and structure only to repeat the cycle again for a measly 17th place.

Poch or Rafa? 🙄 Any suggested alternative to Smith needs to be realistic and gettable.

So it looks like Big Sam then.

a

In each of our 3 Championship seasons we got off to a terrible start and ended up playing catch up. We cannot afford to let that happen again next season, if we do go down. Smith is too much of a gamble. Stay up/go down he must not be here at the start of the new season 

• Like 1

Â