195 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want?

• Poch
    • Rafa
    • Big Sam
    • Thierry Henry
    • Keep Smith

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/12/19 at 23:59

Changes might be needed in the management/coaching structure, not necessarily the manager. Given that our most appalling trait is the inability to stop  goals/chances from set pieces, why aren’t we questioning John Terry’s suitability for the role? Perhaps we need to get in an experienced defensive coach to aid Dean Smith and the team? Because we repeat the same mistakes over and over again with our attempts at zonal marking, or our attempts to play out. We’re a defensive mess, and getting worse. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

He was good with brentford but how much of that was with the aid of frank? Franks doing a better job than smith did there.

I think if you take the three you mentioned out of that team that just makes a group of talented championship players not a team. The whole spine is gone and that is going to be almighty difficult to replace.

I think we need a host of players as i dont think jota trez drinkwater hause taylor elmo should be kept on next summer.

Add that to the  three you mention we need 8 players. 

For me its vital we keep heaton nakamba konsa targett samatta to build around if we go down.

We'd have an enormous budget given how much we'd get for those players. I think we'd comfortably be able to replace them with players good enough for a Championship title push

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Is he though? Im not so sure about that. He had a squad of mings mcginn grealish and tammy (only mings signed by smith)

After seeing the colossal mess smith has made of building this squad along with suso i have serious doubts about whether he can.

If i saw abit of fight and passion on the pitch i may share this. But i dont. All i see is a man out of ideas and looking out of his depth.

Sadly this is where I am at. I dont get what people are seeing from Dean that gives them any kind of positivity should we be relegated. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

Sadly this is where I am at. I dont get what people are seeing from Dean that gives them any kind of positivity should we be relegated. 

You and me both mykey.

Even lame Moyes has his palyera battling and trying. We have no fight whatsoever. 

The fans are doing their bit. Backing them home and away not booing even the dreadful performances. We need to see more.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

We'd have an enormous budget given how much we'd get for those players. I think we'd comfortably be able to replace them with players good enough for a Championship title push

In theory, yes we'd be able to. But in actuality? I don't think anyone reasonably doubts that we are capable of winning the Championship but just because we're capable doesn't mean we will.You can't just chuck money at players and expect to get promoted. Sometimes it just doesn't come off enough for whatever reason and its far from a guarantee.

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

The thing I don't understand is that if anyone was to suggest someone like Big Sam then it gets shot down because "we'd rather get relegated with Smith than have to watch Sam's football"... our football is neither pretty to watch or successful. So what exactly is there to lose?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

We had a pretty big budget for this coming season and it was largely wasted.

You may well be right, but my confidence that we'll spend well is quite low.

46 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

In theory, yes we'd be able to. But in actuality? I don't think anyone reasonably doubts that we are capable of winning the Championship but just because we're capable doesn't mean we will.You can't just chuck money at players and expect to get promoted. Sometimes it just doesn't come off enough for whatever reason and its far from a guarantee.

Of course it's not guaranteed.

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

You may well be right, but my confidence that we'll spend well is quite low.

Not really. We had a big budget if we needed to buy a couple of players. But we needed to buy almost an entire squad. When you spread that budget around like that it's not that big.

If we went down I assume we'd keep most of our players. Plus we'd probably have £100m plus from selling Grealish and Mings and McGinn if they leave to offset further spending.

Obviously there's no guarantees, but I think we'd be in a very strong position to come up.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree.

Suso must go. I have no faith in anything if he keeps his job. Disastrous signings everywhere.

If he goes there's some hope for Smith in the Championship.

Last season, after about 4 weeks under Smith we were unrecognisable from the team Bruce was sending out.

We're reeling madly now and the players are terrified as we're losing every game. We've lost our best central midfielder, our keeper and only had a striker from midway through January.

The signs are there we can be organised. The start of this season we were absolutely not this bad. We could defend a corner ffs, yesterday was an embarrassment every ball into the box. 

We won every game in pre-season including a win over Leipzig who are about to go through to the quarter-final of Champs league.

If we stay up I would shake Smith's hand and send him on his way. That's not going to happen, we're going down, so Smith stays for me.

If we go down then the season will be a massive failure after the money we spent on top of already having players like Grealish, McGinn, Mings, Hause,  and El Ghazi continuing on from last season, it's pointless pretending that we were working on a shoestring budget, if Leeds get promoted they will have to replace most of their team if they want to survive as will most teams looking to come up through the play-offs, if any of them spend anywhere near £140m the expectation on them would be survival and anything less would deemed as failure, I bet there were people on here last season publicly criticizing Fulham by use of ridicule when they were relegated after spending £100m plus. Purslow himself even said there was no interest in us just being a team that makes up the numbers and flirts with the catastrophe of relegation that the club has had to live with for the last three seasons.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

What did you expect him to say? We also went out and spent on average £9mil or something on each player. The premier league is full of teams who have had huge investment season upon season. Then you have the likes of Sheffield United, who have been a consistent, well-honed project over years—the exact opposite to us. We are where we are for many reasons.

Edited by Rolta

This idea that our players are only worth £10m on average is a false narrative, in the summer when we were signing  them people were talking about how they were worth more and talking about how shrewd our transfer dealings had been and praising Suso as a result, this was on top of players like Grealish and McGinn both of whom were being talked about as £50m plus players. Also I didn't say I expected Purslow to say anything else, just that he'd see relegation as a failure.

I think aston villa is a government sponsered subversion project created by well known former tavistock institute  alumni billy "shears"mcgregor.

its designed to break up traditional family units by putting daddy in a "perma-strop" every weekend

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, useless said:

This idea that our players are only worth £10m on average is a false narrative, in the summer when we were signing  them people were talking about how they were worth more and talking about how shrewd our transfer dealings had been and praising Suso as a result, this was on top of players like Grealish and McGinn both of whom were being talked about as £50m plus players. Also I didn't say I expected Purslow to say anything else, just that he'd see relegation as a failure.

That's because nobody had ever seen most of the signings play and so had hyped them up based on youtube videos and second hand accounts.

It was the same the summer before we got relegated.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

The thing I don't understand is that if anyone was to suggest someone like Big Sam then it gets shot down because "we'd rather get relegated with Smith than have to watch Sam's football"... our football is neither pretty to watch or successful. So what exactly is there to lose?

This is a strawman. The problem people have with getting an Allardyce is that he'll be the start of the cycle that led us here in the first place. He has a ceiling. He's very good at keeping teams up but has nothing in the tank after that. By the time we sack him, he'd have changed the whole squad into a PL version of our Championship one and we'd have to start from scratch again. We'd be at risk of relegation with whoever the new guy is. What do we do then, sack him and bring in Allardyce? 

For better or worse, we have a structure in place with a clear strategy. Allardyce and his style just don't fit it. We can find another manager to replace Smith who can work with our players and within our model, but bringing in Allardyce or someone of his ilk would be like trying to hammer in a square peg in a round hole. I'd rather get relegated now than have the process drawn out and coming full circle back to the Championship anyway. Has nothing to do with style of football.

• Like 4

Any manager that is "defensive" or a "dinosaur" works for me. Just get the basics right. At this point of the season, every point is massive. While teams around us are sneaking the odd point against even the top sides, they're edging away from us, because we need to score 2/3 goals just to get a draw.

• Like 2

Â