195 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want?

• Poch
    • Rafa
    • Big Sam
    • Thierry Henry
    • Keep Smith

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/12/19 at 23:59

Just now, holteend1982 said:

Smith is costing us to many points unfortunately, he's way out his depth in this division

And being a villa fan he should know this and do these right thing.   To quote Pulp Fiction "**** pride".

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Tim Sherwood was a quick fix. I loved the short term boost but ultimately the long term damage took a good two years to recover from.

We could appoint a Pulis and Big Sam and stay up. Trouble for me is we'd then be grateful for them saving us (I'd imagine either would get an 18 month deal) and so we'd then spend 100m on incredibly mediocre players. Just like Tim Sherwood.

It shouldn't be impossible to sign a manager who can keep us up and then start building something for next two years. Southampton did that all those years ago when they sacked Nigel Adkins who'd promoted them two leagues and appointed an unknown called Pochettino. He comfortably kept them up and lifted them to the edge of the top 6 the next season.

You could also look at Nuno. Wolves appointed him, he got them up with ease and they're a comfortable top 8 team now in the premier league.

These managers are out there but the board needs to put the work in to find him unlike Lerner who made some awful choices.

Is it really long term damage if he didn't actually leave the club in a worse position that he joined us in? We were 18th when he joined, 19th when he left. I'd argue the long-term rot was already in full effect before Sherwood, and he was only able to hold it off for awhile but ultimately could do nothing about it in the long term.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

This is surreal to me, seeing so many want Big Sam......I wouldn’t want him anywhere near the Villa

Sam is not ideal but he does excel in keeping teams up from bad situations - my main concern is Aston Villa avoiding relegation and I’d say Sam has a much better chance of doing that than dean who seems to have totally lost his way at this level .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Is it really long term damage if he didn't actually leave the club in a worse position that he joined us in? We were 18th when he joined, 19th when he left. I'd argue the long-term rot was already in full effect before Sherwood, and he was only able to hold it off for awhile but ultimately could do nothing about it in the long term.

I actually defend Sherwood on here whenever the debate swings round to him but ultimately the players he wanted like Gestede, Richards and Lescott were disasters. Also if you look back to 15-16 we let him have most of the winnable six pointers at home like WBA, Sunderland, Swansea and Stoke. We took one point from that run. I think Remi Garde's first two home games were Man. City and Arsenal.

Given we're playing Man. City at home next month I fear history might repeat itself a little.

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd go for Marcelinho.

Out of work but finished top 4 with Valencia and won Copa Del Rey with them last season (beat Barcelona in the final). We're not talking about a manager who's good work was a decade ago. He also took Villareal into the CL I think.

Marcelo Gallardo would also be an exciting choice.

Of the boring domestic options I'd be o.k with Chris Hughton for 18 months.

uproar if we were ambitious and went for either, sure they lack that proven premier league experience that people bore on about

It’s uninspiring, but it’s round peg in a round hole -> Big Sam. Then if we’re mid-table this time next year we can talk about a better manager to push us towards the European spots.

Edited by Genie

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s uninspiring, but it’s round peg in a round hole -> Big Sam. Then if we’re mid-table this time next year we can talk about a better manager to push us towards the European spots.

This argument was used a couple of years ago I’m sure Dean Smith was regarded as the man to take us towards Europe !!

I’ll always love Smith for what he did for us and I don’t truly believe he signed the absolute dross we did in the summer.

However, we are where we are on account of the moronic transfers that occurred in the summer. I don’t think Smith is the kind of manager that gets the best out of s*** players like, say, a Pearson or an Allardyce. 

So, we stick or twist and we have a few options. 

1. Back him with 3/4 new players in Jan and give him until the end of the season.

2. Sack him and sign nobody to be FFP compliant and try to bring in a manager that gets the best of out of bang average players.

3. Back him with no signings (suicide).

4. Back a new manager with 3 or 4 new players in Jan.

Ultimately, and let me make this clear, as much as Smith is/has failing/failed as our manager, the club have failed him equally as much. This man got us promoted. To reward him with signings like Nakamba, Luiz, Trezeguet and Wesley is utterly f***** stupid. Smith is one of us and will go down as one of my favourite managers in the last 30 years because of the day he gave us at Wembley. 

Im as upset calling for his head as I am angry. The club massively failed in the summer. Any team trying to survive a Premier League campaign with Wesley f***** Moraes as the only striker deserves to be relegated.

Smith out? Maybe. But we’ll probably go down anyway. The pretenders and absolute charlatans that thought the players I’ve already mentioned were good enough, they’re the real w****** in all of this. 

UTV. The Championship isn’t all that bad I suppose.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, nick76 said:

This is surreal to me, seeing so many want Big Sam......I wouldn’t want him anywhere near the Villa

Why though? Proven track record in keeping teams in the division when they are looking like going down, don't have to give him a 5 year deal or anything just long enough to establish ourselves as an actual premier league side. 

• Like 1

Emery was interviewed for the Everton job I think we'd consider him, but whether he'd be ideal for a club in a relegation battle I'm not sure but certainly provide the alternaive to the likes of Allardyce, Moyes and so on that people crave. Garcia and Puel would probably also come into consideration. Would be nice to go for someone like Gallardo but don't think we'd take that risk in the middle of a season.

Edited by useless

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ll always love Smith for what he did for us and I don’t truly believe he signed the absolute dross we did in the summer.

However, we are where we are on account of the moronic transfers that occurred in the summer. I don’t think Smith is the kind of manager that gets the best out of s*** players like, say, a Pearson or an Allardyce. 

So, we stick or twist and we have a few options. 

1. Back him with 3/4 new players in Jan and give him until the end of the season.

2. Sack him and sign nobody to be FFP compliant and try to bring in a manager that gets the best of out of bang average players.

3. Back him with no signings (suicide).

4. Back a new manager with 3 or 4 new players in Jan.

Ultimately, and let me make this clear, as much as Smith is/has failing/failed as our manager, the club have failed him equally as much. This man got us promoted. To reward him with signings like Nakamba, Luiz, Trezeguet and Wesley is utterly f***** stupid. Smith is one of us and will go down as one of my favourite managers in the last 30 years because of the day he gave us at Wembley. 

Im as upset calling for his head as I am angry. The club massively failed in the summer. Any team trying to survive a Premier League campaign with Wesley f***** Moraes as the only striker deserves to be relegated.

Smith out? Maybe. But we’ll probably go down anyway. The pretenders and absolute charlatans that thought the players I’ve already mentioned were good enough, they’re the real w****** in all of this. 

UTV. The Championship isn’t all that bad I suppose.

BEST POST EVER! 

• Like 1

I really don't see DS going anywhere.

Benitez - I doubt purslow or the board would even approach him - even if they did it would be a surprise if he took the job.

Should the board surprise me and dispense with Smith - you are looking at Houghton, Allardyce  and maybe even Terry .........

Just now, useless said:

Emery was interviewed for the Everton I think we'd consider him, but whether he'd be ideal for a club in a relegation battle I'm not sure but certainly provide the alternaive to the likes of Allardyce, Moyes and so on that people crave. Garcia and Puel would probably also come into consideration. Would be nice to go for someone like Gallardo but don't think we'd take that risk in the middle of a season.

No way.

We need a quick fix. Emery is not that.

Just now, holteend1982 said:

Why though? Proven track record in keeping teams in the division when they are looking like going down, don't have to give him a 5 year deal or anything just long enough to establish ourselves as an actual premier league side. 

Exactly. So many fans just blindly go along with these “i’d rather get relegated than have manager X”. It’s just so stupid, we’re not exactly playing like Brazil now are we? People would rather play shit and lose than play percentage football and keep the points tally ticking over to get to safety? Mental.

I doubt our board would appoint Sam as on recent evidence they don’t do a very good job of putting people in roles suited to their experience. 

• Like 2

Just now, villalad21 said:

His style of play...

But quite frankly i couldn't care less how we win at the moment. As long as we win.

His style of play got us promoted or did you forget that? 

Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea,  Man Utd, Leicester etc play 4-3-3 but they all have better players than us. 

Tell us all Mr Genius, what would your formation be and who would be your starting eleven? 

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

His style of play...

But quite frankly i couldn't care less how we win at the moment. As long as we win.

This is what I don’t understand. Current style of play is absolute dog turd. Why are people so protective of it? 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Â