Resident Evil 3 Remake

jacketspuds

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Can't make a decent Resident Evil game so lets remake the old ones.

Capcom have been on a roll recently. Resident Evil 7 was very good and they took that inspiration into the remakes of Resident Evil 2 and 3 (developed at the same time). Capcom are a far cry from the studio that made Resident Evil 5 and 6, a studio with creative issues and a lack of understanding of what gamers actually wanted. Since then they have refocused and released Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter World and Resident Evil 2: Remake which have all gone down as some of the best games released in their respective years. It's very easy to look at this with cynical eyes, but Capcom are doing great work right now and these remakes are no different.

In fairness the RE2 remake is a new game that only really shares a plot and basic structure with the original. It plays completely differently (for the better), looks wonderful etc etc. It's far more of a 'remake' than something like the remake of the original, which was literally the old game with better models, a minor gameplay tweak and a new boss IIRC? 2 is a ground up new thing, and it's **** excellent.

3 will be the same. IIRC 3 is also considered the most flawed of the original games so the ground up do over might be even more successful than 2 was.

Capcom's form is great at the moment. Shame their fighting game standards have fallen off a cliff.

• 2 months later...

The main concern for me in this is Nemesis. Mr X in 2 is incredible, but the game knows to use him fleetingly. He appears for a few segments, he's massively intimidating, and the balance is right. Nemesis on the other hand, iirc, can appear more or less anywhere and he has a variety of ways to get at you, not least of which are the ability to jump ahead of you and to grab you at a distance and drag you back. That sidesteps Mr X's tension directly into being pure annoyance. If the entire game is spent worrying about Nemesis appearing and wrecking shit, I'm not sure I'm as into this as the previous game (which was **** brilliant).

I loved the demo. I also love that they allow the player to counter everything Nemesis does by getting good at perfect dodges. If you dodge at the right time it slows down a bit and gives you a ton of invincibility frames. The window for the dodge is similar to Bloodborne's parry timing, so anyone with knowledge of that game will likely get pretty good at them relatively quickly.

That said I am concerned that Nemesis will be frustrating for those that don't learn the new skills. I also don't know if the game ever tells players about the perfect dodge mechanic in the full game which could also be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Reviews are out.

Unfortunately it's not the great release that 2 was last year. Seems they remade it a little too well - just like the original they have obviously rushed it. Biggest issues seem to be that it's incredibly short and it's not anywhere near as varied in its gameplay. It seems they've chopped out a few sections from the original which exacerbates the issue further

Still a good game, but not the great one last year's title was.

• 2 weeks later...

Gave it a couple of hours tonight, enjoyed it a lot more than the demo, nemesis wasn't too bad

The game has a problem, it doesn't feel very big and thanks to nemesis it's trying to get you to rush, the 2 don't combine well together, it's really DLC that thanks to the original they've given it a full release

But it's still resident evil and looks and feels amazing, the series with this set up and engine is in great hands and personally I wouldn't say no to them doing code Veronica too, back to being must play 

another couple of hours tonight....and it was finished, 4 hours in total which I think is actually pretty slow (theres an unlockable for finishing it in 2 - there's also one for killing 2k enemies, says a lot about this game)

its actually really good which makes the short play time all the more disappointing, the city parts are great*, it has 2 problems, the afore mentioned shortness + it rushing you and then also nemesis, he has some really good boss battles but he's disappointing, he doesn't have the same impact as mr x, he's far more scripted and not a development of what they did previously, he didn't get my heart racing in the same way, there weren't times where I was trying to do something and he was in my way, the aim of the game while he's there is run or fight, which also highlights the lack of depth in the game because there are not many inventory stretching things in it

* resident evil in an open world city setting would be incredible, sadly I don't think it will happen

Put more time in to it, I can see the criticism that there's little replay ability but strangely due to the way they've done the shop there's some cool stuff that's obtainable for every player, the madness of the killing 2000 zombies and finishing in 2 hours isn't that mad when you see what you can pick up

especially if youre willing to put some donkey work in to the hospital... You can grind there for an hour and get all the handgun, assault rifle and most of the overall kill points if you're willing to let yourself die and repeat the one set piece

Did try stepping up the difficulty and playing with an unlimited ammo assault rifle, don't find it enjoyable if I'm honest, nemesis can string together combos that just **** you up, I won't be venturing on to the hardest setting 

• 2 weeks later...

I got a copy and managed to finish it last night.

It's good fun. It isn't as good as RE2 was last year, it's much more slight game with much heavier focus on combat (there's what, 3 puzzles in the entire game, and they aren't really puzzles in all honesty) but it plays well and looks fantastic, the production values are sky high and it's more popcorn action focus fits the Resi challenge run style replays quite well.

It's a really good game. It probably shouldn't be a full price release, it is slight and it is basically a pared back side story to the previous game, that's also too big to be a DLC really, bit if you fancy shooting some zombies in a really concise straight story, it's well worth your time, especially once it gets into that £25 range.

how did you do it on nightmare?!

I reckon with a couple of nights farming kills I could unlock the rocket launcher and some of the stones to give you more resistance etc but im slowly running out of steam on it

the higher difficulty levels seemed a bit wank to say the least, tipped the game towards taking the piss out of you

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

how did you do it on nightmare?!

I reckon with a couple of nights farming kills I could unlock the rocket launcher and some of the stones to give you more resistance etc but im slowly running out of steam on it

the higher difficulty levels seemed a bit wank to say the least, tipped the game towards taking the piss out of you

I had saves at a few places in the game to grind records to get the rocket launcher, the coins, the pouches and the dodge book. With that Nightmare is basically the same as hardcore, except the final boss is a bit harder. Inferno is a bastard largely because of the final boss though - that is genuinely one of the hardest boss fights I've ever done, and i say that having platinumed 2 Souls games and having beaten Bloodborne. Inferno almost isn't worth it.

You can grind the records easily. Keep a save at 3 points

1. Immediately before the spider bit

2. Before the Defend Jill last stand as Carlos in the Hospital

3. Before the room in Nest with the giant body bags hanging down that you unlock with a USB stick. 

You use those to grind the kills with various weapons. Kills carry across so after you clear out each bit just reload and go again. The Carlos save is effectively infinite if you want it to be which makes grinding the 2000 kill record easy. You can get most of the records done in a couple of hours max.

You can then do the campaign very quickly - my record is 1hr4mins. You can absolutely fly through it. On Inferno I got to the final boss in 1hr1min.

Â