• Wesley
    • Trézéguet
    • Houeihane (Nakamba 56)
    • Trézéguet (Jota 84)
    • Lansbury (El Ghazi 90+2)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/12/19 at 15:00

Thought Villa knocked it about well at times with Grealish again the outstanding player on the pitch. If Villa are to stay up then Jack must be a Villa player for the rest of the season.

Liked the looked of the new CB pairing with Hause dealing well with anything in the air.

However, it’s obvious to everyone that Villa’s weaknesses are in midfield and attack which need to be addressed before the Jan window closes.

Wes has been given a reasonable amount of games by the manager now to start repaying his faith in him but generally has been found wanting. His lack of movement and physicality is frustrating to watch which is making him too easily marked out of games by Premiership defenders. Kodjia should replace Wes until a better striker is purchased.

I can’t for the life of me understand why Hourihane is still playing the role of a bit part player in Villa’s midfield. Goal scoring midfielder with great delivery and much more affective than Marvelous or Luiz at DM. Villa always look better balanced to me with Hourihane in the team and can’t rely on Grealish to score in every game.

For me Villa’s best team is Kodjia and Hourihane starting with Marvelous 3rd choice behind Luiz.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, striker said:

more affective than Marvelous or Luiz at DM. Villa always look better balanced to me with Hourihane in the team and can’t rely on Grealish to score in every game.

For me Villa’s best team is Kodjia and Hourihane starting with Marvelous 3rd choice behind Luiz.

spongebob squarepants no GIF

40 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

I was getting increasingly pissed off by the Amazon commentators on the game going on about how great Norwich were, and I think some may have been influenced by that. Yes, they had some good chances, but our defenders stopped them or they didn't take them. We also had a number of chances that we either didn't take, or some good defending from Norwich made them look less clear cut. I thought overall that it was a fairly even game. Did Norwich make and complete more passes than us? Yes, but a lot of them were tapping around in their own half that we didn't challenge. That said, they had a few very good passages of play and looked a world apart from the team we played earlier in the season. That said, we also had a few good passages of play, and did threaten.

We are missing Mings and SJM. Two very good players whom we rely on heavily, Mings, whilst he makes a ricket by overplaying sometimes is very good defender, and more importantly a leader and motivator at the back. We are low in confidence. I think that the 4-1 against Leicester really shook us, coupled with the losses against Sheffield and Southampton. Those three games have been our biggest losses not just this season, but for a couple of years. Both the team, and Smith are young and inexperienced at this level and this is a massive challenge for them. Neither should be written off at this point. Remember, through necessity this team has been together for half a season and have been thrown into the fire against teams that have been together for much longer.

We also have weak links in Trez and Wesley. Both have struggled to adjust to this league, however I will say that both are still young and will develop, BUT we should not be relying on them - we need to sign better, or at least more experienced in this league and take both of them out of the firing line - take the pressure off and let them learn and play their game. 

We have four good (and long-term) central defenders in Mings, Engels, Hause and Konsa, Chester is also making a comeback and will be interesting to see how far his recovery can go (not too long ago we thought his career was over). Guilbert and Targett are good enough for the moment. I actually think Luiz and Marv are decent enough in a settled side.

Our issues are on the wings and up front - None of our main wingers (AEG, Trez, Jota) are good enough. AEG needs to be more consistent, Trez has looked poor and needs to adapt to the league, Jota I think is just not good enough at this level (but I do like him as a player and he is OK as back-up/cup player/against the weaker teams). We desperately need replacement wingers in January.

Our striker options are poor, Wez, Davis and Kodjia. It's a shame that Davis suffered his injury as I genuinely think he would have been more effective than Wes has been. I would even have considered playing both. At the moment I would also consider playing Kodjia as a winger - he has pace and does like to run at people, and out on the wing where there is a bit more space, could be effective. He is not an out and out main striker at this level. Ideally we need to get someone in Jan. Imagine if we still had Tammy! If we get a striker and a winger we could look at letting Kodjia go as for some reason Smith does not seem to want to play him.

In terms of playing style - we don't press the opposition when they have the ball until they reach the final third. This has been the case for a very long time. Other teams do this - why don't we? Similarly when we get the ball, we seem to get to the final third and then stop - again, this has been the case for a long time. I think that the lack of quality up front harms the whole team. We look like we are playing with 10 men a lot of the time. 

Correct, but thats nearly half the team.

When are we going to sign Wingers that work?.....Bolasie was another failed attempt at it. We had Traore and couldn't see the potential, so made a pawltry swap that looked good at the time.....where is the foresight?

We really do have to get better at talent spotting and talent appreciation.....sure we get one or two like McGinn, but there are more misses than hits......that needs to be reversed.

How long did Klopp have Benteke,? despite Benteke's huge reputation with us......He soon saw through him and moved him on......We have to show more Nous with knowing if players are good enough or going to be good enough or not.

1 hour ago, striker said:

Thought Villa knocked it about well at times with Grealish again the outstanding player on the pitch. If Villa are to stay up then Jack must be a Villa player for the rest of the season.

Liked the looked of the new CB pairing with Hause dealing well with anything in the air.

However, it’s obvious to everyone that Villa’s weaknesses are in midfield and attack which need to be addressed before the Jan window closes.

Wes has been given a reasonable amount of games by the manager now to start repaying his faith in him but generally has been found wanting. His lack of movement and physicality is frustrating to watch which is making him too easily marked out of games by Premiership defenders. Kodjia should replace Wes until a better striker is purchased.

I can’t for the life of me understand why Hourihane is still playing the role of a bit part player in Villa’s midfield. Goal scoring midfielder with great delivery and much more affective than Marvelous or Luiz at DM. Villa always look better balanced to me with Hourihane in the team and can’t rely on Grealish to score in every game.

I think Hourihane has to play.....Dean needs to find a system that covers his shortfalls.

some of the others coming in are no better.......but Conor can score goals.....the others can't.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He was absolutely excellent. His block on the line is gif worthy in itself 

They dominated our midfield the entire game. He is way too ineffective for this league. I’d play him over Nakamba though. 

Clearance was just sensational. 

• A much needed valuable 3 points----thought Konsa and Hause teamed up well, Targetts youth and inexperience showed---Jack venting his spleen at a hoofed 2nd half clearance--whilst Jack was open and as usual wanting the ball,---AEL and Trez flatter to deceive  thought AEL was real hurt when lying on the ground and signalling to the bench after about 25 minutes--but surprisingly he lasted virtually until the end----both need to work much much harder---a recall to Andre Green?
  • Heaton fully earned his corn----Jack is unique   ---where would we be without him?? the thought gives me the full ebeegeebees---Conor plays well with Jack,-the 2 have a good understanding and im puzzled as to why he does,nt get a great deal of game time,
  • the relief (albeit only momentary) for players and fans at the end was clearly obvious---it was great to get back to winning ways to keep a clean sheet---and to hear Sweet Caroline echoing around Villa Park once more-----its now time to get right behind the boys in Claret and Blue--with our full support and do our bit to keep the momentum going,-----VTID

I’ve just watched the highlights back and spotted something in the build up to Hourihane’s goal. Just before Jack passes to Conor, Trezeguet makes a run straight into the same space as Wesley and they become tangled up in each other. What was he thinking there! 

16 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I was too late in prematch thread.  I thought Konsa and Elmo came in because Engels and Gilbert got burnt by speed repeatedly.  Konsa has more speed and Elmo has more experience to anticipate better.  Konsa did very well,  Elmo had moments but as always he leaves opponents on the back post too open.  Heaton saved one sure goal and Luis the other.   

contrary to most VT’ers I think Nakamba is incredibly efficient and effective as a DM.   He’s the best we have at reading and breaking up play.  He needs to think a bit faster to know his outlets sooner.  But I think that could come with time.  

when house first came in at left back last year, I thought he was a disaster.  My apologies, sir, you have proved me wrong. 

Weslie is a great talent in the wrong team.  The other 11 play like he’s John Carew or Andy CArroll.   He ain’t that.  He’s closer to Romario (but taller of course).  Through balls on the ground he can be brilliant, but most balls are player to his head with his back to goal.  Either he needs to change his game (not likely) or the team needs to change to match his strength.  It might actually work for us to drop the wing play put jack and jota behind him telling them to hit the through balls early.  But the easier solution would be to replace him.  

jack did really well on the goal but Conor set it up and finished it.  

luiz seemed out of sync with the team except for that block.  AEG missed 3 decent opportunities.  Trez pretty much balanced promise with ineffective. 

I’ll take the 3 points and celebrate, but not hugely proud.  

I think Jack did more than really well for the assist. That Norwich player is still making his way back to Villa Park from the dummy Jack sold him. 

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

2nd on Whoscored with 8.1/10 behind Grealish. Probably due to most clearances 9 (6 more than next best Villa player Elmo), most tackles 5, most blocked shots 3 as well as 1 interception (most was 2). In a tight 1-0 win that's monster defensive stats

Always happy to be counter-argued with statistics! 😀  As the man says though, stats can be misleading.  I would like to see his numbers, for example, for unproductive passes, moves created from defence in which he was a creative component, runs not tracked, attacking threat etc.  While I appreciate Hause's commitment and strength I just don't see the front-footed dynamism we need with him in defence.  I think we're quite rigid and inexpressive as a unit with his limitations in the centre.  I do fear a team not as noticeably tame as Norwich will expose him.

And in response to Delphinho, I will absolutely bow to your superior vantage.  I was, alas, in stinky London rather than spirited Birmingham.  I'm always struck at how different the game seems in person.  Television is indeed a poor substitute.  I like Hause, I just don't think he's that good, but will certainly watch him more diligently considering the defences posted.  Very happy to eat my words!

4 hours ago, Shomin Geki said:

Always happy to be counter-argued with statistics! 😀  As the man says though, stats can be misleading.  I would like to see his numbers, for example, for unproductive passes, moves created from defence in which he was a creative component, runs not tracked, attacking threat etc.  While I appreciate Hause's commitment and strength I just don't see the front-footed dynamism we need with him in defence.  I think we're quite rigid and inexpressive as a unit with his limitations in the centre.  I do fear a team not as noticeably tame as Norwich will expose him.

And in response to Delphinho, I will absolutely bow to your superior vantage.  I was, alas, in stinky London rather than spirited Birmingham.  I'm always struck at how different the game seems in person.  Television is indeed a poor substitute.  I like Hause, I just don't think he's that good, but will certainly watch him more diligently considering the defences posted.  Very happy to eat my words!

MOMS player ratings had him equal with Grealish on 8 with Heaton MotM on 8.5

Kortney Hause- 8

The best of the defenders, Hause was fantastic. The aggressiveness of his play to nip in front of the attacker and win the ball time after time was refreshing. He dominated in the air, winning more aerial duels than any other Villa player. though the 24-year old’s passing was as no-frills as ever, having someone with the passing ability of Konsa next to him benefitted him greatly, and he didn’t have to lump the ball forward as often.

https://www.myoldmansaid.com/ultimate-villa-player-ratings-for-vital-boxing-win-over-norwich/

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think Jack did more than really well for the assist. That Norwich player is still making his way back to Villa Park from the dummy Jack sold him. 

Thanks for pointing out how I wasn’t clear!!! What I meant to say is that many have rightly pointed out that Jack’s dribble and assist were really, really, really good.  But I think they may be slightly undervaluing the pass Conor gave him to start that dribble and the clean strike Connor made. 

Â