Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Where on earth are you eating your curry? I think you need to try an authentic home cooked curry. I bet you’d soon change your opinion of them. 

If I had a pound for every time I've heard that... I've had them home cooked (by Brits, Indians and Pakistanis). I've had them in cheap restaurants and expensive restaurants. I've had meat and vegetarian. I've had mild, medium and strong. They all taste the same - bloody spices masking the food flavours underneath. They make my mouth burn, they make my nose run, they make me sweat. They give me the shits. And then worst of all, they linger - the next day I've still got the smell in my nostrils and the taste in my mouth. Rank. 

I'll have one with friends every now and then, just to be sociable, but I would be quite happy if I never ate one again for the rest of my life. 

Where have you been drinking your ale? 

• Like 2

Some of my most unpopular opinions on VT have been and are:

• The House of Lords should be abolished and replaced by nothing, because we don't need two legislative chambers and the HoL is a symbol of the open corruption in British society;
  • The honours system should also be abolished, and in the meantime everybody should refuse to accept them;
  • Sunday opening hours for shops are a ridiculous anachronism;
  • British people generally are mean-spirited and miserable and often genuinely unpleasant to be around

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It's difficult to come up with truly unpopular opinions. As Brexit and the election have shown, there are large numbers who will back wildly opposed viewpoints, on either side. 

I've tried to think of one that goes against the VT grain, and I think I've got one: women comedians are mostly funnier than men. I actually like Jo Brand, Miranda Hart, Sarah Millican, French and Saunders, et al. 

Suck it up. 

Definitely unpopular with me. She’s about as funny as cancer. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

If I had a pound for every time I've heard that... I've had them home cooked (by Brits, Indians and Pakistanis). I've had them in cheap restaurants and expensive restaurants. I've had meat and vegetarian. I've had mild, medium and strong. They all taste the same - bloody spices masking the food flavours underneath. They make my mouth burn, they make my nose run, they make me sweat. They give me the shits. And then worst of all, they linger - the next day I've still got the smell in my nostrils and the taste in my mouth. Rank. 

I'll have one with friends every now and then, just to be sociable, but I would be quite happy if I never ate one again for the rest of my life. 

You must just be very sensitive to spices. poor sod ;)

Regarding Ale. Tbh I can’t remember the last time I tried an Ale. All I remember is every time I have tried them I just don’t get the fascination. If there was nothing else going I’d probably drink it for the alcohol. But I just can’t understand how anyone can drink it for the taste 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I'd just like to chuck one in here. Carpets are absolutely disgusting, especially as nobody ever properly cleans then.

Actually, you've reminded me of another couple:

• Anyone who has a carpet in their kitchen or their bathroom by choice (rather than because their landlord won't let them change it) is a moron;
  • Anyone who has separate hot and cold taps in their bathroom by choice is also a moron
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Actually, you've reminded me of another couple:

• Anyone who has a carpet in their kitchen or their bathroom by choice (rather than because their landlord won't let them change it) is a moron;
  • Anyone who has separate hot and cold taps in their bathroom by choice is also a moron

Carpet in a bathroom is disgusting. Imagine all that piss festering away around the WC 🤮

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You'd probably like one of my own inventions - chicken & peanut butter curry.

You certainly wouldn't enjoy my scotch bonnet special

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

This I strongly disagree with. I actually couldn’t really stand drinking any kind of beer/lager/ale until the American pale ales hit the scene and now that’s pretty much all I’ll drink down the pub. What is it you don’t like about them? I can’t do a standard british IPA because I just don’t get why anyone would want to drink warm beer that smells like a homeless person’s shoe. 

They taste shit, all kinds of stupid flavours that really don't belong in beer

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

You'd probably like one of my own inventions - chicken & peanut butter curry.

I might find it tolerable . Sounds more like Thai food, which I marginally prefer to Indian. 

We've talked about this before, but it's not just the 'heat', as I quite like chilli/Mexican food. Must be the other spices (garam masala?). I could never, ever visit the Indian subcontinent, for food reasons alone (although the climate would be another issue). I think I'm spiritually Scandinavian. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I might find it tolerable . Sounds more like Thai food, which I marginally prefer to Indian. 

We've talked about this before, but it's not just the 'heat', as I quite like chilli/Mexican food. Must be the other spices (garam masala?). I could never, ever visit the Indian subcontinent, for food reasons alone (although the climate would be another issue). I think I'm spiritually Scandinavian. 

As you’d probably expect the Indian food in India is another level in terms of taste. Amazing food. (Well Punjab anyway). I think it’s because all the ingredients are fresh.  I always put a ridiculous amount of weight on whenever I go. 

so out of interest. What food tickles your fancy?

26 minutes ago, sne said:

Seinfeld is a very overrated TV-show

It hasn't aged very well, especially the first few seasons. But it is still miles ahead of Friends, whose popularity I never understood.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As you’d probably expect the Indian food in India is another level in terms of taste. Amazing food. (Well Punjab anyway). I think it’s because all the ingredients are fresh.  I always put a ridiculous amount of weight on whenever I go. 

so out of interest. What food tickles your fancy?

European, particularly French and Italian. But I'm fairly happy with trad British stuff - fish and chips, meat and two veg, fried breakfasts, that sort of thing. 

• Like 1

Â