Pre match thread

roonst83

6 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

You must have missed him when he was given the run around by the Liverpool under 4's team then.

Just no.

Didn't do much wrong against Liverpool. We all know his attacking isn't great but he doesn't defend like a clown like Targett.

And for the record i don't rate either of them but Taylor is better at defending.

Edited by villalad21
  • Haha 1

We’re in a bad run, but the 2-0 win at home to Newcastle and the 2-2 draw with Man Utd at Old Trafford aren’t too far back... I think we will beat Norwich for what it’s worth, and then a couple more wins and confidence will start to build again. 

• Like 2

Both Godfrey and once again Klose will be missing from the Norwich central defense.

Grant Hanley who must be way off a 100% to start. He's a solid Championship CB but nothing more. He's only played 90 mins alongside Zimmermann at CB this season.

Wesley's last good game was against Norwich a couple months ago but Kodjia has looked livelier in recent games.

3 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

So are Sheffield United so clearly they haven't read your script!

I think Wilder is an excellent manager, that’s not to say that Smith isn’t but I’d be surprised if Sheffield United maintain their start to the season

• Like 1

12 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Feels like a lifetime ago.

There probably have been several thousand villalad21 posts in between the two results, but it was only a month ago today.

Short term thinking is a curse.

I'm definitely nervous about the Norwich game with Mings and McGinn out, but I think Norwich's style suits us. They'll give us space to attack, and they don't have that lightning pace in attack that seems to cause us problems on the counter. I predict an unpleasant 3-2 win out of this, with Jack MOTM, but could definitely see us losing points as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/12/2019 at 10:46, rjw63 said:

I want my wife to have a nice Boxing day so I'll probably avoid this game completely ;)

Mine wants to watch it, we’ve also got some family round so I’m expecting a win or Christmas is ruined. Come on Villa, don’t disappoint me this time, please. 

It feels like Smith has already tried everything in terms of personnel changes and yet we still end up with the same results. Having said that I'd bring Elmo in for Guilbert, Kodjia in for Wesley and play Jack in the middle.

I'd resist the call for 3 at the back given we've chopped and changed players in defence already. Imposing a new system on them would no doubt produce even more chaotic displays. Furthermore, the goals we conceded against Southampton were down to a lackadaisical approach rather than a lack of bodies.

Not confident at all and not particularly looking forward to going and having to listen to the growing anti-Smith brigade from about the 5th minute onwards. Lose today and I think we'll be back to the toxic atmosphere we thought we'd left behind.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

...not particularly looking forward to going and having to listen to the growing anti-Smith brigade from about the 5th minute onwards. Lose today and I think we'll be back to the toxic atmosphere we thought we'd left behind.

I feel your pain. Pre-season everyone's a mature knowledgeable fan who is expecting ups and downs and can take a high level view, but a handful of poor performances and the toxicity sets in.

I don't believe DOL's assessment that Villa fans are uniquely fickle, but a small portion are manic.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

2 powderpuff managers up against each other. There will be no defending from either side and many goals.

If there was a dislike button, you would win every day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We are in a slump, but all bad runs end, just like it did last season.

It doesn't have to be a 10 match winning streak, I just hope it ends today.

I think this’ll be the team, 

Heaton
Guilbert      Engels  Hause      Targett

Nakamba       Luiz       Hourihane

El Ghazi                      Grealish
                           Wesley

Can’t really see us lining up any other way, but  I would probably give Kodjia a crack up front, couldn’t do any harm. He might not pass, or do anything defensively, but he’ll probably score

Edited by alreadyexists

McBurnie's goal vs Brighton is an example of the type of goal we should be able to score with Kodjia up front. A ball over the top for him to run onto and you know he'll be single-minded enough to go for goal, something that has been sadly lacking in our centre-forward play all season.