Pre match thread

roonst83

Bit early for this, but we must try something different now.  Will never happen, but I would go with something like this:

————————————Heaton————————————

——————Konsa———Engels———Hause—————

Elmo                                                            Targett 

Luiz                 Nakamba

Grealish 

Wesley              Kodjia

Subs:  Nyland, Chester, Guilbert, Lansbury, Hourihane, El G, Jota

5-3-2 without the ball.  3-5-2 with the ball.  

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Bit early for this, but we must try something different now.  Will never happen, but I would go with something like this:

————————————Heaton————————————

——————Konsa———Engels———Hause—————

Elmo                                                            Targett 

Luiz                 Nakamba

Grealish 

Wesley              Kodjia

I came to  post almost exactly the same team.

I think with Mings out, we simply don't have enough quality at centre half to make one of the other pairings work - I'd play all three in the hope of some sort of solidity - playing at wing back will be a challenge for Targett who prefers to work with someone ahead of him, but Grealish will drift out there anyway. I'd play Guilbert rather than Elmo;  playing with no one in front helping at all will not be a new experience for him as he's used to having El Ghazi.

Luiz and Nakamba can then hold and hopefully make us that bit more solid - Grealish can go where he likes and be more involved, Wesley can link up play and Kodjia can think about making himself look good. It's a bit more route one - a bit more launch it into the corners and see, a bit less team- a bit more defend-and-give-it-to-Jack - back to basics if you like.

I don't think it's the future, but I think given our current position it might be a good idea.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think with Mings out, we simply don't have enough quality at centre half to make one of the other pairings work - I'd play all three in the hope of some sort of solidity - playing at wing back will be a challenge for Targett who prefers to work with someone ahead of him, but Grealish will drift out there anyway. I'd play Guilbert rather than Elmo;  playing with no one in front helping at all will not be a new experience for him as he's used to having El Ghazi.

Luiz and Nakamba can then hold and hopefully make us that bit more solid - Grealish can go where he likes and be more involved, Wesley can link up play and Kodjia can think about making himself look good. 

I don't think it's the future, but I think given our current position it might be a good idea.

The CB pairing is the one area I worry about the most with Mings out.  I thought Hause would be that steel, but now i’m doubting he has it in him.  At least with 3 CB’s playing you’d hope each will cover the other. Like you say, it’s not the future, it’s purely to stop the rot and keep some clean sheets.

I picked Elmo for this game simply on his experience, which I think is needed and the fact that he’s still the best crosser of a ball in the club.  

The other niggle for me was seeing if we could accommodate Jota somewhere? I love his eye for a pass, but having him in the team at this level just appears to weaken us somewhat.  

I’m dreading the game if I’m honest.  They will really want to show us what was missing at Carrow Road and I doubt we’re up for the fight.  Do we have eleven players that want to scrap for the right to play?   Big few days for Smith and his team that’s for sure. 

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

The CB pairing is the one area I worry about the most with Mings out.  I thought Hause would be that steel, but now i’m doubting he has it in him.  At least with 3 CB’s playing you’d hope each will cover the other. Like you say, it’s not the future, it’s purely to stop the rot and keep some clean sheets.

Absolutely agree. 

• Like 1

The first must win of the season. I'd try:

Heaton

Guilbert, Konsa, Engels, Targett

Nakamba

Grealish               Hourihane

Trezeguet                          El Ghazi

Kodjia

• Like 1

I advocated 3-5-2 for the Sheffield Utd game, thought with Mings out and the way the blades set up it was a perfect time to try it, this game I'm not too sure but one things for certain we need to try something or it will be another horrible day at Villa Park.

Teams have completely figured out how to get at us and it is imperative that we put a stop to it with some kind of formation or personnel change. 

This is a massive, massive game and I think we need some experience to guide us over the line therefore I'd recall Chester and Elmohamady for this and see if we can be more solid. I'd go;

Heaton

Elmo      Chester      Konsa       Targett 

Nakamba   Luiz    

Grealish 

Jota               Wesley            Kodjia 

I think the limitations in our squad are there to see, and in the team above, but what we all want to see is more desire, more passion, more hunger and more fight, today was a bad day and we need to bounce back and show these traits because if we do I still think we are genuinely good enough to stay up!

UTV 

• Like 1

I would go with a 4411. We need to bring in someone who can help Grealish with the creativity around the box, and allow Wesley to play off the shoulder of the last man. For me, I would bring in Jota, as he and Grealish have a great connection, and someone who can pick a pass as well as score some goals. He can also help connect the center mids with Wesley that is not happening at the minute. His lack of pace won't be as noticeable in the middle as it will out wide.

I would bring Chester into the back four, we need his leadership, even if it is for just one game at a time.

VillaNorwich.png

I am back in the office on 26th dec (on my own) but consoled myself with the fact that I could watch it on my iPad via Amazon prime....in fact, i saw it as a highlight of my day.

Now.....NOW I'm almost dreading it and can see a messy 1-2 to them. I know others have already said it but we are firmly in the sh1t now.

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Luiz and Nakamba can then hold and hopefully make us that bit more solid - Grealish can go where he likes and be more involved, Wesley can link up play and Kodjia can think about making himself look good. It's a bit more route one - a bit more launch it into the corners and see, a bit less team- a bit more defend-and-give-it-to-Jack - back to basics if you like.

Almost identical for me too, but I would put Chester in instead of Engels, more experience to hold the three together.

The movement and craft of Cantwell along with how Pukki gets behind the defence and the quality of Aarons and Buendia really worries me. We’re a wounded animal and if Norwich had any sense they’d look at the Leicester game and Saints game and hurt us.

Need a reaction. Praying we get one 

Heaton

Elmo    Chester    Hause   Targett

Luiz

Grealish       Hourihane

Trez            Kodjia             El Ghazi

This team screams Championship, but at the moment it's the best we have.

We need some stability at the back, Chester is the most experienced centre back and should be able to organise things.

Guilbert was shocking yesterday, Elmo needs to come back into the side.

Midfield is any from Luiz, Hourihane or Nakamba. Personally thought Nakamba was poor yesterday.

Grealish has to be in the middle.

Time to give Kodjia a run up front.

I see that a defeatist attitude has set in in this thread so I’ll try and spread some positivity. My team would be: 

Heaton 

Guilbert Engels Konsa Targett

Luiz Nakamba Grealish 

El Ghazi Wesley Trezeguet 

Bench: Steer, Elmohamady, Taylor, Hause, Lansbury, Davis, Kodjia

They have some very good players, it will be a challenge, no doubt. We’ll have to watch out for Pukki, Cantwell, Aarons and Lewis especially. I think we can stifle them, we’re due a win and performance at Villa Park

• Like 2