Match Thread: Villa v Southampton

limpid

My wife complained at the start of the season that we hadn't been to Villa Park for about 4 years, and wanted to see a game.

I almost got tickets for Burnley but changed my mind.

At the moment it looks like at least another 4 years before I waste 70 quid on tickets for these clowns.

And I hardly missed a game from 1976 to Lamebert.

• Like 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

I'm beginning to think the players are getting pissed of Smith still playing Wesley. I know it was the kids but they all looked like they were having a good time against Liverplop with Kodja firing them in.

Dare I say they are starting to play like a team who have lost the respect fr the manager.

Indeed. Everything just seem to stop whenever Wesley receives the ball.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Confused face

You found a way to blame the whole team being absolutely shite, not being able to pass to each other , keep the ball, defending like shit, and conceding 2 goals on Wesley not being dropped.

Just now, VillaCas said:

We’ve been poor all over the pitch but I think much of it stems from the fact that we carry no threat up front. 

Just saw the first half highlights and Wesley is just a spectator whenever the ball goes into the box

Our lack of threat has to do with the entire attack.  Wesley has been fine this game, doing good layoffs and dribbling up the field with the ball, even having a somewhat threatening shot on goal. El Ghazi and Grealish have done less than him this half.

The 2-0 score line is depressing but , more worrying is our style of play .. totally not as team/ no skill / no heart etc .It seemed our only hope is Grealish is doing a magic or Someone hoof into the box & hope pin ball / scramble . worrying times 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sne said:

If only it was that simple. Moving Grealish on the flank is pretty much the only thing that has worked for us this season.

I wouldn't mind if he was back centrally but it's the lack of quality around him that is holding is back. 

and how has that been working for us ?

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm still supporting.

A team getting worst with no direction. A team that gave Tottenham and Liverpool a game but have no idea against Southampton. A team that continue to play a striker that can't score and injured players who are not performing. An to top it all off, our best player by a country mile out of the position where he can't  perform at his best.

Whilst I don’t agree with quite a bit you say, in all honesty I’m afraid I have to agree with this post. Mistakes are inevitable, but making the same ones every week worries me. I hope Smith can turn both this game and the season around. However if we don’t show enough fight I doubt our owners will show their sentimental side. I’m not sure the recruitment team have covered themselves in glory either. 

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Powder puff coach and you get a powder puff team

I would say that a powder puff coach would not have got us promoted playing quality football. A powder puff coach would not have got us playing the best football we've played since the 90s.

I would suggest that people getting on the Smith out train might be better served on the **** off and support Man City express? Personally I think Smith should stay even if we go down and work with the new owners on coming back stronger. I'd much prefer that than go back to two mercenary managers every year and spunking money getting in players who don't give a shit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Our lack of threat has to do with the entire attack.  Wesley has been fine this game, doing good layoffs and dribbling up the field with the ball, even having a somewhat threatening shot on goal. El Ghazi and Grealish have done less than him this half.

Wesley has no idea what to do in the box