Most overrated band ever?

Oaks

13 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I think Abba are underrated ?

Seriously wonderful song writers and some brilliantly well crafted pop tunes.

Yeah and me, my mom is a big fan so i grew up listening to her murder them

Also think in the context of their personal lives some of the songs the bloke wrote for her to sing are mad, the winner takes it all probably being the worst

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

pre punk John Peel you say? So that would be when he was still married to Shirley Anne? But that's ok, Peel is cool. All BBC Radio 1 DJ's are cool with the kids.

I'm sure I'd find this funny if I understood it. Shirley Anne? 

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm sure I'd find this funny if I understood it. Shirley Anne? 

John Peel got 15-year-old pregnant after meeting at Black Sabbath concert, claims woman

A former pub landlady has claimed she had an abortion after a three-month affair with DJ John Peel when she was a 15-year-old schoolgirl.

Telegraph

^^^^^^^^^^^

This was the affair. Shirley Anne was the wife - He married her when she was 15, though claims he didn't know.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Ah, OK. I guess that makes him another unperson, then. 

Well that's the thing, I don't know how it works.

There are a number of claims against him, some more than claims, some have a marriage certificate. But somehow, he's not in the same category as lots of others from 'that time'. Hell, I think Dave Lee Travis got more grief for grabbing someones tits than Peel did for under age marriage.

It does appear to depend to an extent on whether you are perceived as 'cool'.

• Like 2

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Well that's the thing, I don't know how it works.

There are a number of claims against him, some more than claims, some have a marriage certificate. But somehow, he's not in the same category as lots of others from 'that time'. Hell, I think Dave Lee Travis got more grief for grabbing someones tits than Peel did for under age marriage.

It does appear to depend to an extent on whether you are perceived as 'cool'.

Peel's marriage wasn't underage, it was in a US State where marriage was legal at that age iirc

Going a bit off-topic here, but Peel's re-invention as the darling of the post-punk generation epitomised what I hated about that era. It wasn't enough to like the new stuff (which in many cases I did) - you also had to hate the old stuff (which I most certainly didn't). 

3 hours ago, BillyShears said:

Not necessarily true Mike, people like Bowie, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Lou Reed, and many many more were well liked by Punks (huge generalisation I know). 

Sure. There was a selective list of older artists that it was 'acceptable' to like. Others had to be written out of history. Prog rock? Bad. Country rock? Bad. And so on. Utter nonsense, that Peel should have risen above. But he was no better than all the other trend chasers. 

On 23/08/2018 at 22:49, villa4europe said:

they're definitely making the most of guitar music being pretty shit right now

Not a year goes by without somewhere seemingly declaring the death of guitar/rock music, like there isn't an absolute boatload of great stuff out there that really has never been more easily accessible.  Suppose it does depend on how broad a definition of guitar music we're talking about though.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Not a year goes by without somewhere seemingly declaring the death of guitar/rock music, like there isn't an absolute boatload of great stuff out there that really has never been more easily accessible.  Suppose it does depend on how broad a definition of guitar music we're talking about though.

I put it in the context of headlining a festival, there is a lot of good stuff out there to listen to but in terms of popularity and draw the number of bands in the last 5 years who can headline a festival? There are none imo, glasto and reading/leeds size festival, the only ones who could headline the other stage are wolf alice, catfish or royal blood

Thats why every summer you can guarantee kasabian will headline a big festival (so will kings of leon and the killers) 

The likes of blossoms, bastille, 1975 etc just arent ever going to be good enough 

I think we've got more choice than ever with festivals though, so perhaps ultimately there winds up being some dilution at the big ones as you can have a more tailored experience at the small/medium-sized ones and the better, slightly leftfield acts then get spread out across them.

We live in a world where At The Drive-In wind up supporting Royal Blood though, so to be honest it's all bonkers to me anyway. ?

• Like 1

Â