Most overrated band ever?

Oaks

18 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Potentially gonna annoy some of the elders here and I feel a bit mean for the suggestion, but Marc Bolan/T.Rex maybe?

As with other suggestions, I don’t think they were shit, they had some good tunes, one or two excellent ones. But as can be the effect of untimely deaths, Bolan’s legacy is overestimated because of it, in my opinion.

Spot on. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Potentially gonna annoy some of the elders here and I feel a bit mean for the suggestion, but Marc Bolan/T.Rex maybe?

As with other suggestions, I don’t think they were shit, they had some good tunes, one or two excellent ones. But as can be the effect of untimely deaths, Bolan’s legacy is overestimated because of it, in my opinion.

Agree, the first 3 T-Rex albums aside its mainly bollocks. Early death and pretty boy looks account for an awful lot of his fandom

• Like 1

Abba.

2 goddam movies have been spawned because the public "love" Abba so much.  The music was bad when performed by the band, then they let amateurs have a crack at it in the movie and actually make it worse. It seemed like some sort of mass brain washing had occurred to force everyone to love listening to generic pop songs sung in karaoke fashion.

Whilst I am at it, every DJ who ever mixed two records together is over rated.  The lot of them. 

5 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Abba.

2 goddam movies have been spawned because the public "love" Abba so much.  The music was bad when performed by the band, then they let amateurs have a crack at it in the movie and actually make it worse. It seemed like some sort of mass brain washing had occurred to force everyone to love listening to generic pop songs sung in karaoke fashion.

Masters of the pop song. Not my bag but there is a craft to admire there. Though the whole Mama Mia film industry bollocks is annoying

5 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Whilst I am at it, every DJ who ever mixed two records together is over rated.  The lot of them. 

Wassat got to do with bands. I presume you're referring to the mashup, if so I'd agree but every DJ mixes two records together that's their job

See the Blondie / Doors mashup on one of Blondie's Greatest Hits albums for something that makes me want to kill random people

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Masters of the pop song. Not my bag but there is a craft to admire there. Though the whole Mama Mia film industry bollocks is annoying

Wassat got to do with bands. I presume you're referring to the mashup, if so I'd agree but every DJ mixes two records together that's their job

If I had got my way with DJ's I would have band every one of them......?

A DJ's job is to say "This is (name of song) by (name of band)", play the record, say "That was (name of song) by (name of band)". And repeat. Otherwise, STFU. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

A DJ's job is to say "This is (name of song) by (name of band)", play the record, say "That was (name of song) by (name of band)". And repeat. Otherwise, STFU. 

Nah, DJs with access to a microphone are generally rocket polishers. (Some radio Djs excepted).

in my circles speaking between records is considered to be the lowest of the low. The mobile party DJ

54 minutes ago, bickster said:

That's my take on them. They made a cracking song and that was that.

48 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah, DJs with access to a microphone are generally rocket polishers. (Some radio Djs excepted).

in my circles speaking between records is considered to be the lowest of the low. The mobile party DJ

I was referring to radio DJs. Which is the only sort that needs to exist. 

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Millions of people a week who go to clubs would disagree

Of course they would. Not me, though. Even in my youth, I never had much use for discos or clubs (unless there was a live band playing).

John Peel roadshow (pre-punk, natch) an honorable exception. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I was referring to radio DJs. Which is the only sort that needs to exist. 

48 minutes ago, bickster said:

Millions of people a week who go to clubs would disagree

DJ's have several roads leading off from it tbf.

The typical old fashioned radio DJ i.e Tony Blackburn.

The dick at the disco DJ who laughs at his own jokes while playing shit music.

In the mix DJ's one might hear at the weekend on the radio or in Ibiza, ala Judge Jules, Pete Tong etc.

Composer DJ's who create Trance music - (massive in Scandinavian and European Countries which is where many of these guys originate) i.e DJ Tiesto, Paul Van Dyk, Armin Van Buuren etc.

I still think the late 90's/early 00's where the best years regarding the latter type mentioned and is the better, more modern type of 'DJ,' imo.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Of course they would. Not me, though. Even in my youth, I never had much use for discos or clubs (unless there was a live band playing).

John Peel roadshow (pre-punk, natch) an honorable exception. 

pre punk John Peel you say? So that would be when he was still married to Shirley Anne? But that's ok, Peel is cool. All BBC Radio 1 DJ's are cool with the kids.

Â