Most overrated band ever?

Oaks

I own a couple of Oasis albums don't get me wrong, but I honestly never knew there were people around who would, with a straight face, even include them in a discussion about great bands or acts.

I honestly wouldn't have thought to mention them in here because I never knew anyone rated them that high. A bit like someone suggesting Status Quo to my way of thinking.

Saw Pulp in the OP - they aren't even considered the best band to come out of Sheffield! That doesn't sound like a 'highly rated' act to me.

Bob Dylan - Yeah I personally don't get anything out of listening to him - yet he's undeniably one of the best songwriters there has ever been imo.

Anyway it's The Beatles. Sgt Peppers is monumental and a great legacy. The rest of it? - hardly great is it doing a load of Chuck Berry songs? Biggest band in the world? probably still to this day. Best? Don't make me laugh, they weren't even as good as the Hollies FFS!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

A bit like someone suggesting a Status Quo tribute act to my way of thinking.

FTFY

3 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

aw Pulp in the OP - they aren't even considered the best band to come out of Sheffield! That doesn't sound like a 'highly rated' act to me.

They weren't even the best band to come out of Sheffield at the time let alone ever = 1 Album, the rest is average

4 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Anyway it's The Beatles. Sgt Peppers is monumental and a great legacy. The rest of it? - hardly great is it doing a load of Chuck Berry songs? Biggest band in the world? probably still to this day. Best? Don't make me laugh, they weren't even as good as the Hollies FFS!

Sgt Pepper - “What would you do if I sang out of tune? Would you stand up and throw tomatoes at me?” Yes I would, bags of 'em at a time. It's no wonder they changed that lyric but it sums up The Beatles

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i've tried getting in to bowie, there's a lot out there, not all of it works, i dont think he has more than a couple of good albums (the rise and fall of ziggy stardust the only one that would register a "great album" for me) but at the same time i could probably wheel off 20-30 brilliant songs by him and most albums have at least a couple of great tracks

Ziggy, Aladin Sane, Low,, Station to Station, Diamond Dogs and Heroes. Those are his only decent albums. Anything from Scary Monsters onwards is dreadful and there are decent songs on other albums before Scary Monsters but only a few

20 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, bickster said:

My list would include all of those bar Bowie, who I tolerate for a small specific number of albums

EDIT: I'd have to add the Bech Boys though :D

Are they the Welsh Beach Boys?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I own a couple of Oasis albums don't get me wrong, but I honestly never knew there were people around who would, with a straight face, even include them in a discussion about great bands or acts.

I honestly wouldn't have thought to mention them in here because I never knew anyone rated them that high. A bit like someone suggesting Status Quo to my way of thinking.

Saw Pulp in the OP - they aren't even considered the best band to come out of Sheffield! That doesn't sound like a 'highly rated' act to me.

Bob Dylan - Yeah I personally don't get anything out of listening to him - yet he's undeniably one of the best songwriters there has ever been imo.

I prefer The Hollies too.

• Thanks 1

Some acts were undoubtedly talented (and probably influential), although personally, I don't like them. David Bowie is a classic example. 

But then there are the bands that were influential mainly due to 'attitude', image, possibly a bit of innovation, etc., without having much actual musical  talent. That's where I'd place Presley, the Velvets, the Ramones and the Sex Pistols (probably any number of post-70s acts too, but like I say, I'm not qualified to comment). 

As for The Beatles and Dylan, I can fully understand that people might put them in the first category, but the second, no, I'm not having that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

But then there are the bands that were influential mainly due to 'attitude', image, possibly a bit of innovation, etc., without having much actual musical  talent. That's where I'd place Presley, the Velvets, the Ramones and the Sex Pistols (probably any number of post-70s acts too, but like I say, I'm not qualified to comment). 

they're definitely a band i just dont get, i dont mind a bit of punk either but the sex pistols do absolutely nothing for me, everything about them seems so fake, they did 1 album that is ok at best, maybe me being a big clash fan doesnt help as i see them as a far far better band and i've read strummer's book which leads to the fake comment (the "i hate" Pink Floyd story) the stuff about sid vicious not even being plugged in for most of their shows but he looked the part

Despise Bowie. Hope his nasty little secrets come out and his records join Gary Glitter's in flea markets Worldwide.

Quite like the Beatles, but not enough to actually buy any.

Then a couple of years ago I got given some alternate mixes of famous tracks that were recorded by some of the most influential UK bands, 60s-70s.

The Beatles stuff is stunning. Much better than the versions on their albums, weirdly so in fact.

I occasionally play the collection to guests to watch them drop stuff.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

But then there are the bands that were influential mainly due to 'attitude', image, possibly a bit of innovation, etc., without having much actual musical  talent. ...

As for ... Dylan, I can fully understand that people might put them in the first category, but the second no, I'm not having that.

He's truly excellent with Lyrics/songwriting, but musical talent ?? I thought it was almost a self proclaimed thing that he's barely competent on guitar or keys.

23 minutes ago, blandy said:

He's truly excellent with Lyrics/songwriting, but musical talent ?? I thought it was almost a self proclaimed thing that he's barely competent on guitar or keys.

He varies wildly. He has indeed played some truly execrable guitar and piano on gigs, but I suspect that was mainly during his booze and coke years. His solo acoustic guitar playing on some of his early recordings, and the two 'back to trad' albums of the early 90s is pretty impressive. And I just heard a live recording from his current tour, and the piano (all he plays now) was just fine. 

33 minutes ago, Xann said:

Despise Bowie. Hope his nasty little secrets come out and his records join Gary Glitter's in flea markets Worldwide.

Quite like the Beatles, but not enough to actually buy any.

Then a couple of years ago I got given some alternate mixes of famous tracks that were recorded by some of the most influential UK bands, 60s-70s.

The Beatles stuff is stunning. Much better than the versions on their albums, weirdly so in fact.

I occasionally play the collection to guests to watch them drop stuff.

Different from the stuff on the 'Anthology' albums? 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Different from the stuff on the 'Anthology' albums? 

Aye.

Not everything is better than the mixes that made it.

The Led Zep is out there in a melty sort of way and the Small Faces are on a more acoustic trip, but it's the Beatles that really wow.

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Alabama 3   ... 

tenor.gif

Saw them Saturday in a freekin' castle!

They were immense, and their crowd was as loved up as always. Ended up holding hands with a complete stranger, again. Lovely people.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Thinking on it, I'll throw The Kinks in the discussion.

I always think of them as a band who did some good anthem type pop songs and yet some people put them up there with 'The Greats'

I think The Kinks are underrated. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:
2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Thinking on it, I'll throw The Kinks in the discussion.

I always think of them as a band who did some good anthem type pop songs and yet some people put them up there with 'The Greats'

I think The Kinks are underrated. 

The Kinks - nothing straightforward there, eh?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â