Most overrated band ever?

Oaks

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Also a prime example of my point above, that it doesn't make them bad, either. They got too big for their boots after Hotel California, but I still like large chunks of their first four albums. 

I like 'em too, I have all their albums bar the compilation and the live one

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Oh. And Bob Dylan.

.... am I the only one that realises he can''t sing?

No. You are one of the overwhelming majority who think he can't sing. You are wrong. 

(I'm amazed it's taken this long for his name to crop up, though). 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

That said: The Doors. Overrated tosh.

?

Always thought The Doors were underrated - Morrison's reputation as crazy wild rock star overshadowing what fantastic musicians they were.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Guns & Roses anyone?

Again, a band I only know the hits for, so I’m not best placed to say for certain. But I can imagine some of their stuff seems dated these days.

Also, kudos to @rodders0223 for discovering a sure fire catalyst for dormant threads. 

I saw them last year , I think they played 6 cover versions in their set

You'd just sorta expect the biggest band on the planet (at one time) to have enough material of their own  , though tbf I think Black Hole sun was due to the bloke having just died

But from their own material I think we can exclude them from the over rated category  some of their stuff still sounds pretty good today

One thing that surprised me watching Liam Gallagher live is the number of kids that are turning up and know almost all the words to the songs, many of which were b-sides released before they were born.  The Masterplan album is where Oasis's greatness becomes undeniable imo.  At the same time it's a bit depressing that for kids to get their rock n roll fix they have to go watch someone in his mid-40s.  

What's everyone's most underrated band?  BRMC for me.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

One thing that surprised me watching Liam Gallagher live is the number of kids that are turning up and know almost all the words to the songs, many of which were b-sides released before they were born.  The Masterplan album is where Oasis's greatness becomes undeniable imo.  At the same time it's a bit depressing that for kids to get their rock n roll fix they have to go watch someone in his mid-40s.  

yeah on saturday it was very very young in the crowd, i would guess around 75% of them would never have had the chance to see oasis

Virtually everyone on here rates someone, and hates others.

Now not including all the wank that's currently popular in the "charts", I think "overrated" to me is an artist that most people really like, and I think are "meh" or worse.

So my list would include...

David Bowie

Iron Maiden

The Beatles

Bob Dylan

Eric Clapton

Oasis

Arctic Spunkeys

Peado Jacko

Elvis Piesley

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I always thought "The Music" would get massive.  I saw them live at the old Carling Academy 10 years ago and they were so good live.  Welcome to the North is a fantastic Album.  Tingles every time for a song called "Too far" (the drum intro halfway through the song). 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Unlike The Eagles, while they were recording that album. 

"The Eagles greatest Hits" - I guess it must have been some sort of compilation of drugs and drinks they were on?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

i think in terms of my music bloc party go under the radar a little, the strokes and libertines ushered in the 00s but if i say indie disco is my favourite genre and nights out in snobs was my thing in that decade then silent alarm was a masterpiece for me, they've properly gone to shit though which doesnt help, i think they'll just disappear over the next decade

the hype they deserve has caught up with the national, foals seem to have timed their last album release to perfection and got noticed too, ocean colour scene and doves both got lost in the shadows of brit pop era bands

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i think in terms of my music bloc party go under the radar a little, the strokes and libertines ushered in the 00s but if i say indie disco is my favourite genre and nights out in snobs was my thing in that decade then silent alarm was a masterpiece for me, they've properly gone to shit though which doesnt help, i think they'll just disappear over the next decade

I kinda tuned out after their second album (which I liked). 

Off topic, but I view them as a whole host of bands from that time that were everywhere for a while and touted for big things.

Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand, Keane, Razorlight, Interpol, Editors (who I loved at the time) are just a few of the bands who had their moment in the spotlight for a year or two.

That’s not including the one hit wonders who were everywhere, the likes The Gossip or The Futureheads.

Back on topic, as they were from that era, based on how much adulation and press coverage they received maybe The Libertines or perhaps just Pete Doherty if I’m feeling charitable to Carl Barat who probably was fed up most of time having to deal with Doherty.

47 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Now not including all the wank that's currently popular in the "charts", I think "overrated" to me is an artist that most people really like, and I think are "meh" or worse.

David Bowie

Iron Maiden

The Beatles

Bob Dylan

Eric Clapton

Oasis

Arctic Spunkeys

Peado Jacko

Elvis Piesley

My list would include all of those bar Bowie, who I tolerate for a small specific number of albums

EDIT: I'd have to add the Bech Boys though :D

44 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

David Bowie

Iron Maiden

The Beatles

Bob Dylan

Eric Clapton

Oasis

Arctic Spunkeys

Peado Jacko

Elvis Piesley

Can't argue with who's on that list (some left off mind), even though Bowie and the AMs are fine by me, they are overrated. 

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

My list would include all of those bar Bowie, who I tolerate for a small specific number of albums

i've tried getting in to bowie, there's a lot out there, not all of it works, i dont think he has more than a couple of good albums (the rise and fall of ziggy stardust the only one that would register a "great album" for me) but at the same time i could probably wheel off 20-30 brilliant songs by him and most albums have at least a couple of great tracks

Â