Most overrated band ever?

Oaks

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Arctic Monkeys are the best band in my 34 year old life time, better than oasis

Yeah, definitely not overrated. They created a whole movement in music for a few years which was amazing to be apart of when I was about 18. Was such an exciting time. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Haha 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

'kin hell you've just damned them with faint praise.

The Arctic Monkeys are the best band ever because they are better than a Status Quo / Beatles cover band, sealed it for me, I've changed my mind

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

@bickster Fair points re AC/DC, maybe I was little harsh. I do still think there’s a “brand” that people go for, but not to the same extent as the Ramones.

I think it’s kind of difficult for the conversation to not stray into bands you just don’t get. You’re more inclined to think stuff you don’t get is overrated.

If I look at stuff I like. I love pink floyd, but I sometimes think their stuff they did with Syd is put on too high a pedestal. Some of it is very good, but I think they became a much better band later on.

I feel the Syd stuff is held in a high regard because of his “lost genius” status.

I agree with this. But then I don't like them after Dark Side either. Saucerful, UmmaGumma, Atom Heart, Meddle (and the film soundtracks) are the peak period for me. 

The problem with having a valid opinion on something like this is that you have to have a fairly complete knowledge of a band's discography, but to then think they're over-rated is to probably* not like them.  You don't often bother knowing the entire discography of a band you don't like.

* not definitely, but highly likely

• Like 4

Just now, BOF said:

The problem with having a valid opinion on something like this is that you have to have a fairly complete knowledge of a band's discography, but to then think they're over-rated is to probably* not like them.  You don't often bother knowing the entire discography of a band you don't like.

* not definitely, but highly likely

You're missing the point, dissing bands is fun :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

Annoying T-Shirt issue aside, they literally invented Punk, you can't be serious (The fact I know you never are is besides the point)

The Stooges beat them to it surely ?

there is an argument that Los Saicos invented Punk

This is according to a new documentary produced by

Noisey, which chronicles the short-lived musical collaboration between Erwin Flores, Rolando Carpio, César “Papi” Castrillón, and Pancho Guevara, and the aggressive, up-tempo rock and roll which rained down on Peru nearly a decade before the word “punk” was even in Johnny Rotten’s vernacular.

Such an easy question.

I immediately thought of those two Manc brothers who cant sing, cant stop slapping each other, and just rip off everyone else who has written music since the 60s.

Just climb your stupid wonder wall and fall off it head first, you talentless hacks.

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We went to a 3 days festival in Madrid last month and made a point of not buying tickets for the second day as they were the headliners that day   :)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Best thing they ever did is a Bowie cover version :D

funnily enough I didn't like Nirvana until I heard that MTV unplugged album and then I changed my mind on them and became a fan

problem they have is every saturday night pub bands wants to play Teen Spirit (along with Sex on fire)  and thus you get to a point where you're sick of certain songs ....

4 minutes ago, AJ said:

Such an easy question.

I immediately thought of those two Manc brothers who cant sing, cant stop slapping each other, and just rip off everyone else who has written music since the 60s.

Just climb your stupid wonder wall and fall off it head first, you talentless hacks.

as someone who saw liam singing in front of 50k people who were having the time of their life on saturday night its safe to say i disagree...

them being so simple is what their talent is ;)  as I've seen someone else say before if half way through live forever you're questioning the quality of the lyrics or the complexity of the chords then the whole point of it has passed you by, thats not what they're about

Arctic Monkey's are shit.

They were big when I was 16/18 with that shitty "you look good on the dance floor" shit, were constantly on the shitty radio stations and I even heard Noel Gallagher say "they're the best young band around at the moment" and I STILL thought they were shit. 

I hate them.  I hate all their shitty songs.  I hate their wannabe punk/rock and roll fake-ness when they are more of a shitty indie rock shit band. 

They are awful, their fans a more awful and **** this, **** me for mentioning their shitty band and **** you for liking it. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AJ said:

Such an easy question.

You're just mad because they kick off in your country every time they stepped foot in it :lol: 

And how anyone can moan about Oasis taking influence from their favoured music when *LITERALLY* every, single other artist/band do that is laughable. 

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1

Â