Most overrated band ever?

Oaks

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I have to say, there's a degree of physical revulsion in my case. Perhaps because I grew up in the Beatles era, when long hair was suddenly the thing, I always thought that the brylcreemed quiff hairstyle was the most naff look ever. And his podgy face and the curled lip. Maybe if I was female, or gay, I'd get it, but I could never understand how anybody could find him attractive. Possibly if you were a teenage girl in 1956, but later generations? Why? 

He also refused to go down on Cybill Shepherd. Bear in mind this is when she was in her prime and in my opinion stunning.

I mean, what the actual **** was wrong with the man? All those burgers and he refuses to eat that one.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

He also refused to go down on Cybill Shepherd. Bear in mind this is when she was in her prime and in my opinion stunning.

I mean, what the actual **** was wrong with the man? All those burgers and he refuses to eat that one.

9E46D073-ADC1-4406-87EF-11AB26B5E27A.gif

talked about it before in the albums thread but this year me and some mates have been working our way through the rolling stones top 500 albums of all time, its very american and some of it maybe leans more towards bands i just dont get but i think i've done 3 maybe 4 bruce springsteen albums now and they have all been utter garbage with no redeeming features

done a couple of U2 albums and they're bang average but not bad (did war last week, all that you cant leave behind, they're at least a 5/10) 

done 3 police albums, all would struggle to get a 1/10, i think walking in your footsteps is a genuine contender for the worst song i have ever heard

modern bands I'd say red hot chilli peppers had 2 cracking albums (californication and btw) and are great live but im not sure how they've achieved what they have, lots of shit in their discography but the most overrated recent band (just beating out muse who are shit) are the killers, 1st album was a good 7/10 with some great singles, done nothing of any merit since yet they're a massive headliner band 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

... me and some mates have been working our way through the rolling stones top 500 albums of all time...

Look, I tried to warn you... :D

The answer to the OP is the Smiths, of course. A fountain of chicken gravy consistency sonic diarrhoea.

There's loads of massive dull bands really.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

there have been some decent surprises but they are few and far between, i would say the only "winner" from it so far has been elton john, had tumbleweed connection and honky chateau and both are excellent

Some of Elton John's early work is magnificent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I’m not a massive fan of either, but I’d be tempted to put Jacko ahead of Elvis Presley in the overrated stakes.

What’s your reasoning for Elvis?

18-gentleman-meme-8.jpg

I've never really got into music from the 70s.  80s is abominable, and it seems to me the yoof of today are making the same horrendous mistakes in terms of silly barnets, shit music and style as they did back then.  Anyone from the 60s, and 90s to mid 00s get a free pass from me, apart from Radiohead.

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've never really got into music from the 70s.  80s is abominable, and it seems to me the yoof of today are making the same horrendous mistakes in terms of silly barnets, shit music and style as they did back then.  Anyone from the 60s, and 90s to mid 00s get a free pass from me, apart from Radiohead.

You appear to be the musical taste equivalent of a photographic negative ?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

what happens if you throw black sabbath in too?

both are before my time and one for "i dont get" rather than overrated 

I'd imagine you've just silenced the Holte End, Geezer Butler being our most famous "proper" fan (in a very unfamous way) and the band born in the shadow of Villa Park

Only a fan of the Stones and Pulp on that list, but I'm not sure any of them are particularly overrated. All pretty important bands in the overall scheme of things. I'll vote Oasis though, cos whilst Noel certainly knows how to write a tune, his lyrics are usually utter shite.

1 minute ago, MrDuck said:

Only a fan of the Stones and Pulp on that list, but I'm not sure any of them are particularly overrated. All pretty important bands in the overall scheme of things. I'll vote Oasis though, cos whilst Noel certainly knows how to copy other peoples work his lyrics belong in pre-school)

FTFY

• Like 1

Â