Most overrated band ever?

Oaks

9 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Tommy Dorsey Band.  Aside from "Opus One", what did they produce of quality?  Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman did it far better.

Ellington, Basie and Stan Kenton FTW. 

Black Sabbath. That guitarist can't play for shit, but what do you expect with two finger tips missing. The singer just sounds woeful, like a wolf with a bad throat. And the rhythm section, yeah, I said rhythm. They have about as much rhythm as the titanic. Awful band. It's like watching a bad 1930s hammer horror movie. Thank god Bon Jovi came along and rescued rock. 

• Haha 3

Chick Webb bummed Benny Goodman.

Paul Whiteman's outfit was one of the most thoroughly drilled on the circuit and provided the model for the UK's best big band man - Ted Heath.

'Rhapsody in Green'?

Dorsey was ok. The early volumes of Sinatra in the Niven archives are pleasant enough.

The David W. Niven Collection of Early Jazz Legends, 1921-1991

Archive.org

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

One of the most overrated bsnd members has to be Brian Jones. Didn't write a single Stones song. Doesn't have any memorable vocal. Didn't contribute to the last album before he died. His best contribution was the marimba on Under My Thumb. On the whole, just really overrated.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, maqroll said:

One of the most overrated bsnd members has to be Brian Jones. Didn't write a single Stones song. Doesn't have any memorable vocal. Didn't contribute to the last album before he died. His best contribution was the marimba on Under My Thumb. On the whole, just really overrated.

Slide guitar on I Wanna Be Your Man. But yeah, I've always felt the same way. Originally, it was his band, but he lost control of it to Mick'n'Keef, and found himself increasingly sidelined, probably contributing to his departure from the band, and death. They got the talented but passive Mick Taylor on board, ditched the last traces of pop group identity, and rebadged themselves with the sleazy raunch image. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Slide guitar on I Wanna Be Your Man. But yeah, I've always felt the same way. Originally, it was his band, but he lost control of it to Mick'n'Keef, and found himself increasingly sidelined, probably contributing to his departure from the band, and death. They got the talented but passive Mick Taylor on board, ditched the last traces of pop group identity, and rebadged themselves with the sleazy raunch image. 

The best move they could've made. 

• Like 1

But wasn’t it Brian and Keef that between them “invented” that switching between lead and rhythm that became a signature of the Stones and all the other guitarists since Jones have had to copy? Also any instrument in the Brian era that wasn’t standard drums bass guitar etc was him.

I don’t think he’s that irrelevant just because that signature sound is partly down to him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

But wasn’t it Brian and Keef that between them “invented” that switching between lead and rhythm that became a signature of the Stones and all the other guitarists since Jones have had to copy? Also any instrument in the Brian era that wasn’t standard drums bass guitar etc was him.

I don’t think he’s that irrelevant just because that signature sound is partly down to him

You're right, but ironically they ditched the guitar interplay stuff with Taylor, who was a pure 'lead guitarist' - and that was the period when their reputation peaked. The interweaving guitars came back with Ron Wood. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

The Stones released pretty much all of their best stuff Jones left the band.  He's a romantic figured because he died so young, and because the "27 Club" became a thing at around the time he died (Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Jim Morrison all died aged 27 between July 69 and July 71) he'll always be associated with the culture of rock and roll.   But you're right, he's one of the least important members of arguably the greatest band of all time.   

On 01/07/2005 at 21:03, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Pulp aren't even highly rated, maybe on this message board but not in the world at large. A lot of my generation can't remember them (and we grew up listening to them!)

What a load of tosh. 

• Like 2

Â