The Ghanaian Village Crazy about Aston Villa!

MikeMcKenna

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-ghana-lions-akwasi-21434881

Aston Villa fans have smashed an initial target of £500 in order to buy a wheelchair for a fan in Ghana.

Seventeen-year-old Akwasi is a Villa fan who travels for 30 minutes each way to watch the club play week in, week out.His disability means that he has to hop on one leg for the journey, taken with Ghana Lions, with a video of his journey shared on their Twitter account, with a caption reading: “He always walks 30 minutes from his house to watch Villa games. Football is more than just a game. The love of the game.”

After watching the video, Villa fans decided to do something to help Akwasi, with fellow supporter Kirsty Woolley setting up a fundraising page in order to buy a wheelchair for the teenager, so he can travel to watch games in more comfort.

The initial target was set at £500 in order to both get a wheelchair, which will also help the teenager in his everyday life and to help Akwasi in other areas, too.

The Villa fan is a student who struggles to pay for his school fees and his everyday living costs.

At the time of writing, the amount raised by fans is at £2,025, smashing both the original and revised target of £1,500, after just 14 hours of fundraising.

Great to see the Villa family working / in action🦁

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Spoony said:

This breaks my heart. Wtf is wrong with people. I would love for the club to get involved, encourage the reporting and outing of these people and ban them/report them to the police or do whatever it takes to punish them.

Whoever they are I hope our Ghana lions realise they do not represent humanity or Villa. 

Wtf indeed. Surely that can be reported to twitter and Villa and have those responsible banned from the stadium if identified?

• Like 1

Up and downside of social media.

Upside is I hope they realised how much joy they bring to the Villa family. Only supportive and encouraging comments to that post. Sad that these people writing horrible things manages to make the Ghanaians feel like that, because they bring so much happiness to other Villa fans. Whenever I see their posts I smile, and I hope they will be able to visit Villa Park one day.

4 hours ago, the_eristic said:

Wtf indeed. Surely that can be reported to twitter and Villa and have those responsible banned from the stadium if identified?

It might not be Villa fans doing it though?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Social media.

Utter **** shite.

Full of knobs.

Shame for the Ghanaians, they deserve much better.

The problem is it could so easily be a bunch of bitter noses doing what they do and sinking to astonishingly low depths to feed their sad & pathetically infantile hatred. It has to be Twitter who step in but the club should do something to embrace them in my view.

On 06/10/2021 at 11:20, Risso said:

It might not be Villa fans doing it though?

19 hours ago, est1874 said:

Because there's no racism amongst the Villa faithful?

To defend Risso here, that is absolutely not what he said.

I read it as "how do we punish them if they're not villa fans?". What if they're not even based in the UK.

Whoever they are, Villa fans or not, British or not, they should be arrested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â