• Jota
    • Kodjia
    • Trézéguet
    • Wesley (Kodjia 73)
    • Hause (Chester 77)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/12/19 at 23:59

14 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Lansbury was substituted. Why would you risk Jack or John even if Jota was knackered, which I don’t think he particularly was, but he hasn’t had much game time recently and so it was probably beneficial to keep him on the pitch. James Chester was playing his first game in 11 months, he probably was at risk of over doing it if he’d stayed on and so he was substituted. 

I’d say the reason he had some big hitters on the bench was in case things weren’t going our way and we needed a goal. As it happened the game was over by halftime and so that wasn’t necessary. All in all I think he got the balance about right. 

Why not make the 3rd sub in so many games this season despite players clearly fading or playing poorly, not just this 9ne but throughout the season?

16 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Lansbury was substituted. Why would you risk Jack or John even if Jota was knackered, which I don’t think he particularly was, but he hasn’t had much game time recently and so it was probably beneficial to keep him on the pitch. James Chester was playing his first game in 11 months, he probably was at risk of over doing it if he’d stayed on and so he was substituted. 

I’d say the reason he had some big hitters on the bench was in case things weren’t going our way and we needed a goal. As it happened the game was over by halftime and so that wasn’t necessary. All in all I think he got the balance about right. 

Might want to take a trip to spec savers Dave!  Wes came on for Kodjia and Hause for Chester.

Goes to prove my point though that Lansbury, who was chasing and closing down all game, faded so badly that you thought he had been subbed - yes, he should have been, but he wasnt.  Thanks for making my point for me.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Might want to take a trip to spec savers Dave!  Wes came on for Kodjia and Hause for Chester.

Goes to prove my point though that Lansbury, who was chasing and closing down all game, faded so badly that you thought he had been subbed - yes, he should have been, but he wasnt.  Thanks for making my point for me.

Ha ha you’re right about Lansbury!

Look I don’t think he has always got his subs right this season and agree that we were sloppy at the start. But their kids have got plenty of talent and played with nothing to lose. Nyland made some good saves, but goal keepers are allowed to do that. It wasn’t perfect but overall it was a professional job done in a game in which we were on a hiding to nothing.

Their coach thanked our players for the way in which we played the game. By which I think he means we weren’t over aggressive and didn’t bully them. Which is probably why we started a little sloppy. 

Weird night. Hard to judge players against that team but Nyland and Douglas were very good. 

I think we now know that Klopp was trying to get thrown out of the tournament by playing that ineligible player in the early round.

Onto the semis, can’t wait to play Man City over 2 legs...

sorry but these are the worst set of wonder kids I've ever seen. Really it should of been 9-0 to Villa.

None of thse bottle jobs will ever get a shirt at liverpool thats why they were all crying at the final whistle. Their one chance at playing at beiing at a premier stadium and they flapped it. One or two will  probably end up in and around the lower leagues the rest will be on the track at halewood. Even the so called boy gernius harvy elliot was in Taylors pocket all game. What kind of idiot plays premier league football with fulham then gives it up to play for liverpool youth team? he really is a mong.

If we had a few more players with win at all costs attitude it could easily have been 15-0. Kodjia was as infuriating as usual jogging back slowly from an offside position whilst we were building an attack waiting for him to get back. his appauling attitude changed when he got his goals.

Luiz always looking for a safe ball back to the centre halves rather than move into space in front of him. Lansbury done bits. great to see chester back.

The 2nd half seemed obvious to me Klopp had called deano's mobile and a gentlemans agreement had been reached not to do any more damage. Trez had about 6 chances on his own to make it a cricket score.

Good to see the hapless Wes break his drought.and good to be in the hat. bring on oxford

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

We did the job. I didn't go tonight so call me a fair weather fan. It is a bit of a shambles that plop played a youth team but that is not Villa's fault and  got through  with some positives such as Chester  and Kodjia getting some game time.  In all probablity we will be the underdoges in the semi finals in January but I hope we give it a right good go. I don't want to go through another Bradford shambles.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Shows how negative and poor we play in patches which against better opposition loses us games.

The amount of times we played it to louis only for him to knock it straight back to the defender rather than turn with the ball was embarrassing.

Played us into trouble countless times when we should have been moving it forwards or sideways.

That was why we looked so poor, midfield and taylor and Elmo knocking it back 85% of the time. Unnecessary and risky.

Some decent finishes including wes who I really dont think is doing anything for the team.

Well done nyland clean sheet good saves and despite having the ball played back unnecessarily several times only made a few wayward kicks.

Voted for kodja mom due to playing like a forward.

i was thinking the same.

but equally, I seen him looking upfield (on a few occasions) with the ball and turning back because no one was showing out to receive a pass, that bit is still piss poor.....that's why they get caught on the ball, lack of movement.

• Like 1

In the cold light of day....we done a job, we got the win against what could have been dodgy opposition....difficult to motivate yourself like that.

It was positive and will help confidence.

but surely Konsa-Luiz-Wes are only young too

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

It's nice to be the only team into the League Cup semi-finals for 24 hours! 🙂  The remaining six teams can look at us a little enviously. But I wonder if Smith will play our second team again in the semi or if he'll go for our first team this time.

Edited by robby b

10 minutes ago, Spoony said:

A complete **** farce. 

You've got a good point there, the EFL have let LFC down badly, surely they could have rescheduled the date for tonight's match... they could have put it back by a few weeks and the date for the final too.

Yes, Liverpool's youth team but that Villa team on paper was worse than the one that was struggling to win a game in the championship last season before Grealish returned. And that team had Abraham and McGinn. 

• Like 1

Think this game came at the perfect moment for us. Kodjia and Wesley needed a confidence boost going into the next 3 league games. Hopefully they both got that.

I was really impressed with Douglas Luiz. Think he just needs to add a bit of power and aggression to his game so he can mix it with the men in the Premier League. But in terms of touch, passing and vision, he has all the attributes to be a special player.

Fair play to Nyland as well. Last season I would have listed him as one of the worst Aston Villa players of all time. But made some great saves, and some of his passing play was so far ahead of Heaton that it made me wonder if we should try and sign a ballplaying keeper in the summer? Heaton's aimless hoofs are part of the reason we're struggling to play an effective long ball game.

Anyway, one of those games where no scoreline will really satisfy anyone, but we did what needed to be done, and hopefully it creates some momentum going into the weekend.

• Like 1

Â