• Jota
    • Kodjia
    • Trézéguet
    • Wesley (Kodjia 73)
    • Hause (Chester 77)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/12/19 at 23:59

10 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Very comfortable. Tough for smith now whether we start wes or kodj. 

Trez should have had a hatrick and jota got outmuscled by a 26 year old.

Had to mute the commentary when i heard alan smith knocking one out over the plop kids for the third time

presume you mean 16 year old? Unless something went on in the changing rooms.

Edited by VillanousOne

Moved the ball very well.

We retained possession and kept our build up play at a rate that only frustrated the Liverpool youngsters.

At the same time we were tidy and meaningful when playing it forward which allowed us to create and put the game firmly in our grip.

Through to a semi-final with a 5-0 win, I'll take it for sure. MOTM was Luiz for me, very sound performance.

In particular his delivery and touch meant that our transitions were purposeful and eventuated into threatening play.

Then his general play allowed us to move forward and keep things ticking to a beat and rhythm that suited us as a team.

Nyland played well, some of his saves and distribution were excellent. Really became an 11th option for passes without inviting pressure.

• Like 1

Great win for confidence but still some worrying signs that despite the score line we were out played for the most part.

• Like 1

Great to be in the semi finals but was underwhelmed with our performance though it really must have been a strange game to play in and fair play to their youngsters they looked decent on the ball and the scoreline was harsh and but for Nyland (MOTM for me) they would have had at least one.

Positives; 

Kodjia - although a touch rusty, may have done enough to get the nod for Saturday (his running into channels gives us another dimension).

Nyland - made some great saves, fair play. He's probably earned a semi final spot.

Chester - back on the pitch, good to see, but he's a bit off the first team squad yet (for me).

Big Wes - Tidy finish which will do him a world of good. I know he has lots of haters. But I'm not one. And yes I know it's only a goal against youngsters. 

Terry/Smith - Real touch of class going into the opposition dressing room after, makes me proud of what our club is about 👏

Negatives;

Sloppy in possession, no cohesion, gifted several chances, we didn't dominate midfield enough and individually thought Taylor & Trez were very poor and Jota who obviously can pick a pass is just so lightweight, thought he would stand out more tonight to be honest.

UTV 

5 minutes ago, smg said:

They won’t take any confidence if they read this. Do you watch matches and look only for negatives?

I write what i see, and for the most part we were 2nd best to a bunch of kids.

Nothing to be proud of for most of them.

Nyland and Kodjia deserve credit for winning the game, the rest, mostly meh.

Dont let the scoreline fool you, we were not 5 goals better than liverpool tonight, not by a very long way.

10 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Smith - 6 yeah, we won 5 - 0 but it could easily have been so different.  He continues to frustrate me with late and unused subs.  The midfield was crying out for fresh legs from 60m and he did nothing.  Yeah he maybe didnt want to risk mcginn and grealish but it could just as easily meant one of those on the pitch getting injured - i just dont get it.

His late sub scored a confidence busting goal and we strolled through the second half no-one was knackered. We were 4-0 up and cruising, I can only imagine your response if he had brought on McGinn or Grealish and they had picked up an injury. 

• Like 2

Nyland made some incredibly important stops in the first 10 minutes. Then we somehow founds ourselves 2-0 up and we could relax a little.

Kodjia getting a couple, certainly gives Deano something to think about, but I'm glad Wesley managed to hit the score sheet when he came on. Hopefully it gets his confidence up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

His late sub scored a confidence busting goal and we strolled through the second half no-one was knackered. We were 4-0 up and cruising, I can only imagine your response if he had brought on McGinn or Grealish and they had picked up an injury. 

If he was afraid to bring them on, why put them on the bench?

Not tired? Jota and lansbury were clearly huffing madly from about 55 minutes.  Each time liverpool had a spell of possession, they were able to stroll through our midfield with ease.

Too light weight, too sloppy and too weak.  But then, you could say that in nearly every game this season

7 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

If he was afraid to bring them on, why put them on the bench?

Not tired? Jota and lansbury were clearly huffing madly from about 55 minutes.  Each time liverpool had a spell of possession, they were able to stroll through our midfield with ease.

Too light weight, too sloppy and too weak.  But then, you could say that in nearly every game this season

Lansbury was substituted. Why would you risk Jack or John even if Jota was knackered, which I don’t think he particularly was, but he hasn’t had much game time recently and so it was probably beneficial to keep him on the pitch. James Chester was playing his first game in 11 months, he probably was at risk of over doing it if he’d stayed on and so he was substituted. 

I’d say the reason he had some big hitters on the bench was in case things weren’t going our way and we needed a goal. As it happened the game was over by halftime and so that wasn’t necessary. All in all I think he got the balance about right. 

Edited by DaveAV1

14 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I write what i see, and for the most part we were 2nd best to a bunch of kids.

Nothing to be proud of for most of them.

Nyland and Kodjia deserve credit for winning the game, the rest, mostly meh.

Dont let the scoreline fool you, we were not 5 goals better than liverpool tonight, not by a very long way.

We were 5-0 up , nothing to be fooled by, we sat back we controlled them second half what else did we need to do ? 5-0, 10 nil same result.

The result was a formality, good performance all round, but still a formality!

However the best thing was the sense of pride i have about our club atm.

After listening to the usual tripe spouted by talksport on the way back (Klopp is a disgrace apparently!) switched over to 5 live where they were reporting on how well the liverpool players felt after Smith and Terry went to there dressing room to congratulate them on their performance; It made their night apparently!

Its reassuring to know we have people at the club who care about more than results.

Taylor and Henri too were mentioned for their fantastic conduct on the pitch towards their players.

Its lovely to hear the club being mentioned in a positive light again; Kudos to all!

• Like 3

Â