• Jota
    • Kodjia
    • Trézéguet
    • Wesley (Kodjia 73)
    • Hause (Chester 77)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/12/19 at 23:59

Kodja was not very good. Watching him from Lower Holte, a lot of people complained about him.

Yeah, he run into channels and scored goals. But he would not have run into those channels or scored those goals against anyone league 1 or above.

Liverpool were a bunch of kids, we cannot judge him on this performance anymore than judging him on a pre season friendly, which is effectively what this felt like. 

Wesley still starts at the weekend.

• Like 1

I think those stats look about as what you'd expect.

It's how they've looked for most games this season. we are right near the bottom at attempted passes, possession% and touches of the ball. Only Newcastle and Burnley are worse in most areas.

I wouldn't say it's how we wan't to play, but it's how we are comfortable to play currently. We are also likely to be in a bit of a confidence slump following our dismal run of results in the league.

It was men against boys so just like they had more energy and drive, we had more composure and better execution.

Nyland shouldn't need to be MOTM for us but it all worked out.

50 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It has, but I don't think last night is an example of it. Seemed to me Smith told them at half time to just keep it steady and not to take the piss. We could have played a bit more and humiliated them but he clearly wanted us to keep the score down and not have our players exert themselves. If we could have just called it a day at half time, I think we would have.

We played in second gear, scored at will in the first half, then spent 45 minutes seeing the clock out. I don't think much can be taken from it at all.

I was only thinking about that this morning.

Given that Smith and JT went straight into the away dressing room after the game to give the Liverpool players a pep talk it's not inconceivable that there was an agreement of "we'll put the kids out for this one, so long as you don't batter them".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Kodja was not very good. Watching him from Lower Holte, a lot of people complained about him.

Yeah, he run into channels and scored goals. But he would not have run into those channels or scored those goals against anyone league 1 or above.

Liverpool were a bunch of kids, we cannot judge him on this performance anymore than judging him on a pre season friendly, which is effectively what this felt like. 

Wesley still starts at the weekend.

I am not so sure. Kodjia made a leap at the cross/shot/goal from Hourihane. It disturbed the Liverpool goalie enough not to come for the ball. I do not think Wesley would have done that. 

Kodjia simply is a much more direct goal oriented striker. He makes runs behind the defender and when he has the chance, he breaks free and runs at the goal with or without the ball. This is something Wesley never has done. In most cases he comes behind our wingers into the box. Watching Kodjia yesterday just confirmed how much we need a proper striker. 

• Thanks 2

As expected a bitter as **** reaction to it from them lot, expect elmo to be booed by them for the rest of his career cos he dared to celebrate his goal "like it was the winner in the CL final" 

Horrible set of fans 

Seen their international lot commenting on villa fans posts on twitter "but you're still shit" from guys in Algeria and Iceland etc 

• Like 2

Elm way thmself more than anything else. If he'd have scored a normal goal, he wouldn't hd in the samas celebratiave celohamady e wrateng ironically because of the.gebe wayoal went in, you could see that he was laughing at hithmself more than anything else.

Edited by useless
  • Haha 1

Interesting posts from this match reaction thread and probably the most split reaction I have seen our fans on how the game played out.

I think the fact our keeper got 50% of the MOTM votes is quite telling to me and if (and yes I know it is a big IF) they had taken one of their early chances we could've been looking at a very different outcome.

End of the day, the 2 goals settled us down and I do get we were playing within ourselves (in the second half) but overall I wasn't impressed with lots of aspects of our game, IE passing, moving, pressing off the ball ETC.

I don't think one player from last night really justified a definite call up for Saturdays game against Southampton which for me was a shame as I thought they would be chomping at the bit.

That said I get we made a lot of changes, some were a bit rusty and in the end it was a comfortable passage into the semi's so job done - I am sure we will field a strong team in the semi's and given a bit of luck who's to say we can't go all the way!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, useless said:

Elm way thmself more than anything else. If he'd have scored a normal goal, he wouldn't hd in the samas celebratiave celohamady e wrateng ironically because of the.gebe wayoal went in, you could see that he was laughing at hithmself more than anything else.

What did it look like before you edited it?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, useless said:

Hacked by @Demitri_C

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

As expected a bitter as **** reaction to it from them lot, expect elmo to be booed by them for the rest of his career cos he dared to celebrate his goal "like it was the winner in the CL final" 

Considering the only reason it wasn't a complete thrashing is because we didn't want it to be, their anger amuses me.

3 hours ago, useless said:

I actually understand what you are saying, which is a bit worrying.

On 18/12/2019 at 02:10, KentVillan said:

Think this game came at the perfect moment for us. Kodjia and Wesley needed a confidence boost going into the next 3 league games. Hopefully they both got that.

I was really impressed with Douglas Luiz. Think he just needs to add a bit of power and aggression to his game so he can mix it with the men in the Premier League. But in terms of touch, passing and vision, he has all the attributes to be a special player.

Fair play to Nyland as well. Last season I would have listed him as one of the worst Aston Villa players of all time. But made some great saves, and some of his passing play was so far ahead of Heaton that it made me wonder if we should try and sign a ballplaying keeper in the summer? Heaton's aimless hoofs are part of the reason we're struggling to play an effective long ball game.

Anyway, one of those games where no scoreline will really satisfy anyone, but we did what needed to be done, and hopefully it creates some momentum going into the weekend.

well, it satisfied me.....winning is infectious and the objective we set out to do in every game despite the opposition.

Kodjia showed some of the touches that was synonymous with what we know he is capable of.....his meloncholy had disappeared and replaced with that bit of audacity that is essential to his game.....He must do it in the Prem ' now.

Edited by TRO

I had watched the Liverpool Arsenal game in the previous round so I knew the kids from Liverpool would play well and cause Villa problems. Only for Nyland at the beginning of the game it could have been a very different night but the scoreline did indeed flatter Villa who looked very nervous at the start.

I was impressed by Kodjia though, or maybe it was just watching a static Wesley over recent games but it was refreshing to watch a Villa forward actually move plus have the skill to beat his man or should that be boy? Kodjia's movement allowed the Villa midfield to pass forward more rather than sideways and back.

I would like to see DS giving Kodjia the chance to keep the shirt at the weekend especially with Grealish back who will enjoy passing into space for Kodjia to run onto.

Â