Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Leicester

limpid

Match Polls  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/12/19 at 23:59

1st goal goes on DS as even a blind man could tell you Mings wasnt going to run that off.

If he makes the sub right away, mings isnt 20 yards behind play playing everyone on side and vardy cant make the run he does to score.  Felt konsa was really unlucky as he nearly stopped vardy .

Mcginn gave the ball away and committed a load of poor fouls. Hasnt had a good game for us in 2 months.

Wesley, doesnt win headers, cant control the ball, doesnt hold it up.  The rest of the team dont pass to him often so everyone clearly has no faith in him.

Wtf is DS doing putting elmo on Evans at corners? Their biggest aerial threat - ridiculous.

Having said that, el ghazi should have had a hat trick today.

Thought nakamba was decent, broke up play well, and i think that we lost control of the game only after he went off.

For me, mcginn and wesley atm is like starting with 9 they are so bad.

Elmo should not have started, hes just not up to it anymore.

Luiz had some great moments but some poor ones too.  Needs to toughen up.

Grealish - lucky man tonight with his kick of ndidi off the ball.  Thought hed grown out of that sh1t

I dont think we were awful, we created some decent chances, but the better team certainly won.  Ds gave them a helping hand though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

One bad performance does not undo all the good work in the last year. The important thing in the long run is not how we played today it's how we prepare for the next 5 games and the results in them which could be season defining. If the worst happens and we do go down, I'd still stick with Smith to be the man to get us back up and a better side for another crack at this league.

If we pick up 9 in the next 12 I’ll agree with you. 

if we pick up less than that, we will still be in the bottom 3/4 Jan 2020 and means we will be there fighting in May. 

That was probably our worst performance of the season so far. So no reason to be happy.

on the other hand, this was the best team in the League at the moment. 
reading the match thread is depressing, every player is the worst ever, a complete waste of money, should never wear the shirt again... we bought talented players this summer, anyone expecting them to perform at their best for an entire season is dreaming. McGinn, ElGhazi, Mings,... are not having their best time. Trezeguet, nakamba, Engels, Konsa, targett, luiz,... are all young and new to the league, of course they wouldn’t be playing champions league level. Wesley is the one problem, he should be a backup to a better striker and getting a cameo now and then.
we didn’t get the likes of cahill because we wanted to build for the future. This is building, as bad as that game was.

• Thanks 1

Leicester are very good. We aren't. 

Heaton - kept the scoreline somewhat reasonable.

Targett - should have been sent off, outclassed.

Mings - dropped his customary clanger, got injured, stayed on, couldn't run, goal conceded.

Konsa - bleh

Elmo - some nice crosses as per but second best to everything else.

Nakamba - couldn't impact anything.

McGinn - bluster, energy but nothing else. Looks jaded.

Luiz - put himself about and worked hard but to no end really.

Grealish - our only outlet but gave the ball away a lot, had very little spark, and ended the game in a pretty unsightly show of frustration.

Wesley - same story as the last few games. He's struggling, not seeing the ball, when he is he's not in position to make much impact. Gave the ball away which lead to the first goal which kinda summed up his problems ATM.

El Ghazi - probably the best attacker we had, should have scored at least 1, got involved in most of our good play.

Engels - the defence was outdone all day, Engels no different.

Trezeguet - his usual hustling performance but at that point we'd lost it.

Guilbert - on late for Targett, not much to say.

This Leicester side is very, very good, there's no shame in losing to them. We showed we could cause them trouble and it was only when they got their goal that we seemed to lose spark and from there lost the game.

A bad performance but the sad fact of the matter is we'll have these games. We're a promoted side, a flawed one. I'd much rather have us performing better of course, and we did look like we had no answer for Leicester which is a worry. We seem to really struggle to go past a player when on the ball, which is a concern, and we have a habit of overplaying chances, which is an odd trait we have to get rid of. We need a few easier games to get some confidence and swagger back after a pretty grim run.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

If we pick up 9 in the next 12 I’ll agree with you. 

if we pick up less than that, we will still be in the bottom 3/4 Jan 2020 and means we will be there fighting in May. 

We don't need to win 3 out of the next 4 if that's what you mean?

7 points from the next 5 games would put us on 22 pts from 21 games, 8 points and that's obvs 23 pts from 21 games. That wouldn't put us in the bottom 3 and we'd be on target to stay up (just).

Shambles today. If AEG scores that goal who knows what would have happened but our defending is atrocious - it's the way we set up and DS needs to sort it soon or I fear for him. 

Next five are massive and we have to buck up our ideas and start winning some f***ing football matches. I said before today that if we could get something we would have a decent run of fixtures but how much that defeat will impact them who knows. We must sort out this ridiculous openness that we have and control games more, we just let attackers run through us and give them so many chances.Today could have been a cricket score and away at Chelsea the same.

Entirely predictable. Even had vardy fgs & 4-1 at 55/1. Only other disappointment is I also had the same score with a vardy hattrick at 100/1.

Would you bet against us? You bet I would. Makes the inevitable slightly less depressing when you have a few hundred quid in your pocket

Heaton - 6 - Shipped four goals but made some excellent saves and without him it would have been 7-1

Elmo - 2 - as bad a defensive display as you will ever see from a fullback

Mings - 2 - Made errors before the injury, hubris meant that he stayed on when injured when he wasn't fit too, should have been honest because his lack of positioning contributed to the first goal.

Konsa - 3 - wasn't very good, positioning looks to be an issue

Targett - 4 - was half decent at times going forward, not good defensively, should have been sent off for a ridiculous challenge on Ricardo. 

El Ghazi - 4 - bright early doors, missed a sitter and really should have buried it. Did absolutely nothing after that.

Luiz - 3 - a total non-entity today

Nakamba - 3 - offered no protection, haphazard on the ball, looking poor after a good start for the club

McGinn - 2 - absolutely dog shit on the ball, weight of pass all over the place, rarely made the right pass, rarely in good positions, awful

Grealish - 5 - very sloppy throughout, brought down by the shite around him.

Wesley - 0 - horrific at everything and his terrible hold up play set up their first goal.

Engels - 5 - the pick of our centre halves.

Trezeguet - 4 - all effort no quality

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Yes its Leicester, yes they are really good, yes we were expected to lose but the manner of that defeat was embarrassing. The performance was shit, the players were crap, the tactics were dire, the manager was poor. We were all round utter crap.

Smith needs to be more dynamic and adaptable during games, been saying this since the start of the season and he refuses to change himself or the way the team plays. Players need a kick up the arse and Dean need a kick up the arse from the board. New contract at this point of the season is just bizarre.

Edited by Ingram85

26 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Wesley is miles behind Tammy and if he'd been our striker last season we would still be in the Championship. What was Smith thinking of paying £22m for that lump of lard. Relegation beckons.

I think Wes was one of Suso’s calls, suspect Dean would’ve gone for Maupay given the choice. Pity that's not what happened. 

Leicester is a really good team, a lot of talented players and a settled playing style. I think we started brightly and it's fine margins, El Ghazi should have scored when he hit the crossbar and then they go on and score while Mings was injured. Mings injury put us out of our stride and Leicester dominated until half time. The second half I thought we started brightly again, but was punished by them, then they show their class and didn't really give us a chance. I like the fact that we tried and didn't give up at least.

Wesley is a problem, the first half he looked like that player he sometimes looks like that doesn't seem to be a footballer, he got going a bit towards the end but it's not good enough. Can't understand why Kodjia didn't come on early in the second.

Â