• Hourihane
    • Trézéguet
    • Wesley
    • Luiz (Hourihane 58)
    • Jota (Trézéguet 76)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/12/19 at 23:59

32 minutes ago, Elton said:

It’s simple alright but it’s not a fact.

ohh right, take it tammy didnt score last night ? or wesley netted again..

the figures dont lie,

wesley does not shoot let alone score, your as good as your strikers

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

@TRO I’m not going to answer all that. You seem to have totally ignored that I acknowledged we were poor.

Of course I see the bad points...that’s the whole point, a child could see them, you aren’t unearthing something clever.

My point has been , is and will be, 9 months ago we were 10 th in the Championship. 
OF COURSE we can be poor.

OF COURSE we can be outplayed, outfought, out muscled, out headed, out thought.

OF COURSE we give away silly goals, fail to press advantages, miss opportunities.

And, OF COURSE it’s important the a Coach works on these things, and the Club looks to improve the squad.

Along with most other Clubs, and along with all promoted Clubs.

I can write your after match comments for the rest of the season, now.

Its just a stuck record.

Last night I had an interesting chat with a guy about the strengths and weaknesses in that performance of a couple of our players. We didn’t gloss over anything.  But we had the chat in the context of where we were as a Club, where we are, and where we hope to go.

We almost died 18 months ago. We were sleepwalking into another Championship Season just over a year ago. The rebuilding job has been huge. If we get relegated, it’d suprise few people in football....it’s common for Play Off Promoted teams to go back down.

Yet almost from game one, all you do is fault this, that and the other. 

Were we Man City under Pep, with years in charge and unprecedented money, it’d make sense.

Or Everton. Or Palace. But we are on Page One. Not Page 10, Page 40 etc.

I am not professing to be attempting to unearth something clever....I don't think football is clever....but I do think things are said that are simply wrong.... call it fake news to be modern.

You may have discussed with another fan, the strengths and weaknesses and you say you didn't gloss over them, but they haven't made it to these pages....Look Terry, I want to talk the thing up and we have had some good passages of play this season, ironically the goals for column is commendable, its the defensive side which is wide open and that includes the midfield and forward line.....The team has a soft underbelly.

You accuse me of ignoring your calls, that we were poor..... that's rich, because you fail to report my observations of Jack, who I think has been sensational this season.....other players have done well, like Heaton and the 2 full backs are an improvement.

If you think you can write my, after match, comments for the season, that's disingenuous, because when we do well i say so, but as the saying goes, if the "cap fits wear it".

Anyone will tell you around, where i sit, I only ever cheer, never boo.....this is the place to discuss our shortfalls not inside the ground, is my policy......and I will continue to do so, while they offer them on the pitch.

I accept, where we have come from Terry and I am the first to recognise the difficulties, but don't confuse the hopeful aspects of progress to the sophisticated progress of the top clubs.....many of our problems last night was basic.

question?.....are you telling me , that I am being unreasonable for calling out my team for not winning enough aerial balls?, because we nearly went bust last year?.......are you telling me that we were losing most 50/50 challenges, for the same reason?

I can tell you, despite your defensive mitigation of the team.....The manager was not happy and looked like he was seething.

Terry, don't paint a picture of not competing with teams like Chelsea,as if its unreasonable...Technically, we can't, i agree, except for Jack......My point is most of the things I am talking about are basic, fundamentals......and on that basis, I think your prognosis is wrong.....Be sure, we won't go anywhere, unless we can improve on our first touch, ball retention and off the ball movement, plus the other basic things above.

Edited by TRO

Taken me over 24 hours to get to this after a disappointing trip to Stamford Bridge.

Went into the game expecting a loss after seeing Tammy on the team sheet, however was hoping for a performance similar to Old Trafford last week. Unfortunately that didn't happen.

Frustrations for me was our inability to keep hold of the ball and work it through our midfield. Whereas last week I praised a lot of players for their efforts this week is a polar opposite. It has to be said that Chelsea really were a superior opposition and players such as Willian surprised me seeing them live and how good they actually are.

Heaton was class as always, he's our best goalkeeper since Bosnich and he's already saved us points this season. He kept the scoreline down on Wednesday with some fantastic saves.

Elmo was pretty solid for a backup player, as was Targett at left back.

Konsa and Mings were both poor. Konsa looked shaky and Mings looked like he had ricket in him with every pass out from the back. I would bring Engels back in this Sunday to try and restore the Mings/Engels stabillity.

Hourihane and McGinn were both ineffective. For me it wasn't a game that suited Hourihane, he's much better when we have the majority of possession. McGinn looks tired and off the pace, nothing seems to be coming off for him right now and he needs a rest over the festive period for at least a game or two.

Nakamba was Nakamba, broke up the play but had little help.

Grealish was good in spells but got caught more than usual. Unfortunately it was a game where Mount looked the better player due to the quality he had around him. Jack seemed to be stifled out of the game by Kante which was clearly Chelsea's game plan. I would consider bringing him back into centre midfield over the next few weeks, we need to get him on the ball more and back next to McGinn to try and get the best out of him.

Trezeguet was good in patches.

Wesley... didn't do enough for me. I've defended him, and I still think he will come good, but it's time to take him out of the firing line and give Kodjia a go (something Smith seems reluctant to do)

It's the hope that kills you in games like this. The way we got back into the game before half time was really good, we played some good football and then came back out after the break and undid it all. All in all though you can't be too disappointed losing to a top 6 side, although it feels as though we've said that a lot this season.

Onto Sunday where we will need a rocking Villa Park to get something from the game, with a hopefully much improved performance.  

Â