VT GOTY 2019 & Games of the Last Decade

Ingram85

Your personal games of the year, pick as many as you want. Only got a switch and been mostly collecting Gameboy and Gamecube games recently.

My 2019 picks are:

Links Awakening Switch

Astral Chain

Witcher 3 Switch

Ni No Kuni Switch

Dragons Quest XI S

Collection of Mana

Fortnite

Games of the Decade:

1. BotW 

2.Skyrim 

3. Witcher 3

4. RDR 1

5. Forza Horizon 3

resident evil 2

took me back to one of my favourite ever games, its even better than I could have hoped for, its an incredible game

im enjoying rage 2, its not great as a game but its fun, wish I could play total war three kingdoms and disco Elysium, probably spent the most time on days gone which again isn't great (certainly by sony exclusive standards) but in places its really fun

still to play death stranding, star wars and I might return to CoD

I'm going to split this into my Game of the Year per genre with an overall Game of the Year at the end;

I included some games that didn't necessarily release in 2019, but due to the endless nature of gaming these days if they released a big enough content update they were included.  

Horror: Resident Evil 2: Remake
Action: Devil May Cry 5
Action/Adventure: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Fighting: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
CRPG: Disco Elysium
ARPG: Path of Exile: Blight
JRPG: Fire Emblem: Three Houses
First Person Shooter: Escape From Tarkov
Third Person Shooter: Remnant: From the Ashes 
Platformer: Super Mario Maker 2
Sports/Racing: Dirt Rally 2.0 
Strategy: Anno 1800
MMO: Final Fantasy XIV

Worst Game of the Year: Anthem
Honourable Mention: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Overall Game of the Year: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Game of the Decade: Dark Souls

Not been a great year for me in terms of game time, really.

My top 3:

Disco Elysium

Steamworld Quest

Outer Worlds.

I didn't play many AAA games this year, probably only Outer Worlds which I enjoyed more than I thought I would, and RDR2 which I thought was incredibly tedious, and I abandoned it about 10 hours in. Rockstar games just aren't for me. I played the RE2 remake as well, which was ok. 

24 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

All PS4:

Torchlight 2

I can't believe that only came out this year on PS4, I last played that 7 years ago. Cracking game though.

Edited by Davkaus

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Game of the decade is a lot harder

The last of us just beating out the witcher and GTA I think, God of war and uncharted following from them  

I can't see past Skyrim. ME2 in second.

• Like 1

Game of the Year

Odd year this. There's been some good titles but you can really tell it's a holding pattern waiting for a new generation year. Resident Evil 2 doubled the number of Resident Evil games I like. Mortal Kombat came back with a really solid fighting game trying to do something a little different. Days Gone was... alright. DMC5 marked a return to form by all accounts. Bloodstained finally came out in all its I can't believe it's not Castlevania glory. Nintendo banged out 3 solid, if perhaps niche entries in their franchises, and had that augmented with Astral Chain which appeared to be Platinum on form. From returned with a slight move away from the Souls formula to much more muted response with Sekiro...

I don't think I can look past Resident Evil. That's a bloody excellent game.

Game of the Decade

This is a bloody hard call. Red Dead? The phenomenon that is Skyrim? God of War? Last of Us? Dark Souls? Bloodborne? Witcher 3?...

I think an argument could be made for all of those. And more. And depending on the day I reckon I'd give you a different answer. Right now though? Hmm... Bloodborne. Red Dead was incredible but ultimately it's GTA with horses, and 2 is great but I don't love it. Skyrim is astounding but it's only made great by mods fixing it, and it's been flogged too many times. God of War is incredible, nearly won this, but to be truly brilliant for me it needed to make a little more of its Norse mythology - a lot is left on the table for sequel bait. The Last of Us has great storytelling, but is otherwise tired. Dark Souls is exceptional, but has a very obvious point where the budget and time ran out, and no Game of the Decade can have something as awful as Bed of Chaos in it. And the Witcher 3 is a landmark, beautiful, great story, wonderful writing, brilliant scope. But the idiosyncrasies of the series hold it back - the strategic side of preparing for battles, and it feels a little off at times.

But Bloodborne... Bloodborne is incredible. The Souls gameplay but with the speed dialed up and focus on aggression. Brilliant world building that somehow mixes Lovecraft and classic horror and... Other stuff. Allegory and allusion dripping off it. Wonderful aesthetics, beautiful and horrific, awe inspiring and sickening in equal measure.

It's genuinely, genuinely excellent.

I’ll have to comment on the decade only as don’t think I’ve actually bought a new game in the 2019, so Game of the decade has to be GTA V for me.

Its 6 or so years old now and I’m still playing it regularly which speaks volumes.

Red Dead 2 has to get a mention, graphically and in terms of detail I’d go as far as to say it’s the best game ever made, it’s just not the most fun game ever made which is where it falls down.

The Last of Us, superb game (can not wait for the sequel).

I thought Until Dawn was quite innovative and somewhat original, but that went downhill halfway through the story (won’t spoil it for anyone not played it).

Battlefield 4 was about as good a FPS as you’re gonna get but I don’t think an FPS will ever win game of the decade, or at least it shouldn’t IMO.

The Unchartered series is awesome but not sure any one of them have been so spectacular to be game of the decade.

All these on PlayStation obvs, don’t play anything else (aside from clash of clans on the phone, which perhaps deserves a mention given I’m still playing that 6-7 years after release).

Top 6 Games of the Decade for me*:

1. Skyrim (PC/PS3/PS4)

2. Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

3. Diablo 3 (PC/PS3/PS4)

4. Ni No Kuni (PS3/PS4)

5. AC: Odyssey (PS4)

6. Saints Row IV (PS3/PS4)

*If more than one format, I played on all.

Edited by Designer1
Forgot SR4
  • Like 1

Can't do game of the year - nothing has interested me.  

Game of the Decade - probably GTA V for quality of world design, the fun and laughs I had with @Stevo985, @Ginko, @StefanAVFC - the fact that something on that scale was even able to be a co-op or player vs player, free with a good degree of the single player stuff.  PS1/PS2 me wouldn't have believed that in 15 years, a game like that could have existed. 

Graphics for me would be - RDR 2 - I deleted it a while back to make space of other games, but I keep getting the urge to install it again because I used to love hunting in the woods and just taking in the general scenery.  Plus some of the missions and set pieces were magical.  I loved the start, which was much maligned because I felt the struggle.  

Honorable mentions - Elite Dangerous - my first space sim, the scope of which is amazing and I love how difficult it is to do anything, yet when you get used to it, it just clicks.  One thing holds it back and that's I don't have anyone to play with.  I've played for hours, but there's so many things I've never done or seen.. I feel scared to leave "the bubble".

BF3, BF4 & BF1 - not including 5 because whilst it's getting better, there's still something off about it I don't like.  

The other 3, I've never spent so much of my life on these 3 games.  I'm into the thousands of hours.  About a year ago, I worked out how much time I'd spent playing them and it was something like 5% of my life since the games came out.. 

So well done DICE, well done Rockstar and well done Frontier.  

**** EA. 

• 2 weeks later...

For me, game(s) of the decade:

1) Witcher 3

2) RDR 2 (probably more immersive than W3 in terms of what you can do in an open world sense, but the W3 story wins hands down imo)

The musical score in w3 is amazing, there are numerous tracks or songs from w3 worthy of listening to just as pure music, and its probsbly the only game I have ever played where the story or quests were so immersive and emotional (if you didn't know the quests or story arc in advance)

Pure masterpiece.

.....I hate portals..... :)

Â