• El Ghazi
    • Wesley
    • Grealish
    • Trézéguet (El Ghazi 18)
    • Lansbury (Hourihane 81)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/12/19 at 23:59

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

They came from behind too Terry.

I applaud your positivity, but i wonder, would it have been so positive, if Mings never scored....it probably, would have actually.

i was delighted when he pulled one back, before being dissappointed that we threw away the lead.

its interesting, how chris waddle commenting, with them 2-1 up said " it still does not negate that poor 1st half.....such are opinions.

you see Terry, we have come a long way.....but still some way to go, to comfortably secure a mid table position.

when one player so overwhelmingly secures man of the match, its great, but also worrying in the same breath..

However, I think we are improving in general. 

I don’t share your concern about Jack dominating  MOTM...Messi does it every week , does that mean the rest of the side are poor, or overly reliant ? Loads of teams have always had stand out star players...in my humble opinion ( no offence meant) only a pessimist could possibly see that as a negative.
When I used to play we had an ex Baggies youth player who virtually always won MOTM ( though I did beat him to it twice) but that said much about HIM, not us. 

I accept we all want the same thing. Yes I would’ve been just as positive because the performance wouldn’t have been altered by the score, and I was pleased with the performance.

I just don’t see the game ( of football, in general) as being about “ mistakes, errors, threw this away, didn’t capitalise on that”....... there’s two teams, both will get stuff right, both will get stuff wrong.  Rarely will one dominate. 

And is it better to throw leads away or simply never take leads ? If you DO take the lead often, surrendering it more often is a mathematical certainty.

I just think it’s obvious we won’t eradicate our failings, firstly because nobody does, secondly because it’s such early days, and to me, the repetition of the criticisms is just that, repetitive criticism. But whereas the selection of a player, or a certain tactic, can - in my view - be called reasonable criticism, or reasonable debate, because they are ongoing, changing, ingredients, it seems to me that the generic “ character flaw/ need to toughen up etc” type is - again in my view, I’m not trying to tell you what to comment on - just pointless... You will be able to make the same observations if we play for a million years !

Every single time we don’t win, you will be able to say ( and do) that either “ we were never in that, poor”.....or “ we should never have thrown that away, poor”.....or “ we had a chance to Win that but..l”

..because every single failure to Win by any Club will always be one of those.

Of course I agree  there is a long way to go to secure a comfortable mid table position. Not sure there is really any such thing in this League anyway. And that long way will mean we won’t always Win just because we are on top, any more than we will always lose when we aren’t.

Every single team in this League regularly fails to capitalise on good opportunities, and regularly succeeds in making something out of lost causes. 

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

For those having a dig at Smith for his subs What other changes could he have made?  He bought on Lansbury and we looked weaker. He could have bought on  Nakamba but It would have made us sit deeper and invited them on even more. I get fans wanting him to make changes to suit the game but what options did he really have?

I’ve not read much....has he been criticised for his subs ? Why ? The only better result was a Win, who could he have brought on to secure that ?

Never thought I would be disappointed about a point at Old Trafford but the win was there for the taking.  I used to get really annoyed by Smith's slowness to make changes but both our subs caused a noticeable drop in quality, especially Lansbury.  Excuse the the American phrase im about to drop but that Jack goal was everything and a bag of chips.  Love looking forward to premier league fixtures again its been a long time coming,  

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

I don’t share your concern about Jack dominating  MOTM...Messi does it every week , does that mean the rest of the side are poor, or overly reliant ? Loads of teams have always had stand out star players...in my humble opinion ( no offence meant) only a pessimist could possibly see that as a negative.
When I used to play we had an ex Baggies youth player who virtually always won MOTM ( though I did beat him to it twice) but that said much about HIM, not us. 

I accept we all want the same thing. Yes I would’ve been just as positive because the performance wouldn’t have been altered by the score, and I was pleased with the performance.

I just don’t see the game ( of football, in general) as being about “ mistakes, errors, threw this away, didn’t capitalise on that”....... there’s two teams, both will get stuff right, both will get stuff wrong.  Rarely will one dominate. 

And is it better to throw leads away or simply never take leads ? If you DO take the lead often, surrendering it more often is a mathematical certainty.

I just think it’s obvious we won’t eradicate our failings, firstly because nobody does, secondly because it’s such early days, and to me, the repetition of the criticisms is just that, repetitive criticism. But whereas the selection of a player, or a certain tactic, can - in my view - be called reasonable criticism, or reasonable debate, because they are ongoing, changing, ingredients, it seems to me that the generic “ character flaw/ need to toughen up etc” type is - again in my view, I’m not trying to tell you what to comment on - just pointless... You will be able to make the same observations if we play for a million years !

Every single time we don’t win, you will be able to say ( and do) that either “ we were never in that, poor”.....or “ we should never have thrown that away, poor”.....or “ we had a chance to Win that but..l”

..because every single failure to Win by any Club will always be one of those.

Of course I agree  there is a long way to go to secure a comfortable mid table position. Not sure there is really any such thing in this League anyway. And that long way will mean we won’t always Win just because we are on top, any more than we will always lose when we aren’t.

Every single team in this League regularly fails to capitalise on good opportunities, and regularly succeeds in making something out of lost causes. 

Terry, i don't really know, what you're on about.....Jack is not my concern, its the others.

We took the initiative and failed to hang on to it.....its not the first time, we could have won against similarly talented teams......its something to work towards.

We all know we are still WIP......but just highlighting on the things to improve.

In the cold light of day, its a decent point.....but so easily could have been 3.

whats wrong with having a view to get better.

Its not a question of being pessimistic, fine if thats all you think, its identifying things we can get better at......to possibly get the win.

like defending the back post.

i would be alarmed if Dean smith shared your views on mistakes, they happen for sure, but the name of the game is to stop them happening.....if it didn't matter, we would never try to get better players in.

Edited by TRO
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Never thought I would be disappointed about a point at Old Trafford but the win was there for the taking.  I used to get really annoyed by Smith's slowness to make changes but both our subs caused a noticeable drop in quality, especially Lansbury.  Excuse the the American phrase im about to drop but that Jack goal was everything and a bag of chips.  Love looking forward to premier league fixtures again its been a long time coming,  

Because we got a point.....that first line has been lost on some.

We was well in the ascendency in the first half.....we need to examine why we can't sustain it away from home and work on it.

surely improving and looking for improvement is part of the fun.

Should'ave, could'ave, would'ave.......won that ,if we had defended the back post better.

We really have conceded so many goals at the back post from crosses.

sure Jack missed a sitter......but we have to tighten that back post.

I for one was not expecting such negativity, maybe I should know better by now...

What we should take from today’s game is that we went to Old Trafford and came home with a point, which we haven’t done in a decade before today. Say what you like about United but I think it says more about how well Villa played today. 

Secondly, what a pleasure it was to watch Villa take the game to United away from home - it paid off as we were the better side, especially in the first half. Full credit to Smith and co for the tactics today, I thought they were spot on. 

For those having a bit of a whinge tonight because we didn’t win, whilst I love the ambition, we shouldn’t be disappointed with a point at OT given where the club is at the moment. A draw was a fair result overall, even if the goals we conceded were sloppy. This season isn’t about winning these kind of games and it won’t be defined by these games. We’re going to have to be patient before the club really makes it to competing with United in the league. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MadridVilla said:

I for one was not expecting such negativity, maybe I should know better by now...

What we should take from today’s game is that we went to Old Trafford and came home with a point, which we haven’t done in a decade before today. Say what you like about United but I think it says more about how well Villa played today. 

Secondly, what a pleasure it was to watch Villa take the game to United away from home - it paid off as we were the better side, especially in the first half. Full credit to Smith and co for the tactics today, I thought they were spot on. 

For those having a bit of a whinge tonight because we didn’t win, whilst I love the ambition, we shouldn’t be disappointed with a point at OT given where the club is at the moment. A draw was a fair result overall, even if the goals we conceded were sloppy. This season isn’t about winning these kind of games and it won’t be defined by these games. We’re going to have to be patient before the club really makes it to competing with United in the league. 

I don't see anyone whinging....just picking up on errors that are avoidable.

We have shown the same errors in other games this season......we need to learn.

are we not allowed to identify, basic flaws, in fear of being negative

i haven't seen anyone unhappy with a point, just saying it coukd so easily have been 3.

seasons ago, we wouldn't have been in the game.....just saying, we could so easily have won and secured a famous result.

one win in 41 against them is hardly unreasonable ambition.

Edited by TRO

Always felt there would be a chance for us today as United have shown they’re vulnerable when you go at them. Proud of the boys for the performance, everyone working hrs for each other. Can’t fault the boys and the set up and plan was good. Would’ve been interesting to see how the game would’ve panned our if we went in at Ht a goal to the good. Once again Mings makes a huge error leading to their goal. He’s too casual on the able too often and either dallies on the ball too long as we saw today, or he takes his time before passing it which leads to our players being put immediately under pressure. Do love the guy and he’s a great leader for us but I do get very nervous with him on the back on our back line. Made up for his error with his goal. Was convinced it was offside but was the absolute right call. Great finish too. 

Grealish was once again on top form. We all slowed down second half and didn’t get on the ball enough or keep the ball well enough in the second half. But we did always look like we were trying to take the game to United when we were on the attack. Konsa continues to impress me with his reading of the game and general assured play. Luiz, Guilbert and Targett all did well too. Another quiet game for McGinn. Not sure if he’s not playing well or just being over shadowed by Jack. But he’s certainly not running the midfield like we know he can. But he still played okay. 

Disappointed to lose Guilbert for Wednesday night as he offers us more than Elmo can, particularly going forwards. Hope ElGhazi’s injury isn’t too bad. Didn’t look good but hoping it’s not too serious. He’s looked lively lately too. 

Was important that we took some points off one of the “top teams” as everyone around us have shown that they can do so, so I’m hoping this will give us some much needed confidence ahead of some very tough games coming up against other teams riding high. 

We’re going to need to get points away from home as well as at VP if we’re to stay in this league. Today showed we can. Need more of it. 

Decent point today, and showed great character to come back from a losing position in front of 76k fans to claim the draw. 

We dominated the first half. It seemed Man utd only tactic was to kick lumps out of Grealish. but 2nd half we got pinned back. McGinn and Luiz went missing the 2nd half. I thought we could of brought on Nkamba for Luiz as this guy seems to fade away after 60mins.

Also I was dissappointed in Trez  he's up against some spotty little teenager I wanted him to have a real go at him, like El Gazi did early on.

I'm happy with a point due to our history of rolling over for man utd.

I just hope Man utd keep ole till they come to Villa Park.......because they are so poor we will destroy them.

Sorry - but Man U are hardly a Top 6 club right  now.  The might be in the minds of SKY -  but their place has been taken by Leicester - and a point at VP next weekend will be more of an achievement than today. These comments are what pleases me - from Man U fans

Villa - look calm and relaxed and having a great time. Grealish tucked in on left wing and causing issues. A promoted team and there looks to be little technical difference between teams and they’re a cohesive unit.

Exactly, we are massively lucky to be level. I feel for villa to be honest who've been a joy to watch, unlike utd who are abysmal.

• Like 1

I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't win. Not disappointed with the players or Smith, they did a good job. Especially in the first half. It's just that I feel that with the margins more on our side we could've won it. We were at least as good as they were. Mings clearance were abysmal, but it got even worse that it by chance landed on a manure player on his own. Then he was too far down and played Rashford onside. And after that Rashford's header hit the post then Heaton and then in.

Grealish's f**king heel was offside. Correct call, but by a very small margin.

Grealish is inches away from scoring giving us the lead again, and moments after Wes can't really reach the ball but the touch makes it go to a free standing VNL. Great header, btw. Unfortunately.

Those small margins took the win away from us. That's what makes me a bit disappointed.

Thought we played really well in the first half. Sat a bit deep in the 2nd, but it's a strength that we still got back from being 2-1 down. Grealish was really, really good in the first half, didn't get that many balls in the 2nd half. I think it says something that they got 3 or 4 yellows and we didn't get anyone, IIRC. Most of those cards were after fouling Grealish. Guilbert got my vote for MotM as he was a bit more consistant than Grealish IMO. Thought he was really good. Wes is getting better and better. Would've got an assist if it wasn't for Jack's heel. He stands his ground better and better and makes it hard for the opponents defenders. He needs to get more into scoring positiones, though, but I think he'll get there. Needs to get more balls in those positions too, so it's not a one way street. Apart from Mings lapse of concentration, or perhaps stroke of arrogance, I think all players were at least good. Trez is a kind of his own. He's not as fast as I thought, he sometimes looks out of his depth, but he works hard and he's dangerous. Scored one goal, though disallowed, hit the bar with a cracker that could've put Grealish's goal to no 2 this weekend, and set up Grealish for what should've been a goal. And he was just behind Mings when he scored. Given time I think he will surprise a few. But I can see why AEG is preferred. Hope his injury isn't too bad.

All in all a good performance and I think we deserved at least a point. And I would take it beforehand if offered. But... We could've won that game. Let's take on chelsea.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, robby b said:

On top of the relief of having four wins at this stage, I like the fact we've now got four of the 'big six' away games out of the way just 14 games into the season. (And with Stamford Bridge coming up next that that be five out of six just 15 games in). We wouldn't want those five games towards the end of the season in a relegation battle!

As much as I agree I still have to say that I fear leicester, of all clubs, more than united and arsenal. But yes, it's good to have those away games out of the way this early. Only liverpool and leicester away after this.

• Like 1

I think El Ghazi going off probably killed our momentum a little. He was looking powerful and confident and an excellent foil for Grealish on the opposite wing. 

Although Trez played well ultimately, he took a good 15 minutes to get into the game and killed off a number of attacking opportunities with poor touch and bad decisions. 

• Like 1

Also, might be just me but I think their second goal should have been ruled out. You can clearly see Maguire holding Konsa down by the shoulders preventing him from going up for the header to intercept the cross. 

He did the exact same thing later in the game and got called on it because Konsa went down on that occasion. 

Â