Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 14 of 38)

zab6359

6 hours ago, screwdriver said:

It's time Smith gave us a big scalp.

It's ok pumping the likes of norwich and toon but we really need a win over a big team to make the fans and players truly believe we are going somewhere.

Norwich Sheff utd and even newcastle united have theirs. Whens it going to happen for us? sick of waiting. we bottled it against spurs arsenal and liverpool. and to a certain extent man city.

The only players I'd take from man utd is anthony martial. poissibly harry mcguire however he's been looking shakey. I'm sure they'd take at least 5 of our boys.

This is the first time in years we can go there with a view to getting something. I think in the after match interview on tues Jack said something about not having beaten the top six yet.

That gives me a feeling the players are looking at this game to rip up that stat.

This has been the one thing that I've cited as holding us back from progressing up the table and sets us apart form our rivals. The likes of Newcastle (Spurs away), Norwich (City home) Southampton (United home) and Brighton (Spurs home) have shown how they can take big scalps and take points form big teams. We have had plenty of plaudits for playing well against top teams but we haven't been able to cross the finish line and see games out against Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool. We need more resilience, composure and effective game management as and when we find ourselves in winning positions late in games. If we can do that, which I think we're capable of, then that would hopefully bring great confidence and help push us on for other games and give ourselves the best chance of staying in this division.

From what I've seen of United they're more vulnerable away from home when a team takes it to them. They've improved with Martial back and their front three are dangerous and they'll likely perform better at home. But so were Liverpool's front three and we kept them at bay for large parts of our game against them. We will need to be at our best across our whole team but we shouldn't fear United at all and if we take it to them they may be vulnerable.

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

This has been he one thing that I've cited as holding us back from progressing up the table and sets us apart form our rivals. The likes of Newcastle (Spurs away), Norwich (City home) Southampton (United home) and Brighton (Spurs home) have shown how they can take big scalps and take points form big teams. We have had plenty of plaudits for playing well against top teams but we haven't been able to cross the finish line and see games out against Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool. We need more resilient, composure and effective game management as and when we find ourselves in winning positions late in games. If we can do that, which I think we're capable of, then that would hopefully bring great confidence and help push us on for other games. 

From what I've seen of united they're more vulnerable away from home when a team take sit to them. They've improved with Martial back and their front three are dangerous. But so were Liverpool's and we kept them at bay for large parts of our game against them. We will need to be at our best cross our team but we shouldn't fear United at all and if we take it to them they may be vulnerable.

Newcastle also recently beat Man United.

• Like 1

I think I would probably line up, if Engels is back(?), like this (if no Engels then Konsa has done fine):

Heaton

Guilbert      Engels   Mings     Targett

Luiz               Marvelous

McGinn      

El Ghazi             Welsey        Grealish

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Do you think he does it in advance to save the time cheating on the day?

No I'd say he genuinely relishes the opportunity to **** us over and wouldn't let the opportunity pass him by.  I'm so looking forward to seeing how he accomplishes it this weekend.  I'm guessing a bewildering penalty decision.  Preferably one the referee didn't see.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Oh good.  Kevin Friend is in charge of the VAR for this match.

Craig Pawson is the ref.  Fourth official Anthony Taylor.

This is the first time Craig has refereed a Villa game in a long time. I know that because... I know him 👀

now to try and find a way to get into his head 😂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I think I would probably line up, if Engels is back(?), like this (if no Engels then Konsa has done fine):

Heaton

Guilbert      Engels   Mings     Targett

Luiz               Marvelous

McGinn      

El Ghazi             Welsey        Grealish

We have a better midfield and defence than them. Honestly, if I tried to think of a combined Villa/United XI, I'd take maybe just Pogba, Martial and Maguire. That's it. We shouldn't fear these.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

This is the first time Craig has refereed a Villa game in a long time. I know that because... I know him 👀

now to try and find a way to get into his head 😂 

I only track league games but I make it the 2nd of January 2016.  A 3-1 defeat at Sunderland.  Carles Gil with our goal on the day, and Micah Richards helping the opposition with an OG.

He also refereed a 0-0 draw with Man City in Villa Park earlier that season (08/11/15)

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I only track league games but I make it the 2nd of January 2016.  A 3-1 defeat at Sunderland.  Carles Gil with our goal on the day, and Micah Richards helping the opposition with an OG.

He also refereed a 0-0 draw with Man City in Villa Park earlier that season (08/11/15)

Remi Garde's first game in charge. I seem to remember they had about 50 shots or something.

United's game against Sheffield quite nicely encapsulated their strengths and weaknesses. They were absolute toilet for 70 minutes, with Fred, Pereira and Jones looking like the worst midfield combination in the league (I honestly don't think you could say it is better than Hourihane-McGinn-Luiz/Nakamba). Then they woke up, attacked with pace, and Rashford and Martial were just too good for Sheff U's defenders. united are capable of moments of excellence still, and they do have good attackers, but they are not a consistently good team, and if every one of our players turns up we can get something out of it. I would make one change from the Newcastle game, and drop Luiz for Nakamba. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I remember that game. Adama’s long run and ball into the box which Gil despatched beautifully. The only good thing about that day, apart from the box my father in law got us into and the subsequent free drinks! 

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We have a better midfield and defence than them. Honestly, if I tried to think of a combined Villa/United XI, I'd take maybe just Pogba, Martial and Maguire. That's it. We shouldn't fear these.

I’d probably take Rashford too, but only because I think he’d fit in to the side as we are

8 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I’d probably take Rashford too, but only because I think he’d fit in to the side as we are

I was debating Rashford, but he'd play where Jack is right now which wouldn't happen, and shouldn't be happening for England imo. He'd fit into our side perfectly especially if Jack were playing as a proper #10 instead of as a wide forward.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Wan-Bissaka? Don’t get me wrong, I think Guilbert is great and has been one of our players of the season so far but I think Wan-Bissaka is excellent. I also think that Luke Shaw is excellent, he is starting to fulfil his potential now although I do think Targett is playing very well for us

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Wan-Bissaka? Don’t get me wrong, I think Guilbert is great and has been one of our players of the season so far but I think Wan-Bissaka is excellent. I also think that Luke Shaw is excellent, he is starting to fulfil his potential now although I do think Targett is playing very well for us

What adjective would you use to describe Hourihane atm out of interest?😉