Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Newcastle

limpid

Match Polls  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/11/19 at 23:59

Cracking result. Would've liked to have had some fresh legs on about midway through 2nd half and should've put at least 4 past that lot but overall very happy. Jack and Conor brilliant, Wes improved but jury still out, special mention for guilbert too, had Maxim in his pocket all game

39 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Felt we were good forst half, credit to DS, think he sent them out the right way and the right selection. 1st half got him a v good rating.

I dont know what he said at half time, but half the team switched off and a few of them were dead on their feet come 60 minutes.  I feel we only didnt concede due how bad they were rather than us doing well.  He really could and should have made changes at that stage as players were flagging and newcastle were well on top.

Then when carroll came on and we looked dreadful defensively, and couldnt handle him, DS still did nothing.

Poor game management and use of subs YET AGAIN and for me, we are very fortunate to have survived it.  I dont understand brining lansbury on after 91 minutes.  Pointless.  He gets a very poor for the 2nd half, as i feel that there were plenty of great options on the bench to address the balance of play, and he did nothing.  It worked on this occassion, but hasnt on many others, and i really feel it was dumb luck, not skill.

I'm delighted with the result, but DS frustrates me massively.  I really dont see anything from him to show he's learning.

Aside from a sloppy 5 mins immediately after the restart, we were still the better team and created the better chances the second half. Carroll won one header then spent the rest of the game falling over.

Fortunate to have survived? Newcastle were fortunate we didn't stick 4 past them given Konsa and Wesley both missed after being unmarked 6 yards out.

23 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Some very harsh comments about Wes tbh. Thought he played well when he dropped deep.

Should he have scored? Of course.

Was he "**** shit"? Absolutely not. 

No, def not shit.  But still not good enough for me, and i dont think his strength match our style of play.

Seen someone say he should have been played in more, and wasn't cos our midfield likes to shoot.  I think they dont play him in cos they know his finishing is poor and theyve a better chance of scoring themselves

• Like 1

Good win and much needed.

Particularly pleased that AEG and Hourihane had key roles in the win. They come in for a lot of criticism on this site but if we are going to stay up, these guys will play a big part.

Not much going points-wise now until the games over Christmas so it!s good to have bagged the points here.

8 minutes ago, andym said:

Aside from a sloppy 5 mins immediately after the restart, we were still the better team and created the better chances the second half. Carroll won one header then spent the rest of the game falling over.

Fortunate to have survived? Newcastle were fortunate we didn't stick 4 past them given Konsa and Wesley both missed after being unmarked 6 yards out.

Carroll won at least three: one where he should have scored himself, but heaton made a good stop, and two where he laid it off, for i think it was jowlinton to fire horribly off target.  All 3 were very good chances.

Good game. We were decent first half, and good the second half, apart from those first 10 minutes of the second when we were sleepwalking. Happens quite a lot - what do we do at half time? We just do not come out switched on and prepared.

Hourihane MOM for me; Grealish very good; Konza and El Ghazi also very good.

I do not see what others see in Wesley. If we wanted a false number 9 or an advanced midfielder, we should have bought one. What we needed, and now still need, was a goal scorer. 

That has got to be addressed in January. The chances we make, I think a guy who could put those chances away would be having a field day.

Good, but not great performance. Overall we looked the better side. Grealish and Hourihane have a really good understanding, not just with the goal but across the park IMO. I gave MOTM to Hourihane because at the end of the day, he was the one delivering the knockout blows, and I marked Grealish down a little for spurning 3 or 4 really good chances to put the game to bed in the second half. Shooting is still the weakness in his game, and once he gets better at it, he'll move to yet another level.

It was probably an obvious choice for Smith to bring Hourihane back in in place of Nakamba against a Newcastle side who are allergic to possessing the ball, but he still had to make the call and it was the right one so credit for that. But I agree with those who say his reluctance to use the bench is silly. You could see players running on empty, and Newcastle could still be playing and they wouldn't have scored, so why not get fresh legs on the field?

• Like 2

Vital 3 points with andother tough triple header to follow. Heaton made 2 fantastic saves, that's the difference between it being 1 point or 3 

Still think we need someone who can stick the ball in the net up front , imagine how much better off we'd be with a Tammy Abraham. We need options. 

Much needed win

Heaton was faultless, some top saves tonight. So good to feel secure with your goalkeeper. Something we’ve lacked for some time.

Guilbert wasn’t great; few sloppy passes, hit the first man too often with his crosses, but always available as an outlet.

Konsa was excellent, looked a lot more assured than Mings tonight; who improved late on after a casual sloppy start.

Targett very good again; good understanding with Grealish & Conor down our left hand side.

Douglas was good on the whole; sometimes wants a second longer than needed despite 40000 telling him of a man on.

McGinn had an off day, not much came off for him but he’s indispensable for me as you know he’s more likely to play a blinder than not despite these last 2 performances.

Hourihane superb. Delivery tonight was top class and yet another goal and assist.

Grealish MOTM. Is to us what Gerrard was to plop. Ran the show, completely different side when he plays.

El-Ghazi with another good performance. Looked like he was playing as a striker at times, got his goal and had some good moments.

Wesley- shame he didnt notch, put himself about tonight but things arent clicking for him at the moment. 

5 points off 5th, 4 points off bottom 3. Its been a decent start considering the circumstances, lets hope we can spring a surprise or two in the coming weeks. UTV

• Like 3

Â