Classic S***house Managers and their Dirty Tricks

KentVillan

What are your favourite stories about petty things football managers have done to get under the skin of opposing teams?

A few of mine:

Norwich away dressing room painted pink to "lower testosterone" of away team

Norwich City have painted the away dressing room "deep pink", a colour that is said to lower testosterone levels and have a calming effect on people.

Neil Warnock insisting that every QPR player taking a throw-in against Stoke demand a hand towel

"You either have the towel or you don't; you can't take them away at half-time because your team are losing. So I went and fetched my own towel," said Neil Warnock, whose coaching staff were chastised by the referee for doing so. When a towel later emerged from the home dugout, the ensuing row ended with the Stoke physio Andy Davies being sent off.

Graeme Souness narrowing the pitch at Ibrox on the day of a European Cup tie

“I do know about a similar occurrence in the 1987-88 European Cup, when Rangers played Dynamo Kyiv,” notes Kevin Gier. “The then Scottish champions took the pitch in a few yards from what it was during the league season as an effort to counteract what was seen as the more expansive play of Lobanovskiy’s Soviet champions – and it actually worked, as they reversed a 1-0 deficit from the first leg to go through 2-1 on aggregate.”

As Kevin points out, in this video clip Graeme Souness, the Rangers manager, admitted they had done so in a roundabout way, before offering a trademark stare at suggestions such behaviour was “un-British”.

• Like 1

Was it Shankly that had the sign "Welcome to Anfield" changed to "This is Anfield" as opponents shouldn't feel welcome? And also had them make the doorway from the home team dressing room smaller so the liverpool players should look bigger and more intimidating?

A couple of my mates did a tour of the Emirates when they were in London approx. seven years ago. Apparently Wenger had the opposition dressing room designed so that the manager couldn't see the whole squad at any particular time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 24/11/2019 at 23:03, mikeyp102 said:

I did the Bayern Munich stadium tour last year. The home dressing room is lovely. The away, has no doors, is echoey, lacks heating and is generally uncomfortable. 

I did the Chelsea tour a couple of years ago. The away dressing room is huge and very comfortable. The guide said that under Mourinho, they changed it from a pokey little broom cupboard with a broken bog and showers that only occasionally worked. The theory was that putting away teams in an uncomfortable environment pissed them off and gave them a bit of extra bite when they hit the pitch whereas giving them a nice, relaxing environment was thought to translate on to the pitch in a less positive way. He did say they always had the heating up in the away dressing room though.

There used to be a manager that would try to confuse the opposition by playing three right backs in the back four. He’d get into the opposition’s heads in the lead up to a game by praising them in the press, overstating the difficulty in facing them and highlighting that there’s no easy games in the league.

Rumour has it, he’d even get his son to rile his own fans up on Twitter, thus making them more vociferous and passionate at their home ground. 

I can’t for the life of me remember his name though. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

There used to be a manager that would try to confuse the opposition by playing three right backs in the back four. He’d get into the opposition’s heads in the lead up to a game by praising them in the press, overstating the difficulty in facing them and highlighting that there’s no easy games in the league.

Rumour has it, he’d even get his son to rile his own fans up on Twitter, thus making them more vociferous and passionate at their home ground. 

I can’t for the life of me remember his name though. 

I remember him?  It was Bruce wasn’t it, Bruce Rioch!  Never liked him. 

Barcelona and manager Terry Venables supposedly sent high end prostitutes to the IFK Göteborg team hotel in Barcelona the night before their return leg in the 1986 Europa Cup semi final.

They also had fans stationed outside the hotel all night making a ruckus so they could not sleep.

According to the IFK players no one fell for the prostitute thing but they ended up losing the game 3-0 meaning the tie was 3-3 after full time and then ended up losing on penalties.

• Haha 1

Sean Dyche was always going to make this list.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50650790 

When Manchester City arrived at Turf Moor to play Burnley on Tuesday, they were greeted by darkness.

Pep Guardiola's side were left to prepare for the match without lighting because of an electrical issue in the away dressing room.

• Like 2

Â