Holiday plans 2020

villa4europe

On 30/11/2019 at 13:32, imavillan said:

Planning 3 weeks in China Sept/Oct time.

Not doing a package as i will do it all myself. 

Shanghai, Yangtze river cruise, Xian, Beijing taking in all of the usual touristy stuff.

I would totally recommend taking the train up to Tibet if you can ( just don't mention it to the Chinese when you apply for your visa)  .. the scenery is stunning  * and takes your breath away , literally as you are up at  5,000m at times  ... we got on at Xining , which is a Muslim town in China and interesting for that reason if nothing else , Tibet is worht a couple of days , more if you want to do some hiking  .. I flew out from there to Chengdu and went and saw pandas 

Look out for scams , my son and i were there last year and took the train to Badaling .. the main Beijing station was closed for refurbishment so you took a metro type train out to the suburbs , as we came out the metro station they had cordoned off the  entrance to the main station and a man in a uniform was informing everyone the station was shut and you had to go by coach  and someone then walked everyone around there , I smelt a rat, and we walked around and entered the station from the other side to find that trains were indeed running  .... it's not isolated ,nearly every tourist attraction you go to will have some enterprising scam , they always seem so convincing :)

oh and when you visit Tianamen square / forbidden city take your passport with you as you won't' get through security without it

(*couple of picks from the train half way through this album if you are interested )

Edited by tonyh29
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I would totally recommend taking the train up to Tibet if you can ( just don't mention it to the Chinese when you apply for your visa)  .. the scenery is stunning  * and takes your breath away , literally as you are up at  5,000m at times  ... we got on at Xining , which is a Muslim town in China and interesting for that reason if nothing else , Tibet is worht a couple of days , more if you want to do some hiking  .. I flew out from there to Chengdu and went and saw pandas 

Look out for scams , my son and i were there last year and took the train to Badaling .. the main Beijing station was closed for refurbishment so you took a metro type train out to the suburbs , as we came out the metro station they had cordoned off the  entrance to the main station and a man in a uniform was informing everyone the station was shut and you had to go by coach  and someone then walked everyone around there , I smelt a rat, and we walked around and entered the station from the other side to find that trains were indeed running  .... it's not isolated ,nearly every tourist attraction you go to will have some enterprising scam , they always seem so convincing :)

oh and when you visit Tianamen square / forbidden city take your passport with you as you won't' get through security without it

(*couple of picks from the train half way through this album if you are interested )

I've been to China a few times before and done the train trips and Beijing, Tiananmen, Forbidden City, Great Wall etc.

The trip to Tibet sounds interesting so i'll take a look at that and see if i can squeeze it in.

Thanks. The pics look good 😀

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/11/2019 at 22:15, theboyangel said:

Rome for the Italy vs Rome six nations match in March and in the process of sorting out Florida with the kids in summer. 

need a summer break next year as missed this summer working away. 

going to this too. done the italy game a few times...easy to get hammered though. they walk up and down the aisles serving peroni, you dont need to leave your seat. i was in trouble last time as we had dinner plans after the game that i was barely conscious for. best behavior this time

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 30/11/2019 at 13:32, imavillan said:

Planning 3 weeks in China Sept/Oct time.

Not doing a package as i will do it all myself. 

Shanghai, Yangtze river cruise, Xian, Beijing taking in all of the usual touristy stuff.

Cancelled til next year !!!!! 🥴 hopefully this virus malarkey will have cleared up....

Bit of a polar opposite i know but now looking at Majorca, Sant Ponsa for two weeks in May.

Fancy a bit of spring sunshine and some warmth 🌞🌞🌞

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Booked for Iceland in Aug  with the family .... Assuming I can get to Montenegro beforehand , it will mean I've visited every country in Europe 

Surprised you hadn't been to Iceland before! 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Booked for Iceland in Aug  with the family .... Assuming I can get to Montenegro beforehand , it will mean I've visited every country in Europe 

Nice one, Tony.

And Iceland's terrific.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Nice one, Tony.

And Iceland's terrific.

Yeah so I hear , looking forward to it , any tips welcome 

I turn 50 when I’m out there ... not looking forward to that quite so much ... but another year closer to retirement :)

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

any tips welcome

The times I went there I was working, so was based at Keflavik U.S. Naval Air Base (which is also the airport). On days off we travelled into Rejkjavik, out to the Geysers, that kind of thing - just the ones everyone mentions. The locals were great, booze is expensive (or used to be, at least). Get a sturdy hire vehicle, take some warm clothes, even in August. Look at some Whales. Don't eat them (or Puffins). Sorted.

• Thanks 1

I'm in Copenhagen for 3 days, it's alright, not quiet clean safe little city with friendly people who speak great english, going to malmo in the morning, home Saturday afternoon and I doubt there'll be a whole lot of "wish I had more time so I could do this..." 

Anyone done tivoli Gardens? Wasn't planning on doing the rides but it looks cool for a walk around but costs 20€ each for the pleasure

And the city is as mentally expensive as expected, food is generally good quality but I paid nearly 6€ for 2 cokes, cafe I was in for lunch was 8€ for a chai latte (so I went with the 11€ Carlsberg 1800 something, dark beer very nice) I'd say the most expensive place I've ever been, McDonald's if I read it right was 8€ for a stand alone big tasty

18 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Fair play, that's some good going.

Have you been saving Iceland? It seems like a fairly common place to visit that I would have bet my bottom dollar you'd already been to.

52 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Fair play, that's some good going.

Have you been saving Iceland? It seems like a fairly common place to visit that I would have bet my bottom dollar you'd already been to.

yeah its a kinda running joke with my mates that they've all been there and I haven't  , hadn''t realised how popular it is !!

not really sure why its last , wasn't a conscious decision to save it to the end  , but maybe it was partly that the kids would have been a bit young to fully appreciate it

• Like 1

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'm in Copenhagen for 3 days, it's alright, not quiet clean safe little city with friendly people who speak great english, going to malmo in the morning, home Saturday afternoon and I doubt there'll be a whole lot of "wish I had more time so I could do this..." 

Anyone done tivoli Gardens? Wasn't planning on doing the rides but it looks cool for a walk around but costs 20€ each for the pleasure

And the city is as mentally expensive as expected, food is generally good quality but I paid nearly 6€ for 2 cokes, cafe I was in for lunch was 8€ for a chai latte (so I went with the 11€ Carlsberg 1800 something, dark beer very nice) I'd say the most expensive place I've ever been, McDonald's if I read it right was 8€ for a stand alone big tasty

if you want an amusing photo op walk around the back of the station area  , there are a few cafes , Thai massage place and a rather amusingly named bar called "Spunk "

That's about all I can contribute I'm afraid   .. that and the little mermaid really wasn't worth the bus ride and walk through the park to see it

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Tivoli is definitely worth a visit, although we only spent a couple of hours in there.

You also get the novelty of the Rutschebanen which is the world's oldest rollercoaster. 

Yeah I walked all the way to the little mermaid statue and its something of nothing, surprised more things haven't  built up around it

Malmo is also a bit shit and not worth the 80€ train, food hall is great though 

Think the missus will be pissed over the train cost so won't want to pay for tivoli 

Glad I came and ticked Copenhagen off the list but for value for money it's not great

And my missus who's birthday was yesterday and always wants to go away for it should have been born in the summer! 

20 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Tivoli is definitely worth a visit, although we only spent a couple of hours in there.

You also get the novelty of the Rutschebanen which is the world's oldest rollercoaster. 

isn't that a bit of a cheat , as it was rebuilt in 2014  ?

Â