Holiday plans 2020

villa4europe

New thread for the new year

I start with new years eve with friends in munic

1st week Feb fly to Copenhagen for 2 nights, then go across the bridge for 2 nights in malmo, got suckered in by the ridiculously cheap flights (40€ return) but now getting hit with the horrendously expensive hotels, not even air bnb seems sensible

Then we asked our parents for an international meet up and they picked Ireland, going to the west coast, not booked anything yet, drawn to Galway County but if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it, around 4 days in april

I didn’t do any big trips in 2019 , just a few short ones with family and a couple of lads do’s , think Serbia was my only new country this year 

2020 plan is to finally visit every country in Europe ..: only 4 left to go so should be achievable and now visa stuff is easy (or about to be ) I’ll probably visit Saudi Arabia ... would still like to visit Pakistan but that will depend on the political situation out that way 

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

1st week Feb fly to Copenhagen for 2 nights, then go across the bridge for 2 nights in malmo, got suckered in by the ridiculously cheap flights (40€ return) but now getting hit with the horrendously expensive hotels, not even air bnb seems sensible

Check out Danhostel in Copenhagen. Biggest hostel in Europe. I stopped there when I went and it was fine. Basically a hotel really, except you pay for your towels. You can have private rooms with your own bathroom etc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Im sure they've reopened the flight to amritsar so if you just wanted to tick a box that's maybe the easiest way of doing it

It’s the wagah border ceremony that I’d like to see as i missed it on my previous visit to Amritsar ...Amritsar is close to the Pak border so could work... see the  ceremony  then onto Lahore which is meant to be quite nice 

Edited by tonyh29

So Mexico in February, promised the kids we would have a last big holiday.

looking at Tanzania in June as I can fly by Dubai and cross off something from the wife’s bucket list, looking at you @tonyh29 for any recommendations.

then probably Italy (Sardinia) or Croatia in September again any hints/tips most appreciated.

2 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

So Mexico in February, promised the kids we would have a last big holiday.

looking at Tanzania in June as I can fly by Dubai and cross off something from the wife’s bucket list, looking at you @tonyh29 for any recommendations.

then probably Italy (Sardinia) or Croatia in September again any hints/tips most appreciated.

did Tanzania for our honeymoon we actually started in Kenya but then crossed on over to Tanz and did the ngorongoro crater which is pretty cool safari wise , you’ll get all the big 5 there ( least we did but it was back in 2001 )

Arusha is the likely start point for the crater so you are near Kilimanjaro if you want to have a close look at it .

other option is to fly over to Zanzibar and do some beach stuff there ,  some good diving if that’s your thing , we did a spot of fishing and saw whales there as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finishing off this year over Christmas and New year in Cuba. 

Back to Hong kong in April with a side trip to Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.

Long weekend in Bucharest In May

Uzbekistan also in May.(flights booked but still working on an itinerary for the 11 days I'm there)

September hoping to walk another Camino, this time walking the Portuguese way from Porto to Santiago de Compostella. 

Looking at spending next Christmas and New year in Myanmar.

18 minutes ago, chicovilla said:

Uzbekistan also in May.(flights booked but still working on an itinerary for the 11 days I'm there)

Easy road access into Afghanistan if you’re feeling brave , There is a heritage site not far from the border 

The trains looked quite decent between Samarkand and Tashkent when I looked at it last year , I was going to visit that region and go to Turkmenistan and Tajikistan as well but couldn’t get a decent trip planned , might look at it again at some point 

On 23/11/2019 at 10:28, villa4europe said:

New thread for the new year

I start with new years eve with friends in munic

Better off staying in 1 city for 4 nights, commute is ridiculously simple

• Like 1

On 25/11/2019 at 22:39, tonyh29 said:

Easy road access into Afghanistan if you’re feeling brave , There is a heritage site not far from the border 

The trains looked quite decent between Samarkand and Tashkent when I looked at it last year , I was going to visit that region and go to Turkmenistan and Tajikistan as well but couldn’t get a decent trip planned , might look at it again at some point 

Time wont allow a trip to Afghanistan. Looking at getting a domestic flight from Tashkent to Khiva, then working my way back to the capital by train visiting Bukhara and Samarkand - the old Silk route. 

• Like 2

honeymoon plan is Italy - few days in Naples - inc a trip to Pompei, then a few days in Palermo / Sicily. Basically, we just want to enjoy food and wine, vinyard visits etc. Will be in May so hopefully it'll be reasonably warm. 

We've just come back from 5 nights in Tromso which was great, and we'd ideally like to fit in another  trip between new year and wedding. Trying to fit in trips whilst we can as the plan is going for a family next year, which based on my friends experiences so far, seemingly stops you having any fun whatsoever 😛  so we may target specifically kid-unfriendly type trips if there is such a thing. Would happily go back up north and maybe try Finland or north sweden maybe. 

Booked a trip to Scotland around Easter, Inverness and Edinburgh we stay in. Now we start looking at what to do.

I want to go to Amsterdam and do the Bernina Express but we will see. We will go to Romania at least once.

Planning 3 weeks in China Sept/Oct time.

Not doing a package as i will do it all myself. 

Shanghai, Yangtze river cruise, Xian, Beijing taking in all of the usual touristy stuff.

• Like 1

I did that about 8 years ago as a package, company called Wendy Wu, they'll give you some ideas of intineries, did shanghai, guilin, chengdu, xian, beijing

The overnight train from xian to Beijing is one of the worst things I've ever done, horrible experience, avoid that 

Â