Half Life: Alyx

Ingram85

Announced late last night with a full reveal on Thursday.

VR game. That's about all that's known. Will it be a full on game showing off the full realisation of VR or just a short gimmicky experience?

Rumours suggest it's set between the first and second games - it's definitely not HL3 in any way. If it can make a statement as to the use of VR, though, in a similar way that HL2 did with it's physics and the way it told it's story, it's potentially very exciting.

I'd be awfully surprised if it is anything that interesting, however.

Edited by hogso

These guys worked in close partnership with Valve. They were one of the first to get the Valve Index almost 12-16 months before it was released, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the tech these guys created winds up in Half-Life: Alyx. 

Edited by Daweii

Intriguing teaser. It looks very, very good, with the use of VR and the gameplay being a match made in heaven. Plus it's undeniably Half Life. I wonder if it's very short in length, though? 

Geoff Keighley claims to have played it through in about 15 hours. But that's obviously unfinished.

Anywho, no interest in this. Valve burnt their bridges long, long ago. I'm not interested in Half Life any longer, and certainly not enough to invest in the kit required to play this. 

I'm also yet to be convinced by VR experiences.

If they do a PSVR or Oculus Quest version then it'll do well but as it is it's going to flop a bit unless Valve reign in their expectations. Unless they want it to fail so they can say 'see, no one likes HL anymore so we dont need to worry about it ever again'. 

I still love HL, two of my favourite games of all time. I know people poke fun at HL fans who cant let it go but it was such a bloody amazing franchise and Valve **** the franchise over and cant blame anyone else but themselves. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

If they do a PSVR or Oculus Quest version then it'll do well but as it is it's going to flop a bit unless Valve reign in their expectations. Unless they want it to fail so they can say 'see, no one likes HL anymore so we dont need to worry about it ever again'. 

I still love HL, two of my favourite games of all time. I know people poke fun at HL fans who cant let it go but it was such a bloody amazing franchise and Valve **** the franchise over and cant blame anyone else but themselves. 

Half-Life: Alyx works with;

• Valve Index
  • HTC Vive
  • Windows Mixed Reality
  • Oculus Rift
  • Oculus Quest with PC and Link Cable

It also supports both room scale and seated gameplay. Its movement is customisable from teleporting,  shift and continuous (analog). Also it supports both common VR control schemes from finger tracking (Index) to the trigger based control scheme.

Literally everyone that owns a VR headset on PC in 2019 can play this. Now yes this game not being on PlayStation 4 does skip a pretty big market, but all headsets on PC combined is still a player base of 5-6 million players. Now this game won't be breaking sales records by any means, but it'll do well enough and its goal is likely to shift VR units more than anything.  

We have PlayStation 5 next year (rumoured November 20th) and I could see Sony unveiling a PSVR2 and Half-Life: Alyx at some point next year.

• 4 months later...

Reviews look decent. Most interactive and immersive VR game ever at best, tired gameplay design at worst (suggesting Valve have become a bit out of step with modern gaming).

Very curious about the ending, I'll probably watch a Let's Play or something, every review I've seen bangs on about it being excellent.

Only onto Chapter 2 but it's another example of if VR was more affordable/accessible then people would forget about non-VR gaming. The interaction is just mind-blowing, you can pickup/move any item in the game. The graphics are amazing, and that's playing the game on low with my laptop. I wish I could play this on a beasty PC + with a Index headset. I'm playing it on a Quest, linked to my laptop, the most basic way.

You simply have to play this game!

All I need is a capable PC, a VR headset and a couple of the kids to move out so I've got the space to move.  

Danny O'Dwyer is doing some good stuff on his YouTube channel.  He's doing a play through and uploading a chapter a day. 

Â