Match Thread: Wolves v Villa

limpid

We need to break through the middle occasionally instead of always pushing it out to the wings.  Wolves know it's coming and have the wingers covered and they have no space and no options other than passing back or putting in a speculative cross.   We really miss Jack's ability to bring it forward and pull their fullbacks inside a little bit.

• Like 2

We look toothless, Jack is a huge miss especially away from home. Tbf Nyland has done ok, really stupid goal to concede we should be anticipating Ruben Neves in acres ready to line one up.

Targett and Guilbert have been left exposed and were getting done everytime. Being outclassed and outtacticked here. Our positioning seems off again as they have had acres between the lines to pick up posession and drive at the back four. Need a miracle to rescue this one now but the game is playing out as I expected having seen the lineups.

Smith has got his tactics on this so very wrong. Everyone knows the way to play Wolves is to keep it tight and sit back, they can't break you down that way. It's why they struggle against so many teams in the bottom half.

But no lets decide to be wide open and allow Wolves to cut through us like butter. 

Mourinho has just summed it up when he said that Wolves have been playing together in this tactical style for 3 years. They have a much better and more settled squad than us. We made huge changes to the squad just a few months ago, we still need much more in terms of players and time together. Over the top and predictable criticism is as daft as it is unhelpful. 

• Like 4

Just now, KMitch said:

Once again, I'm absolutely baffled by some of the comments on here...  You'd think we have a fully fit, well rounded , title-challenging squad and Smith is just getting out-witted by Nuno...  

I think this is one of the few times where a lot of the reaction is perhaps justified. We only have Grealish missing from out starting line up in midfield and attack and we genuinely have struggled to put more than 2 passes together at a time. 

Yes we have injuries and yes we have a worse team on paper than Wolves but you'd expect us to be vaguely competitive rather than looking like a mid table Championship side against Manchester City!

• Like 2

Honestly one of the worst halves we've put in under Smith. Obviously the injuries are a big part of that, so it's important to keep some perspective. But it will be an absolute miracle if we don't lose by three or four, and we really need to be a hell of a lot better next week. 

Just now, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

We look toothless, Jack is a huge miss especially away from home. Tbf Nyland has done ok, really stupid goal to concede we should be anticipating Ruben Neves in acres ready to line one up.

Targett and Guilbert have been left exposed and were getting done everytime. Being outclassed and outtacticked here. Our positioning seems off again as they have had acres between the lines to pick up posession and drive at the back four. Need a miracle to rescue this one now but the game is playing out as I expected having seen the lineups.

We are still a one man team.

Anyone denying that doesn't find themselves in reality.

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

Once again, I'm absolutely baffled by some of the comments on here...  You'd think we have a fully fit, well rounded , title-challenging squad and Smith is just getting out-witted by Nuno...  

Did Nuno and Smith not setup these two teams?

Just now, Herman22 said:

The fact that 2 subs have been forced on us I don't see what DS can do. 

Maybe go to 5 at the back using Guilbert and Trez as wing backs and replace ElGhazi with Hourihane. 

Coudl do with matching their shape maybe, but we have never played it so could be difficult for us, plus we use one more sub and that's it another knock and we're down to 10...

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

Smith has got his tactics on this so very wrong. Everyone knows the way to play Wolves is to keep it tight and sit back, they can't break you down that way. It's why they struggle against so many teams in the bottom half.

Wolves is one of the only game where you HAVE to adapt your tactics.

Incredible how naive Smith is. On level with Farke.