England v Montenegro/Kosovo v England

andykeenan

I think not being injured is probably the main thing Jack needs to be in order to get a game. Im pretty sure he'd have been called up for this squad if he was fit. 

• Like 1

Also really nice to see England kill off a game as spectacularly as they have tonight.  Kosovo will probably feel like the scoreline has flattered us, but England have been ruthless in the final quarter of an hour.  

England have the dubious ability to consistently smash teams they should beat in qualifying but look unconvincing in doing so. 

I'm not complaining, this is one of the best England teams I've seen. I like Southgate, and I like his approach and the teams he picks. I'm not sure England have the ability to be pragmatic, so when it comes to the Euros next year we need to invoke Kevin Keegan's Newcastle and keep scoring. 

• Like 2

Thought Mings did what he needed to which was good to see, even though the commentators appeared to put him down after every touch.

As mentioned, it’s far too soon for Hudson-Odoi to make an impact on the international stage. He looked below average.

Also getting dismayed with us picking two defensive midfielders against lesser teams. Neither knew what the other was doing and it hampered attacking play.

both fixtures would’ve been ideal for Grealish and what he brings to a team. I’m beginning to doubt we’ll ever get to know.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2019 at 20:16, CardiffGreens said:

Sir Harry now up to joint outright 6th record scorer, bit of a jump till he can catch up with lil' Mickey Owen though.

Nice to have a stress free football match for once. 

With the amount of internationals played and sub standard opposition about he’s going to blow the all time England record to bits. Could easily get to 100 international goals by the end of his career

Edited by PaulC

39 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I must have slept through about half a decade, because I can barely remember Owen scoring for us outside of the obvious games. Old age brain fart I guess.

There was a period from maybe 98 - 02 where Owen was basically scoring every other game for club and country. That's where he got half of his England goals.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Crazy part about Owen he was like 28/29 when he had his last cap

Don’t think Shearer was much older.

i don’t get, retiring from international football.  Surely winning a World Cup would be the absolute pinnacle. 

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

i don’t get, retiring from international football.  Surely winning a World Cup would be the absolute pinnacle. 

There was very little danger of England doing that back then. Plus, the English press were all over them for every misplaced pass. I could see why the top players really could do without the agro of representing England.

I think the opposite is true now. Gareth has the press cutting the players a bit of slack and we're going into tournaments as genuine contenders.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Don’t think Shearer was much older.

Owen didn't really retire, Capello didn't rate him at all. Called him up for his first two squads, he was unused sub v Swiss and then came on as late sub v France and played out wide. Didn't get a single call up afterwards. When Capello left just before euro 2012 Owen was practically retired then.

I could actually see a little where Capello was coming from as that stage he'd had the serious ACL at 2006 world cup and admitted in his recent book he couldn't really do the things he was capable of in early 20s so could really just goal poach.

At the time England had young options like Walcott and erm Agbonlahor so that's the route Capello wanted to go down. Owen certainly would've broken the scoring record and set it close to 60 for Rooney to break if he'd played up to 2012.

Â