tonyh29

Would having to pay more for drink stop you drinking  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Would having to pay more for drink stop you drinking

• Yes
    • No
    • I'd drink meths instead

I've already given up drinking, so i just clicked yes :thumb:

I stopped for a while and felt much better physically and mentally, concentration levels were up and I had more energy. I went out on Saturday night, had a skin full and all week I've felt shit and had no energy. I'm seriously thinking it's something I just don't need any more if it does that to me.

Not drinking at home is no problem, going out is when it feels a bit weird but I don't go out as much any more so it's not too much of a problem.

I stopped for a while and felt much better physically and mentally, concentration levels were up and I had more energy.

Yes, then I left work that day and went straight back on it :thumb:

I stopped for a while and felt much better physically and mentally, concentration levels were up and I had more energy.

Yes, then I left work that day and went straight back on it :thumb:

:lol:

there speaks an Oirishman! :winkold:

Well growing up a place where the taxes on alcohol is sky high, i can promise you that you will more then likely drink less. OR you will make it yourself to save moneh.

Unless you have shed loads of money and can afford paying stooped amounts for it. I've never really considered quitting drinking, but I've been so poor its been only light beer thats been the option :(

Another money spinner I think, unless they put the prices stupidly high then I will continue to drink alcohol. If people want to damage themselves then let them carry on! I'd be interested to see how much strain it puts on the NHS compared to other things.

I'd be interested to see how much strain it puts on the NHS compared

Alcohol misuse is costing the NHS up to £3 billion a year

The annual cost of alcohol-related crime and public disorder has been estimated at £7.3bn, the cost to employers has been put at £6.4bn.

interestingly the bit below was form a news story in 2004 .. 4 years later it appears the govt are still dithering ..but by now we all know that

The government is due to publish a strategy for tackling Britain's booze culture shortly.

Ideas the government is said to be considering are bans on happy hours, tobacco-style health warnings on drinks and better labelling.

Experts fear they may not go far enough, while drinkers are dubious whether such ideas would work.

Last week, experts from the Academy of Medical Sciences recommended the cost of alcoholic drinks be increased by 10% to encourage people to drink less.

Raise the prices, or raise the age to 21? Which would be more effective?

Don't be daft, that'd *cost* money, not make it!

I'm sick of being raped of all of my money in the name of "responsibility", be it alcohol, smoking, or "green taxes".

I'm not in favour of giving more money for anything, be it to the government or supermarkets. People drink, eat, and smoke too much because they have addictive behaviour, taxing drink or fags won't solve anything. I'm willing to bet the the consumption of weed will go up at the same rate as the price of alcohol does.

Increase the legal age of drinking to 25!

Might make it harder for for children to openly drink on street corners, and would also reduce the amount of fuckwittery we see in our town centres every weekend by kids who can't hold their ale, which costs the taxpayer billions each year to deal with.

Thank you, Great Britain, for taking away our title of world's biggest fuckwits (at least as far as alcohol is concerned).

From what i heard on the Radio last week, they are trying to get rid of the deals for booze here,

and get rid of the tv advertisements and radio advertisements,

but to answer the first question, i'd still drink even if the price went up 50%,

as it is though were paying 4.50 minium for a pint of Bulmers/Magners here and most place it will cost you 5.20/50,

in my day... :lol:...

it is a difficult one because no matter how expensive Alchol is, it will always be available and you can make it yourself you know

easiest things are for laws to stop it being subisdised

Pubs should NOT be hit, they are a great place to go and most problems occur away from pubs

Police to be given proper powers to stop street drinking

Parents to be held totally responsbile for an under 16 who is drunk

allow kids to drink small amounts in pubs when with parents and obviously responsible

Â