UK Christmas Markets

tomav84

I do love an Xmas market. I've been to a few...the likes of Brum, Bath, and Manc are all excellent. But we're looking for a day (or overnight) trip somewhere else around late Nov/early Dec and thought it might be a good to go somewhere we've not been before that may perhaps have an above average Christmas market. Does anyone have experience of any in random towns/cities in the UK that particularly stood out for you?

ive done Bristol before, that was ok, nice city with decent bars / restaurants and ok normal shops

i'll be back for Brum this year again, my german missus thinks its better than here, Cologne is ok but spread across several small markets so loses a bit, Bonn has a really good market, kind of same size as Brum but less repetition 

and feuerzangenbowle > gluhwein, thank me later ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

I do love an Xmas market. I've been to a few...the likes of Brum, Bath, and Manc are all excellent. But we're looking for a day (or overnight) trip somewhere else around late Nov/early Dec and thought it might be a good to go somewhere we've not been before that may perhaps have an above average Christmas market. Does anyone have experience of any in random towns/cities in the UK that particularly stood out for you?

Get over to a Belgian one. Not much further.

• Thanks 1

Yea Christmas markets are about being away from the UK...I just don’t think we have quite got it right compared with some places. 

Vienna was beautiful, went a couple of years back for two nights.

Off to Goslar (Germany) next year. Supposed to be good. 

Sorry I realise I haven’t helped at all... 

here’s a cat gif instead: 

cat fail GIF

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am actually excited about this.

I have been to the Christmas markets in Leipzig, and they were awesome.

In London, they apparently have a big one at Hyde Park, called Winter Wonderland. I was planning a trip to Hyde Park anyway, but this is a nice bonus. I have heard the one in Brum is really good too.

@villa4europe, yes, gluhwein is the bomb, especially if the weather is cold.

I'd strongly advocate for the Lincoln Christmas Market. Set in and around the castle and cathedral and in a lovely town anyway. Fairly traditional with a little bit of the normal tat and fairground rides as well. Only runs for four days but well worth a visit, plenty of great pubs on Steep Hill too. Plus it's a northern uni town so it's pretty cheap! Go at night.

Oh, and for the record, it's a billion times better than crappy Brum Market - I really don't get the hype of the same six overpriced German stalls on repeat up an ugly street in the centre!

Edited by jackbauer24
  • Thanks 1

Edinburgh.  Probably more than an overnight, though.

...Enjoy delicious food and drink and traditional crafts at the Scottish Market on George Street, pick up unique gifts and goods at the European Market in the Mound Precinct, or choose presents for the wee ones in the Children's Market, part of Santa Land in Princes Street Gardens...

Also a big wheel and ice rink.

Ahhh Brum Xmas market. The time of festive cheer when we have to have undercover police in the market to catch organised pick pocket gangs. Where we have to have concrete barriers surrounding it so no religious fanatic in a truck tries to mow people down and where we have armed police on show to prevent suicide bombers or knife wielding terrorists. 

Happy Christmas and Welcome to Birmingham ;)

p.s Heard Lincoln is very nice

Edited by Xela

Â