Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

Match Polls  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/19 at 23:59

13 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

It pains me to say it, but its for this reason that i think DS needs to be moved on.

He has taken us as far as he can, and i respect his achievements, but his in game management is terrible and it happens nearly every game.

Wesley was a complete passenger all game, hourihane is not the man you bring on when youre under pressure and bringing on kodjia? I mean WTF? Talk about the least hard working player in the squad!  May have well not put anyone 9n, would have had the se effect.

For all the good DS has done to get us here and assemble this squad, his weaknesses are costing us nearly every game and its not getting better.

In time you might be right, but at this particular moment your suggestion is utterly ridiculous. The guy is growing with the team and the club as a whole. Overall the progress is still very much on an upward curve, so for that reason alone getting rid is illogical.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Sadly after being 1-0 up for most of the game what I thought would happen did happen. 😦

We need a better striker to capitalise on the opportunities we have.

same here......and I hate myself for thinking it.

In the cold light after the game.....you can't lose that much ball as we were towards the end against a team like that.

We did what we have almost always done over the last 30 years, its almost ingrained within the psyche of the club

i suspect if you were to do an analysis of the top 60 clubs in the UK where points were dropped in games in the last 5 minutes over this period of time we would finish in the top 3

Likewise if you were to do an analysis of the top 60 clubs in the UK where points were won in games in the last 5 minutes over this period of time we would finish in the bottom 3

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

same here......and I hate myself for thinking it.

In the cold light after the game.....you can't lose that much ball as we were towards the end against a team like that.

And hoofing the ball straight back to them did not help either.

• Like 1

WEsley was terrific. I agree tho once Kodjia came on nothing was going to stick up front and his work rate was never going to be on a level as wesleys. Elmo was ok but the other two subs stunk.

SMith cannot get away with making the same mistakes week in week out. The like for like subs is a  bottle job way of doing things.. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Sometimes it feels that we are playing a handicap system whereby we don't have a striker. I liked wes's endeavour today but he has knack of never being where you want your striker to be

I noticed so many second balls going to them , they were picking up everything at one point....not sure what causes it, reading the game, tiredness, positioning.....but i guess it compounds the tiredness in the end.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I really could cry.

We were knackered, and the Liverpool press is ridiculously relentless!

A draw I would have taken, but a loss is heartbreaking.

Even worse that there I was looking at us up to 9th in the table.

Now it's just a "this is what you could have won". 😭

Its very,very difficult to criticise a performance like that.......but it can be seen coming, which is the most gauling.

They can't score for 85 minutes then get 2 with ease in 10 minutes.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Eh? Not in Dean Smith world/reality surely? We have just come up, were competitive with City and Liverpool and were 10 mins away from beating a quite incredible Liverpool team. Those aren't huge mental blows, they are reasons to be very confident we can stay up this season and reasons to not be afraid of anyone in this league. We are improving all the time if you ask me, a lot of people who had not been following us would have thought we'd get embarrassed badly at the Etihad and at home to Liverpool. We were a million miles from that. We appear to be a good Premier League team, a year ago we were playing like strangers and mid table in the Championship after we'd nearly gone bust in the summer. Now we're disappointed we didn't become the first team to beat Liverpool for a very long time. 

Huge mental blows. **** off. 

When you keep losing in the second half from being in a winning position it is bound to affect you. As TRO said above, we could see it coming. Even if pool we're playing shit we've got a reputation for this sort of thing. We've already dropped a frightening amount of points from winning positions. It creates a mental affect. I know if I was an opposing manager would know being 1 or 2 down with 30 to go you've still got a great chance at a result as villa get tired/lose concentration/are bottlers etc. Fair enough it was against Liverpool but we're not exactly looking dominant against the also rans either aside from Norwich, who managed to beat City. 

The way other teams are picking up points means every one will be incredibly valuable. I'd rather not look back at this and think FFS couldn't we have just shut up shop. 

Edited by VillaJ100

24 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

It pains me to say it, but its for this reason that i think DS needs to be moved on.

He has taken us as far as he can, and i respect his achievements, but his in game management is terrible and it happens nearly every game.

Wesley was a complete passenger all game, hourihane is not the man you bring on when youre under pressure and bringing on kodjia? I mean WTF? Talk about the least hard working player in the squad!  May have well not put anyone 9n, would have had the se effect.

For all the good DS has done to get us here and assemble this squad, his weaknesses are costing us nearly every game and its not getting better.

I'm not sure how serious you're being, but while you may have a point that his game management needs to seriously improve (I agree with this), sacking him at this point would not be right. I don't know who could replace him but he deserves more respect than this given what he's done for us. He definitely needs to improve his ability to get the team to see out games and be fit enough to play for 90 mins, but he is held back somewhat by his lack of options on the bench. It's going to take two or three windows before we will feasibly have players to come off the bench and make a difference at this level. I'd also like to see us play a more possession-based game like he did with Brentford that we're yet to see here. We play the long ball too often, which is maybe forgiven a bit more against a top side like Liverpool but we even do it against teams like Brighton. We have a quality midfield and I'd like to see Luiz, Nakamba, McGinn, Grealish get the ball more and hold possession.

DS will not come under pressure for losing games like today and City. We do need to break the consecutive defeats I think by getting something at Wolves next week (three days after they play in the Europa League) and we have some massive games coming up in November and December against Newcastle, Sheff Utd, Southampton, Norwich and Watford which we should be looking to win. If we struggle to win those games and we're in the bottom 3 come the new year, then yes DS may need to be moved on, but I'm confident we won't be and we'll win the majority of those winnable games. 

47 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I don’t normally respond to posts like this. We’re all allowed our opinions. But please, have a bit of perspective. We’re all gutted about the way the game ended today but I for one am proud of the club in general at the moment. 

We don’t have a divine right to best teams like Liverpool. Last year we were in the championship. DS might have weaknesses, but to suggest he moves on smacks of naivety. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Jesus Christ man. 

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That one stings a bit.

I thought we were superb, I really did - we matched their intensity, their pace, the movement of the ball, their energy, right from the off and then maintained that almost until the finish. We thoroughly deserved our lead when it came. I thought we then defended it really, really well and if we'd managed to grab a second on the break, or we'd had the rub of the green with the ref then we could have taken all three points.

Three points would have been more than we deserved in fairness; Liverpool created tonnes of chances during the game and were always in it. Not getting one point at the end though is really harsh on us I thought.

Heaton was good - there was one save in the second half that he seemed to make with his face that was particularly impressive, both centre backs were really calm, assured and strong, Targett was decent and I thought Guilbert did really well for an hour on a dead leg. For me, three Villa players stood out - Marvellous Nakamba who I thought was brilliant, constantly snuffing out attacks and chasing things down and the two wide men, Trezeguet and El Ghazi who absolutely ran their socks off both in getting forward and in getting back.

Liverpools full backs are incredibly athletic and we needed that support from our wingers to try to cover them - the balance they have with those two bombing forward and Henderson dropping in to cover runners is really impressive. The front three didn't really spark although you could see the quality and Mane should have been sent off for one of the three or four fouls he committed after his well deserved booking for his dive. The two full backs though are very, very impressive. Oh and if Virgil Van Dijk is the best centre back in the world, I'm Billy Corkhill - he struggled today with Wesley's strength.

The referee got worse as the game went on and has ended up helping Liverpool over the line - it was interesting to see VAR booed and mocked both before the game when Elbow Shearer introduced it and then on every occasion that it was used, and even after those decisions went (correctly) in our favour, it was still roundly mocked by our fans - it's a time-wasting nonsense and fans see it.

Liverpool are a very good side and we've given them a scare in a game we deserved to get something out of - the atmosphere was excellent, the players gave it everything they had and there was much to suggest that we're not far off being a good side ourselves. 

I'm not sure how I expected to feel after a game I thought we'd lose - but I don't think "gutted but proud" was what I was expecting.

This one stings a bit - but we're definitely heading in the right direction.

agree with that.

Their fullbacks are superb.....irritatingly so.

I think we are a good team now.....just need to improve on certain aspects of our game.....oh and get a clock that gains 10 minutes during a game.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You are. What more do you want?

I dunno. A win?

Anyways, I just thought it was a weird word to use in that context, but it's just me. I try to remember to be grateful next time. It was more exciting than expected. 

• Like 1

Â