Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

Match Polls  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/19 at 23:59

44 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Yes I did and it was a terrific afternoon.

Im calm because we played very well,  could’ve won, and the defeat is less important than the performance.

Me too. We played well, the players who have been a bit below par stepped up big time, there was organisation effort skill and commitment. We were unlucky to lose that, but you can’t complain when the team plays like that against the best team in the country

• Like 4

Just to add to the above post from @blandy Trezuget, for example, was unrecognisable from Wednesday night.

He will be a huge asset against weaker sides if he performs to that level.. which Smith now will expect from him.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

It pains me to say it, but its for this reason that i think DS needs to be moved on.

He has taken us as far as he can, and i respect his achievements, but his in game management is terrible and it happens nearly every game.

Wesley was a complete passenger all game, hourihane is not the man you bring on when youre under pressure and bringing on kodjia? I mean WTF? Talk about the least hard working player in the squad!  May have well not put anyone 9n, would have had the se effect.

For all the good DS has done to get us here and assemble this squad, his weaknesses are costing us nearly every game and its not getting better.

OMG. Is this a serious post? 

• Like 1

We played well, every player put in a shift, we're still learning and improving. Think back to the team we had 12 months ago and dream about where we could be 12 months from now. 

Trezeguet was tireless, El Ghazi had arguably his best game for us (bar the failure to track back for their equaliser) Mingles were both colossal and SJM's arse roll was in full effect. Yes it's frustrating to have dropped points (again) but were competing against the very best teams in Europe.

That's the key, we're back and competing, not floundering, not collapsing. Marvel at the progress, drink to forget the scoreline (only within your limits) and celebrate that at least we didn't get fu**ed by VAR today!

Edited by Darth Villa
Typo
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

It pains me to say it, but its for this reason that i think DS needs to be moved on.

He has taken us as far as he can, and i respect his achievements, but his in game management is terrible and it happens nearly every game.

Wesley was a complete passenger all game, hourihane is not the man you bring on when youre under pressure and bringing on kodjia? I mean WTF? Talk about the least hard working player in the squad!  May have well not put anyone 9n, would have had the se effect.

For all the good DS has done to get us here and assemble this squad, his weaknesses are costing us nearly every game and its not getting better.

Dog What GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

suspicious fry GIF

get out of here bill murray GIF

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hippo said:

Thought the ref cost us - it was open season on Wesley - who seemed unable to challenge for the ball with the ref blowing his whistle.

Don't also think the free kick at the end should have been given....the ref played advantage - Liverpool got to have a shot on goal - but because they didn't score - he then gave them the free kick ?

Liverpool weren't great tbh , Mane was lucky to be on the pitch after a second foul...

Quite a big skirmish outside the away end after...

bet they got VAR and we lost that as well.😀

I get the reaction of pride that we more than matched Liverpool for nearly 90 minutes, and I share that feeling fully.

However, I am also disappointed the we went down to two rather soft goals. We shouldn’t take any pleasure from the way we finally lost and defensive organisation and focus needs more work.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Dean Smith isn't responsible if someone doesn't track their man - the equaliser was because El Ghazi didn't follow Robertson, and the winner because Kodjia (I think) didn't follow Mane. There's only so much a manager can do.

8 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Strange feeling this evening.  Half of me is a bit fed up losing to a 94th minute goal, but half of me is immensely proud of the players and staff this evening.

We’ve just given the current champions of Europe and leaders of the league one helluva game, that they were fortunate to win in the end.  Champions elect do this kind of thing where they just keep going and don’t accept being beaten.  How many times down the years have we seen Man Utd and more recently Man City score last minute/injury time goals.  It’s that never say die/winning mentality.   

Devastating as it is to lose, I truly believe playing like we have today that we will stay in this league and hopefully do so with some points to spare.  Annoying, gutting, heart wrenching, but proud of my team.  UTV 

Yeah....I can endorse that.

85 bloody minutes........but we were out on our feet....and once they got one, the second was inevitable.

Well we gave them a bloody nose but that is the cruelest way to lose a game.

Have to say Wesley was incredible the way he repeatably clattered both their centre halves in a performance I'd never seen from him before.

Won loads of ball in the air that he had no right to. I think the players were suprised he would win them they sometimes didn't move for his flicks. If he can play like this everyweek we will have the new diego costa on our hands. He battered them.

Trez was outstanding. work rate from him has always been there but he was a handfull in possession jinking his way thru.

Guilbert was outstandiing up and down the pitch. Mings McGinn el gazi target all solid 8 out of 10's

I thought Luiz again was poor. Althought Smith made a big mistake bringing on hourihane. It should of been Lansbury.  Hourihane had a big chance to make it two. but opted to square to trez who couldn't get a clean shot.

I am really deflated. especially sheff united winning. all the other promoted teams have had a big scalp except Villa. Liverpool fans look me in the eye and tell me you deserve that win.

After watching Salah closely I thought he looked knackered and probably peaked whilst we were in the champ.  Sane is an absolutle despicable cheat. Diving all over the place and cynical fouls. However he looks like pele the way he moves. Firminio wasn't that good today did nothing really. Lallana looked like a deep laying playmaker today played in front of the centre halves. Liverpools best players were their full backs that arnold can just ping balls 60 yards with no back lift.

• Like 2

Sadly after being 1-0 up for most of the game what I thought would happen did happen. 😦

We need a better striker to capitalise on the opportunities we have.

• Like 1

I honestly can’t fault anybody today from manager, players to fans.  The players gave everything and I’m proud of the performance.  Playing the best team in Europe and one nil up until 86th minute and just felt we were unlucky in the end.

I said before the game that plop always score in the 94th minute by hook or by crook and they did.

Ref was abysmal and we certainly didn’t get our fair share.

I didn’t  expect any points from city or plop but we were unlucky in the end and gave performances which is all I can ask.

Performance puts us in good for lesser teams and the rest of the season.

Proud of the team today, disappointed surprisingly in the result.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

I get the reaction of pride that we more than matched Liverpool for nearly 90 minutes, and I share that feeling fully.

However, I am also disappointed the we went down to two rather soft goals. We shouldn’t take any pleasure from the way we finally lost and defensive organisation and focus needs more work.

its the first goal , looking like a replica of the Brighton Goal that vexed me.....same bloody spot, same bloody error.

20 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Thou hast committed the great sin of questioning saint Smith of Villa Park.

Thou shalt be castigated, mocked and cast out from Villatalk . Enjoy the wilderness.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Haha 1

Â