The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

42 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

On negotiation with the EU, if they were an independent country, willing to join on the EU’s terms and accept the EU’s rules where would the problem be? There are already 11 members of the EU with smaller populations than Scotland, they would join as a mid ranking oil producing state with fishing waters. Independence is a fairly normal thing.

Negotiation with the UK would be more difficult, I think she’d basically offer Westminster their nukes back and a cut of Scottish oil. It wouldn’t be easy, but there would be no reason for it to be the chaotic shit show of the last 3 years. The main problem would surely be whether Westminster could sort out its end of any negotiation. Their track record recently is truly shocking. During the last indie ref a number of my friends went up there and helped out, it was truly a pro inclusion positive happy campaign. Nothing negative about foreigners or the english or immigration. Just about the polar opposite of Brexit.

As for not talking up the Union, well, erm, I guess the clue is in the title? I mean, I’ve never heard Johnson talking up Corbyn. She comes over as far more coherent than Corbyn or Johnson.

As for others suggesting she’s a shady character that hates the english with a massive ‘tell’ when she lies - what utter bollocks.

Isn't part of Scotlands problem that over half a million people work in the public sector,  Now thats fine with a population of 60 odd million. but if the population is only 5, there's a big discrepancy. To put it into perspective if the rest of the uk had the same % the public sector would rise from about 5.3m to about 7.5m

1 minute ago, colhint said:

Isn't part of Scotlands problem that over half a million people work in the public sector,  Now thats fine with a population of 60 odd million. but if the population is only 5, there's a big discrepancy. To put it into perspective if the rest of the uk had the same % the public sector would rise from about 5.3m to about 7.5m

I think it’s very noble of others to worry about the future prospects of the Scots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

On negotiation with the EU, if they were an independent country, willing to join on the EU’s terms and accept the EU’s rules where would the problem be? There are already 11 members of the EU with smaller populations than Scotland, they would join as a mid ranking oil producing state with fishing waters. Independence is a fairly normal thing.

EU accession talks can be vetoed, can't they?

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Negotiation with the UK would be more difficult, I think she’d basically offer Westminster their nukes back and a cut of Scottish oil. It wouldn’t be easy, but there would be no reason for it to be the chaotic shit show of the last 3 years. The main problem would surely be whether Westminster could sort out its end of any negotiation. Their track record recently is truly shocking. During the last indie ref a number of my friends went up there and helped out, it was truly a pro inclusion positive happy campaign. Nothing negative about foreigners or the english or immigration. Just about the polar opposite of Brexit.

It's not that the negotiation would be any huge issue (it may be) but that there are all of the fundamental problems that were never thought about prior to Brexit - paperwork, rules of origin, tariffs, ntbs, &c.

There are similar practical difficulties in Scotland leaving the Union as there are the UK leaving the EU.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, colhint said:

I'm not worried about them, but it is definitely they have to consider wouldn't you think.

Well, I can’t speak for the population of a different place. But I guess they’ve looked at Malta, or Cyprus, Bulgaria or Slovakia and thought, y’know what we could be in charge of our own destiny. Yes, we don’t currently run a perfect state within a state but if we wait for the permission of others it could take a bit longer.

It’s got similarities to Brexit, there’s a lot of people just want the ‘freedom’ of not being part of a vast trading block with all it’s benefits. 

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

EU accession talks can be vetoed, can't they?

It's not that the negotiation would be any huge issue (it may be) but that there are all of the fundamental problems that were never thought about prior to Brexit - paperwork, rules of origin, tariffs, ntbs, &c.

There are similar practical difficulties in Scotland leaving the Union as there are the UK leaving the EU.

Yes, it can be vetoed. I guess the obvious candidate for black balling would be Spain. What Spain have suggested a few times is they would stop Scotland joining so their own internal problems go away. I think Spain might be in the wrong and might be on the wrong side of history. Maybe.

Negotiation can be difficult and there is always room for the unforeseen. But you wouldn’t vote against independence for fear of additional paperwork, would you?

Independence is normal, the Czechs managed it, East Germany managed it, Malta managed it. I’d be fairly confident that Scotland could manage it if they wanted it enough.

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

East Germany managed it,

Where is this independent East Germany you speak of?

Not to denegrate your point, which I'm not unsympathetic with but thats not a good example to lead with, nor is Czech either tbh. Both completely swapped their economic model, one lumped itself in with it's rich brothers, the other then had to separate again further down the line

I know little about Malta apart from its one of the cheapest EU citizenships going, htey like shooting small birds and moving Russian money, oh and Queeny gave them a gong

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Where is this independent East Germany you speak of?

Not to denegrate your point, which I'm not unsympathetic with but thats not a good example to lead with, nor is Czech either tbh. Both completely swapped their economic model, one lumped itself in with it's rich brothers, the other then had to separate again further down the line

I know little about Malta apart from its one of the cheapest EU citizenships going, htey like shooting small birds and moving Russian money, oh and Queeny gave them a gong

East Germany, a completely state run, failing enterprise that was controlled by the Soviets. I used it as an example of a small dependent place, poor, no experience of independence reliant on others and massively reliant on state organised employment. Then one day (Hollywood version) they realised they could sack that off and become part of West Germany. There are similarities there with Scotland sacking off the UK for the EU. Not a perfect comparison, just one of many.

The Czechs have managed it twice, freeing themselves of Russia and then perfectly amicably separating from Slovakia.

Malta was part of the British Empire, never ran it’s own affairs in modern history, massively dependent on state jobs, didn’t even have enough drinking water for it’s own population. Then, in 1964, a very poor place with all industry and land owned by outsiders, voted 54% for independence. So far, they’ve survived.

2 minutes ago, colhint said:

oops thanks

Spain has it quite bad with the seperatists. It's not just the Catalonians and Basques, there are albeit smaller Galician and Andulucian Speratist movements too. There may be others, I think possibly there ae but I forget those

8 minutes ago, colhint said:

France also could veto, they also have a Catalan population

Yes they could, in fact one of the few that won’t have control over it would be Westminster. As they will have taken back control.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

They do but Pyrenees-Orientals has shown no desire not to be part of France

By coincidence, first bit of trouble on the border and just inside France today. French police had to rough up a peaceful protest.

• Thanks 1