The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

35 minutes ago, snowychap said:

She/He’s absolutely right. Legal aid has been absolutely crippled by the Tories it’s at breaking point, in particular criminal legal aid. No increases during the Tory Governments and actually reduced so in real terms it has gone down significantly. Utter disgrace given that this is meant to be those that are in the most need and facing serious allegations/consequences. Tally that with the mass closure of courts there is a real detriment for people’s access to justice. 

Whether we spend more or less than other countries doesn’t matter, this country needs to spend more on legal aid to get it back to actually helping people or it will get a lot worse. 

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It certainly is the most favourable so far, though note the new one from ComRes:

National Prediction: Conservative short 4 of majority

Party 2017 Votes 2017 Seats Pred Votes Gains Losses Net Change Pred Seats
CON 43.5% 318 42.8% 7 3 +4 322
LAB 41.0% 262 35.8% 2 12 -10 252
LIB 7.6% 12 11.9% 2 1 +1 13
Brexit 0.0% 0 3.0% 0 0 +0 0
Green 1.7% 1 2.0% 0 0 +0 1
SNP 3.1% 35 3.7% 6 0 +6 41
PlaidC 0.5% 4 0.5% 0 1 -1 3
UKIP 1.9% 0 0.0% 0 0 +0 0
Other 0.7% 0 0.2% 0 0 +0 0
N.Ire   18   0 0 +0 18

Given that even the DUP don’t want to work with the Tories, only a total screw over by the Lib Dem’s would mean this isn’t a hung parliament. That might mean a referendum on Tory deal vs Remain but otherwise a non-functioning government, again. 

Edited by cyrusr

11 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

National Prediction: Conservative short 4 of majority

Party 2017 Votes 2017 Seats Pred Votes Gains Losses Net Change Pred Seats
CON 43.5% 318 42.8% 7 3 +4 322
LAB 41.0% 262 35.8% 2 12 -10 252
LIB 7.6% 12 11.9% 2 1 +1 13
Brexit 0.0% 0 3.0% 0 0 +0 0
Green 1.7% 1 2.0% 0 0 +0 1
SNP 3.1% 35 3.7% 6 0 +6 41
PlaidC 0.5% 4 0.5% 0 1 -1 3
UKIP 1.9% 0 0.0% 0 0 +0 0
Other 0.7% 0 0.2% 0 0 +0 0
N.Ire   18   0 0 +0 18

Given that even the DUP don’t want to work with the Tories, only a total screw over by the Lib Dem’s would mean this isn’t a hung parliament. That might mean a referendum on Tory deal vs Remain but otherwise a non-functioning government, again. 

The DUP will support the tories, I think.

But the polls are very difficult to read.  I wouldn't want to be a pollster right now.

14 minutes ago, peterms said:

The DUP will support the tories, I think.

But the polls are very difficult to read.  I wouldn't want to be a pollster right now.

Nah DUP have come out and actively said they won’t support Johnson’s Brexit deal as it differentiates NI and the rest of the UK. In fact there’s been developments today on that Boris Johnson seems to have lost the trust of the DUP over Brexit Deal's threat to UK

Asked on BBC Radio 4's Today programme about the sense of some in the unionist community that Mr Johnson's deal was a "betrayal", she said: "I think it is right for the leadership of unionism in Northern Ireland to try to work with the prime minister of the day to get the best deal for Northern Ireland.

"We will always do that. We will continue to do that. I think it says more about the person who broke their word than me and the leadership of the... Democratic Unionist Party."

She said the DUP had been told by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) officials before the PM announced his deal that there would be checks between the mainland and Northern Ireland.

Mrs Foster said a lack of free-flowing trade would cause "economic instability in Northern Ireland, which will lead to higher costs for retailers which will lead to less choice for our consumers in Northern Ireland".

"And all of that leads me to say that we need to - after this election is over, and I'm not prejudging the election in any one way, every vote will count - but what is important is that we have a strong team of DUP MPs back in Westminster to speak up for Northern Ireland."

Add to that, the Ulster Unionist Party say remain over Boris deal and every other NI party is anti-brexit, whilst the DUP remain Johnson’s best hope in a hung parliament, even they will not agree to his plan as is.

However, as you say, the polls are now getting very tight. Not going to be easy.

Edited by cyrusr

I have this feeling that all the polls will under-predict the Tory total (like Brexit). I suspect people will keep the fact they are voting that way to themselves but mark the X next to conservative when it comes to polling day (for fear of being labelled racist).

38 minutes ago, Genie said:

I have this feeling that all the polls will under-predict the Tory total (like Brexit). I suspect people will keep the fact they are voting that way to themselves but mark the X next to conservative when it comes to polling day (for fear of being labelled racist).

Maybe, but you'd think that very fact of feeling as though they'd have to keep quiet about it would be pause for thought. 

Where is Kier Starmer, I know you could also ask where is JRM. It seems all the press is about Boris and Jeremy. But if, as it seems to be all about Brexit, and Starmer is his Brexit man, where is he. He seems a reasonable person. I think Corbyn is marmite, Surely he should be talking about Brexit a lot more to counter Boris