The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That sounds plausible. I confess I don't know much about politics in the Senedd. 

It's not just the Senedd, it's local councils too. They no longer run Merthyr Council, Merthyr FFS, that is literally red rosette on a doinkey territory (or it was), it's now run by the Independent Residents Party or whatever they are called.

44 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not seen any polls recently, what’s the likelihood  of the Tories getting a majority? 

Currently still the most likely outcome.

But 2 weeks to go, it’s going to come down to who can keep their leader out of the public eye the longest.

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

it demonstrates the damage that the SNP, and to a much lesser extent Plaid, are doing to Labour's prospects. The SNP's vote share is only about 4% of the total, but they are likely to take well over 40 seats, in most of which Labour are in second place, and there seems to no prospect whatsoever of squeezing that vote (which would be the highest return for smallest portion of vote squeeze). Instead Labour need to try to bring the Lib Dem vote down as far as possible, but that might well help Tories rather than hinder them overall, since Lib Dems are more frequently competitive in areas of the country where Labour aren't. The big prize is winning over the most marginal Tory voters, but I think that would take some fairly major missteps from their campaign that haven't been in evidence yet.

[Edit] This reply was written before I saw posts by @chrisp65 and HV and Bicks discussing the same thing. [/edit]

This post makes me sad - "the damage that the SNP, and to a much lesser extent Plaid, are doing to Labour's prospects" - To me that's the wrong way round. SNP and Plaid are clearly offering something to the voters in Scotland and Wales which the people who live there prefer to what Labour offers. If Labour is trailing, it's not the others doing the "damaging" it's Labour not being good enough, or being what they should be - the damage is done by Labour, basically, no-one else.

And then you move on to "Labour need to try to bring the Lib Dem vote down". No, they don't. Labour need to either increase the Labour vote OR accept that in some places the Lib Dems are actually well placed to unseat Tories and actually allow the LDs a chance to do so (as do the LDs in reverse in other areas).

So it all reads like a photographic negative. Obviously if all you want is a Corbyn gov't and nothing else will do, then that negative slant is understandable, perhaps - "It's others stopping us, the nasty others, Booo!".

But to me whether inadvertently or not, it kind of reads all wrong. Because if what you want more than anything is "not tory government" then the SNP, Plaid, Lib Dems, Green, Independents are not "damaging" things by being more popular than Labour in some places, they're part of the solution. They're doing or offering things Labour fails to do. The tories and Labour have gone into their Silos and are ignoring an awful lot of the populations of England, Wales, Scotland and NI.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Currently still the most likely outcome.

But 2 weeks to go, it’s going to come down to who can keep their leader out of the public eye the longest.

Ah right, so Conservative with a majority is currently most likely? In a way it'll break the deadlock I guess. Bad news it'll probably sink. Oh well.

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

I genuinely still haven't decided who is getting my vote

I'm wrestling with whether any of them deserve my vote tbh. Absolute shambles from both of the 2 main parties.

Its kind of irrelevant anyway as my constituency is a strong Tory/leave seat.

25 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I've sent mine off, hard choice, I went Labour. I know I said Green, I just feel Labour will get closer. 

In pretty much the same boat. If I felt there was a realistic chance for the Greens, I would probably vote for them as policies closer. However, they have absolutely no chance (think will be 4th or 5th) and is a relatively safe Labour seat. However, Tories are 2nd and I believe it is a majority leave area so there are risk factors for the Tories to sneak it. I am thinking Labour would be safer bet, despite me not being particularly keen on them. I do appreciate their policies more so than the Tories and they are proposing PR of the Lords at least, so some movement in that direction. Also given the Labour MP was one of the voices of the anti no-deal stuff earlier on this year I am very grateful for that. 

The main position is to try and stop the country shooting itself in the foot, which it definitely has form for. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’d not really paid much attention to the poll, but only 17.36% are going for the Etonian Spunk Spaffers? 

Imagine if the VT poll was the most accurate of all the polls and this was the result? 

tenor.gif

Edited by wazzap24

18 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

In pretty much the same boat. If I felt there was a realistic chance for the Greens, I would probably vote for them as policies closer. However, they have absolutely no chance (think will be 4th or 5th) and is a relatively safe Labour seat. However, Tories are 2nd and I believe it is a majority leave area so there are risk factors for the Tories to sneak it. I am thinking Labour would be safer bet, despite me not being particularly keen on them. I do appreciate their policies more so than the Tories and they are proposing PR of the Lords at least, so some movement in that direction. Also given the Labour MP was one of the voices of the anti no-deal stuff earlier on this year I am very grateful for that. 

The main position is to try and stop the country shooting itself in the foot, which it definitely has form for. 

Exactly my position.  I've voted Green in a safe Labour seat, but don't want to risk there being any chance of an upset so will be lending my vote to Labour.  Our MP is a good one and pretty moderate - my vote is for him rather than Labour in general.  And anyway, there's bound to be another election before long!

• Like 1