The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

Not so sure about that. Obviously, it can be misused as well as abused but there's very much a place for using the term 'dog whistle' and there's very much a lot of 'dog whistle' stuff out there.

It is a word with meaning, of course, but it just seems to be abused to the point of ridiculousness. Mostly by the people that think anyone over 35 is a "boomer". 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

It is a word with meaning, of course, but it just seems to be abused to the point of ridiculousness. Mostly by the people that think anyone over 35 is a "boomer". 

The whole 'ok boomer' thing has become a meme/joke at this point. It's supposed to be ridiculous.

I just don't agree with your analysis of 'dogwhistling'.

Always remember Lee Atwater's famous words when wondering whether 'dog whistles' are a thing:

You start out in 1954 by saying, “N*****, n*****, n*****.” By 1968 you can’t say “n*****”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “N*****, n*****.”

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

But we could start with the baby steps of not asking 'gotcha' questions; as you say, 'have you ever lied in your political career' is a pointless question, as is 'will you take this opportunity to apologise for X', and 'do you watch the Queen's Christmas Address' as well. The answers to these questions - whatever they are, however truthful or otherwise - make no difference to anything at all. 

Oh, I definitely agree with you there.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think 30 minutes is enough to ask two or three meaningful questions on five or six policies. Maybe slightly less. That's enough to make the average voter considerably better-informed.

I'm not so sure - that's between 10 and 18 questions. Between 100 seconds and 3 minutes for question and answer (if no time's taken up with intros and summing up). I don't think that allows for much 'detail'.

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The whole 'ok boomer' thing has become a meme/joke at this point. It's supposed to be ridiculous.

image.png.f50f916e78025e8fa586912deb6d603d.png

I think mods may get angry if I post the whole original meme :P 

Edited by Davkaus

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Perhaps I'm throwing out the baby with the bathwater to an extent, this particular incident has annoyed me. Someone saying it's "a dog whistle" because he said "people of talent" rather than "talented people", which is just absurd to me.

Did they? That's silly.

I used the term 'dogwhistle' when I thought he said 'people of colour'. I think that was a correct usage.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

image.png.f50f916e78025e8fa586912deb6d603d.png

I think mobs may get angry if I post the whole original meme :P 

I knew you'd post that, but it's true. One of my employees who's 8 or so years older than me called me Boomer. I'm 27.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There's enough clear, hard evidence out there without throwing shit at him that's either 50/50 or just outright wrong. I think it just serves to help discredit the stronger arguments when you throw stuff like this at him that's easily batted aside,

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Did they? That's silly.

I used the term 'dogwhistle' when I thought he said 'people of colour'. I think that was a correct usage.

Ah, I see.

I can absolutely understand why you responded in the way you did - it might have seemed like it but I didn't post that after reading your comment, and I have no problem in your usage of it at all. I just came here to have a bit of a moan after reading some comments that annoyed me elsewhere. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's almost as if Boris Johnson is monumental, dishonest whopper.

No, it's simply a misunderstanding.  What the PM actually said was "There will be no cheques in the Irish Sea".  In other words, the contributions to the DUP re-election budget will all be made by electronic transfer, to avoid the possibility of post being mislaid in transit.

It's so unfair to misrepresent him like this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, peterms said:

No, it's simply a misunderstanding.  What the PM actually said was "There will be no cheques in the Irish Sea".  In other words, the contributions to the DUP re-election budget will all be made by electronic transfer, to avoid the possibility of post being mislaid in transit.

It's so unfair to misrepresent him like this.

I thought he said no Czechs in the irish sea.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Have you watched the video a couple of posts above you?

He's a bellend, but he absolutely did not say 'people of colour'.

It sounds totally different in the CH4 video. It sounds like talent in the BBC one, channel 4 definitely sounds like colour

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

It sounds totally different in the CH4 video. It sounds like talent in the BBC one, channel 4 definitely sounds like colour

Have you fully checked the BBC one, they've probably accidentally dubbed in the word talent from when he said it in an interview last year. Simple editing error anyone could have made.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Find your one and put it up for some A/B comparison.

If the BBC are making a habit of rewriting history,  like they did for Boris's massively disrespectable Remembrance Day gaffe, then we need to know.