The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's funny that you have these silent majorities - Leave/Tory.

If you have to be quiet about your intentions, based on shame and stigma, then surely it isn't a good thing.

Pretty much why I don't talk about famous women I fancy.

🤪

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's funny that you have these silent majorities - Leave/Tory.

If you have to be quiet about your intentions, based on shame and stigma, then surely it isn't a good thing.

Or maybe they are just confident enough in their own decision making abilities without feeling the need to get all preachy or sanctimonious it? 
It may surprise you but the majority of people actually try to avoid conflict, not create it. Whilst some are busy shouting about how amazing it is that a hundred thousand turn out for some or other protest march...there are still 60+ million others in the country at home just minding their own business.

A case maybe of ‘empty vessels make the most noise’? 

• Like 1

I never speak about politics with my parents who are Tory ( and leavers), as I cannot get my head round people who are willing to be so supportive of their family, yet refuse to extend that empathy outside a very narrow circle of interests. Like, beyond close friends and family, it's **** everyone else. I mean it's just so depressing. We britishly like to avoid conflict though so we just mutually agree never to talk about it. I mean I can assume that when I will have my own kids that my protective instincts might kick in to a point that priorities are more focussed, but I can't imagine me not thinking - I want them to have good schools, and opportunities, I mean, that doesn't happen if you destroy the public sector. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

based on shame and stigma

That's not really how we want the forum to be thought of surely ? If someone posts X they will be made to feel Y ?

Nobody knows the long term right or wrong vote long term but if we don't hear the other side we can't begin to understand their POV ?

Talk about stuff,  in a responsible manner,  that's all we have to do on VT 1 job.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Or maybe they are just confident enough in their own decision making abilities without feeling the need to get all preachy or sanctimonious it? 
It may surprise you but the majority of people actually try to avoid conflict, not create it. Whilst some are busy shouting about how amazing it is that a hundred thousand turn out for some or other protest march...there are still 60+ million others in the country at home just minding their own business.

You're doing more generalising than me there.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I never speak about politics with my parents who are Tory ( and leavers), as I cannot get my head round people who are willing to be so supportive of their family, yet refuse to extend that empathy outside a very narrow circle of interests. Like, beyond close friends and family, it's **** everyone else. I mean it's just so depressing. We britishly like to avoid conflict though so we just mutually agree never to talk about it. I mean I can assume that when I will have my own kids that my protective instincts might kick in to a point that priorities are more focussed, but I can't imagine me not thinking - I want them to have good schools, and opportunities, I mean, that doesn't happen if you destroy the public sector. 

My friend's mum voted Tory in 2010 and now blames Labour for the local public toilets closing, and for the bus routes being cut. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

That's not really how we want the forum to be thought of surely ? If someone posts X they will be made to feel Y ?

Nobody knows the long term right or wrong vote long term but if we don't hear the other side we can't begin to understand their POV ?

Talk about stuff,  in a responsible manner,  that's all we have to do on VT 1 job.

I can only speak of experience on this forum.

But, often those who voted leave try to explain their opinion, and it's usually debated and they take their ball and go home.

The only one who holds a consistent Leave position is Awol who is 100% leave for ideological reasons and there's no debating that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

My parents are tory. They aren’t shy or guilty about it. They’re just not on twitter.

Are you going to introduce them to twitter I think you should 😁 So they can keep up to date with the election and post stuff online ? 

Or are you giving that a swerve maybe 🙂

I thought it was pretty common knowledge and accepted that traditonally voting Tory is more about me and my own, and Labour was more about society.

it's the very nature of left/right.

it depends what you want and care about I guess. If you want to pay less tax, and accept cuts to public services from that reduced tax, vote Tory. You can see why it's a shy vote. People don't want to tell people that they're selfish.

• Like 3

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

I thought it was pretty common knowledge and accepted that traditonally voting Tory is more about me and my own, and Labour was more about society.

it's the very nature of left/right.

it depends what you want and care about I guess. If you want to pay less tax, and accept cuts to public services from that reduced tax, vote Tory. You can see why it's a shy vote. People don't want to tell people that they're selfish.

Pretty much how I see it.

28 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Are you going to introduce them to twitter I think you should 😁 So they can keep up to date with the election and post stuff online ? 

Or are you giving that a swerve maybe 🙂

After years and years of evidence to the contrary, my mum still believes anything and everything in a particularly notorious newspaper.
Her default setting when seeing something in print is ‘well they wouldn’t just make it up’.
We had a very brief discussion a couple of evenings ago, it was an absolute revelation to her that Johnson had ever been accused of ever having told a lie or ever having gone back on his word in any way on any issue.
As a counter to that, my mother in law would vote Labour if their candidate was the rotting corpse of Stalin caught shitting in the water supply. She’s also not on twitter, but does enjoy shouting ‘bloody idiot’ at any jogger or cyclist we pass whenever I drive her anywhere. She’d love twitter. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

A beautiful ode to those with the quiet bravery to close the curtains, sit on their hands and do nothing at all about anything whatsoever. Brought a tear to my eye it did 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

There is an element of the silent majority kinda don't need to say anything , they aren't exactly going to take to the streets to demand more of the same  ,  thus the left are slightly more galvanised because they feel they are fighting the good fight for change  , even if they are usually misguided and easily  hoodwinked into things like tactical voting as another way of trying to shoehorn Corbyn into number 10 ... 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

A beautiful ode to those with the quiet bravery to close the curtains, sit on their hands and do nothing at all about anything whatsoever. Brought a tear to my eye it did 🙂

To be fair, it's pretty much what Conservatism is.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

🤣

Brexit Party are a real threat to the Tories. We're remaining aren't we lads??

Pretty unpleasant thought to have to hope for FarageCorp to do unexpectedly well at this election. But very best of luck to him I say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

🤣

Brexit Party are a real threat to the Tories. We're remaining aren't we lads??

Yep, we need this.

I don't care if the outcome is Lib Dems or Labour with a majority, I just want to see a pathway towards a better society.

Obviously, I don't trust Swinson, but if it's Swinson or Johnson, there is only one answer. 

• Like 1