Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/11/19 at 23:59

Just got back from VP. Atmosphere was very odd tonight, felt a bit like a pre-season friendly.

Wolves were really bad, if I was a fan I would be furious at their lack of attacking intent. They were lucky to get one goal.

We weren't brilliant but we totally bossed possession and won the ball back well on multiple occasions and a win is a win.

Just seen Deano's interview. He is confident Jack is back on Saturday so now I am very happy. God I love the Villa!

• Like 2

I've just made another good point in the Kenain Davis thread about Wolves so called weakened side...

♫ Of that Wolves side this season Vallejo on loan from Real Madrid has seven first team appearances, Bennett twelve, Kilman six, Vinagre ten and again was a regular last season. Cutrone who cost them £20m plus has made seventeen first team appearances, Neto twelve, Jordao seven, and those two cost £20m. So this idea that Wolves played a 'third team' is an exaggeration as far as I can tell, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if their side had played more first team football than our side that we put out tonight has this season.

Yes it was obviously under strength but no where near as much as is being made out, still a very good win for us considering we too played our back-up team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I've just made another good point in the Kenain Davis thread about Wolves so called weakened side...

♫ Of that Wolves side this season Vallejo on loan from Real Madrid has seven first team appearances, Bennett twelve, Kilman six, Vinagre ten and again was a regular last season. Cutrone who cost them £20m plus has made seventeen first team appearances, Neto twelve, Jordao seven, and those two cost £20m. So this idea that Wolves played a 'third team' is an exaggeration as far as I can tell, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if their side had played more first team football than our side that we put out tonight has this season.

Yes it was obviously under strength but no where near as much as is being made out, still a very good win for us considering we too played our back-up team.

I don’t think they played a third team. It just seems they have quite a small squad so had to bring in quite a few youngsters to rest first team players.  Apparently they only used 19 players the whole of last season.

Flat game and a flat atmosphere for both sets of fans. It seemed neither team had to work hard and it felt very much like a friendly game not a local derby cup game. Also 34k there? There was way more than that. Anyway at least we won. Nightmare getting home tonight. 

Game lacked any real quality or chances from either side but we were well in control having over 70% possession and we’re comfortable throughout. 

What I’m pleased with is how despite making wholesale changes we still played the same way with the same approach (before Keinan went off injured). The coaching staff mentioned this was their plan to make the whole squad and U23s used to the style of play so they can adapt easily. We couldn’t ever do this before because we never had coaching staff who thought that way.

Luiz and Lansbury were great tonight. Luiz controlled the tempo of the game completely. But his mistake for the goal typifies why he’s struggling to secure a starting role, he’s too casual and much in the same way as Mings does, his sloppiness and lack of focus does cost us goals. But he dictated the play and pace of the game tonight without barely breaking sweat. Was against a very inexperienced Wolves team but they still had plenty of talent on there, youth or not. Our two CBSs were at complete ease throughout. Konsa is knocking on the door for a start, looked completely at ease. Premier League is a different level of course but I’ve been impressed with what I’ve seen so far. Only player who looked absolutely gash as always was Taylor. He’s utter garbage, which I (and most) knew in the Championship. Useless and kills any kind of decent threat we find ourselves in down the left. So annoyed we persevered with him purely because people felt “he hadn’t done anything wrong”. He is ineffective to us at all times and Targett gives us so much more balance and options and actually crosses the ball into dangerous positions. 

We also can’t play with Kodjia. As soon as Davis went off (who was playing well enough i thought and was looking a real handful, albeit without being a threat to scoring) we lacked any craft or attacking ideas and that’s because we play to a system that needs a strong target man up top. Kodjia isn’t that atall and we essentially tried to ride the game out for half an hour. Not really a criticism of Kodjia as such (although I don’t rate him atall and find him solely focused on himself, lacking any form of football brain and disjointed us massively) it’s more indicative of us being used to a style of play and being forced into the change stifled us up top. 

Job done tonight and good to get a win after Saturday and ahead of Liverpool. Positive thing for me is we have a second team that play the same way our first team do and rather than being reserve players of very little ability, a fair few of those players tonight are arguably knocking on the door for a starting place. That’s positive and shows good squad depth. But we’re massively lacking going forwards. El Ghazi and Trezzy aren’t enough of a direct threat and with no Keinan to rival Wesley there’s less completion for Wesley to be fearful of and we have to put up with one good game in every four or so games. We need one or two new strikers in Jan. 

Would like one of the lower league teams but anyone but City away. No so much for the near guarantee of a loss, more so of how dour every game is at their place with empty seats, disinterested fans and lack of any atmosphere or interest from anyone there at all. Kills the game seeing a half full stadium like they had against Saints. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Odd game, odd atmosphere got even odder when F the Albion started and the ref found 6 mins of added time. 

Job done, kind draw in the next round and I'll have a semi

Did that happen from our fans and their fans? If it was then it would be interesting seeing it lol. Not sure how often something like that happen. Although it looks really bad for two sets of fans, to sing on a club in a lower division!

But I think the next game in the league, will be the beginning of a new rivalry. If the two teams keep improving and somehow be a top 10 teams, then I think that will happen. Albion could still be part of that, but not sure about their long term project. Blues are almost gone.

I think having these rivalries is always good for our club, it gives another dimension. I don't see why people keep looking at other fans and keep saying you care about us more than we do. Yet in reality, if you gave every Villa fan or a Wolves fan the chance to choose which club (apart from top 6 teams) to be below his team, most people will choose Wolves or Villa.

If it wasn't Wolves, would the fans in Villa Park be more than 34k? Would the away team be more than 5k?

Looking forward to the atmosphere after Plop game. Hopefully we beat them in their place!

Edited by abdulaziz1

8 hours ago, screwdriver said:

Lansbury and Davis looked like the only ones who could be arsed. Trez was busy but lacks quality in everything.

Luiz had loads of ball and space but I agreed with the guy who said he didn't look interested. he didn't.......there were times when he had acres in front of him but he just played it back to the centre halves. maybe he's just a berbetov nonchalant type

I was disappointing to see Lansbury subbed instead of luiz.  I think lansbury would make a terrific deep laying play maker. gutted DAvies limped off without scoring. Will this guy ever score goals?

However Wolves B team are worse than tipton town. you'd think an establised prem team would have got a few squad players in the summer to bolster the ranks. like we did players like Konsa and jota.

I only recognised one name on their team sheet Ruddy who looked like father time has caught up with him. 

It was a strange game I thought it was a sell out but the attendance was 34k but it looked pretty full.

we're in the hat thats the important things

How do you think that Luiz found himself in all that space if he wasn't interested?

He also showed for the ball, always moved to the right spot, drove forward when necessary, made a couple of interceptions, pressed his man (albeit not that successfully, as he's not really that defensive) and played an incredible amount of passes. 

I know that we aren't used to seeing Latin American players with a bit of swagger but this is such an unbelievable misreading of a player's performance that I had to say something. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

That's the problem with free tickets, you never know who's gonna turn up. Maybe should have just been a tenner for everyone, it's not like it was the first round. 

They could have had a decline option on the website to resell tickets. I had to ring up to give mine back. 

Not sure it would have made much difference though. Villa reserves v wolves reserves on a very cold Wednesday night. We did well to get 34k.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

To be fair it wasn't even their B team out last night. Hard to make much of it really. 

I think it actually was their B team. Were there any players missing last night that are normally considered a squad player?  

I think beyond their best 16/17 players they are quite light. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They could have had a decline option on the website to resell tickets. I had to ring up to give mine back. 

Not sure it would have made much difference though. Villa reserves v wolves reserves on a very cold Wednesday night. We did well to get 34k.

There was more than 34k there mate. No way was there 7k empty seats. Saying that I couldn’t see the whole of the upper trinity, although from what I could see it was pretty much full.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Oh and I've never seen a 34k sell out before

I'm pretty sure the scoreboard on the night said 39,400. Has someone mixed their figures up somewhere.  It can't be down to those who didn't turn up because they count tickets sold even if people don't turn up. 

Wolves 5,000 plus 30,000 season tickets exceeds the attendance figure even assuming they didn't sell one single additional seat. 

Judging by that turgid performance the Wolves squad is incredible shallow and they are going to struggle later into the season if they stay in the Europa League Thurs-Sun cycle.

Don’t tell me that wasn’t their B team...they played their entire bench from Sunday’s game against Newcastle. 

From my view point at the back of the Holte, it is sometime difficult to see individual players (must get better glasses!) so I look at the team and the movement of players and patterns of attack, I have to say I am still frustrated by our final ball, corners and crosses, we should really be doing much more than this aimless stuff at times.

I thought we kept the ball well and other than some major defensive lapses that we really should have been punished  for (and would have if we had been playing liverplop), I thought we played well. DS gave some of those players the opportunity to show why they should be considered to play in the normal starting 11, some took the opportunity some didn't. Feel sorry for Keinan he looked gutted, he played his part but seemed to need to take two or three touches to get the ball under control.

Good to get a win, thought the atmosphere was strange at times and it almost felt like a friendly.

Other than the 3 1/2 hour drive back home to Newmarket in Suffolk, thanks to the M6 reduced to 1 lane and the poxy A14 closed 😫 I enjoyed the game last night

It will be great to stop liverplop and their unbeaten run on Saturday...

Regards to all

Del

Never seen us so in control of a game to still found ourselves under pressure at times. Very difficult for the players due to how deep wolves dropped, our back 4 often starting 10 yards inside the wolves half.

Impressed with the midfield, moved the ball very well. Also happy with the full backs who started to come into the game late on.

Â