Pre-Match Thread

HanoiVillan

Great chance reaching a quarter final. Why should we play the second string?

Call me crazy but i'd go with this:

-------------------Heaton-----------------

Guilbert--Konsa--Mings------Targett

--------------------Nakamba--------------------

------------------Luiz----McGinn

El Ghazi-----------Davis---------------Trezeguet

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 3

I think we most likely lose against Liverpool , so we may as well mix a team up for this one.

I'd be happy enough with:

----------------------------------Steer----------------------------------

Elmo---------------Mings------------Hause-----------Taylor

-----------------------------------Luiz----------------------------------

---------------------McGinn-----------Hourihane--------------

Trezeguet----------------------------------------------El Ghazi

----------------------------------Davis--------------------------------

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we most likely lose against Liverpool , so we may as well mix a team up for this one.

I'd be happy enough with:

----------------------------------Steer----------------------------------

Elmo---------------Mings------------Hause-----------Taylor

-----------------------------------Luiz----------------------------------

---------------------McGinn-----------Hourihane--------------

Trezeguet----------------------------------------------El Ghazi

----------------------------------Davis--------------------------------

Konza for Mings, as Smith is not going to play two left footed centre half’s together.

Lansbury for McGinn, as SJM needs a rest. 

Otherwise, it’s the team i’d go with.  

I don't see Smith changing his approach to the cup.  Ever-presents so far have been Steer, Elmo, Targett, Hause, Konsa, Hourihane, Jota & Davis.  Obviously Jota won't feature and Targett has since become first choice.  The rest I can see starting, and I'd expect Luiz, Anwar & Taylor to come in.  It'd be nice to see more of Ramsey too after his cameo against Brighton and his display against Reading yesterday.  It'll be interesting to see whether Wolves pick a strong side or not.  They picked a very mixed side in the last round.

I'd like us to go strong for this one - I think it's an opportunity to add a bit of excitement to our season and we've  a squad that's mostly gotten used to playing fifty games a season - I don't think we need to be too scared of burnout at this point. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BOF said:

I don't see Smith changing his approach to the cup.  Ever-presents so far have been Steer, Elmo, Targett, Hause, Konsa, Hourihane, Jota & Davis.  Obviously Jota won't feature and Targett has since become first choice.  The rest I can see starting, and I'd expect Luiz, Anwar & Taylor to come in.  It'd be nice to see more of Ramsey too after his cameo against Brighton and his display against Reading yesterday.  It'll be interesting to see whether Wolves pick a strong side or not.  They picked a very mixed side in the last round.

My thoughts as well, I dont see any reason to change. Over the course of a season we need to use our squad, those playing have been more than adequate replacements and lots of them need a run out.

Wolves look set to throw the youngsters in as the League Cup is the least of their priorities. 

I really want us to go for this. Great chance of a quarter final and then who knows, one decent draw away from a semi final. 

I'd start Kalinic to be honest. Steer has looked pretty ropey in every appearance this season. Could do with showing clubs Kalinic is still alive if we're going to try and move him on again.

Team prediction...

Steer

Elmo         Konsa           Chester       Taylor

Luiz

Lansbury           Hourihane

Kodj                                               El Ghazi

Big Kei

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I'd start Kalinic to be honest. Steer has looked pretty ropey in every appearance this season. Could do with showing clubs Kalinic is still alive if we're going to try and move him on again.

Team prediction...

Steer

Elmo         Konsa           Chester       Taylor

Luiz

Lansbury           Hourihane

Kodj                                               El Ghazi

Big Kei

That’s a championship team if we’re being honest. 

We will field a strong team tonight, hopefully. Smith said he respects the league cup and wants to revive the tradition of Villa doing well in it. Beat wolves and we’re into the last 8, imagine we get a nice home tie against Colchester then we’re at the semi final stage. Suddenly the final is realistic. Especially if tomorrow’s draw looks something like this: 

Aston Villa v Colchester 

Liverpool v Man City

Chelsea v Leicester 

Oxford v Everton

I expect players will be rotated, but we still have quality to come in. Big home crowd and the possibility of Wolves rotating heavily, Smith should go for it. 

2-1 Villa, lets do it. 

• Like 1