Pre-Match Thread

HanoiVillan

Surprised we don't have one already . . .

So the main debate, as always with League Cup early rounds, is whether to rest first team players and use the squad, or try to play all the first choices. My suspicion is that there won't be enough turnaround time for the Liverpool game to play a full first-choice side, but I'm not expecting any youth team players in the side either. I would guess we'll see people like Steer, Elmo, Taylor and Konsa come into the side, and I think this might be a good opportunity to see if Davis can look like scoring from the start against PL opposition.

Let's see your predicted lineups, thoughts etc, and UTV!

27 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Be good to see kodjia back for this to play one of the wings/outside forward roles, so we can rotate. Bad time to have jota and jack out!

Yes, good shout. With Wesley back to misfiring again, we should take the opportunity to look at the alternatives.

This is where our second string is better than Wolves’ second string:

Steer

Elmo     Konza     Hause     Taylor

Douglas       Hourihane

Lansbury

Trez                 Davis               El G       

Subs:  Nyland, Chester, Targett, McGinn, Nakamba, Kodj, Archer

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

Assuming Jack isn't available for this, which would be a shame, I would go for the following;

Steer

Elmo     Konsa     Mings      Targett  

Luiz     

Lansbury        Hourihane  

El Ghazi                                 Trezeguet 

Davis 

Subs; Heaton, Chester, Taylor, Nakamba, Kodjia, McGinn, Wesley.

I think the team should be good enough to win but it won't be easy. Really want to win this game and I think it would be a huge confidence boost going into a real difficult game against the league leaders.

Hopefully a bit of game time for Kodjia and Chester if we're in control, obviously these two are dependent on being totally fit. 

2-1 Villa 💜💙

Ps Forgot about Hause, who will probably play, but I'd personally like to be stronger at the back and worry about the scousers at the weekend! 

Edited by WakefieldVillan
  • Like 1

There's a thread on their forum called 'Villa or Arsenal', asking whether they'd prefer to beat us in the week or Arsnenal next weekend and most of them are saying they'd prefer to beat us and that they should play their strongest side. They did quieten down about us for a while when they were out of form and near the bottom of the table, now they've had a couple of good results and gone above us in the league they're suddenly back to insisting that we're their rivals again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, useless said:

There's a thread on their forum called 'Villa or Arsenal', asking whether they'd prefer to beat us in the week or Arsnenal next weekend and most of them are saying they'd prefer to beat us and that they should play their strongest side. They did quieten down about us for a while when they were out of form and near the bottom of the table, now they've had a couple of good results and gone above us in the league they're suddenly back to insisting that we're their rivals again.

It’s unlikely we’ll get anything next Saturday so id be happy if we field a strong team against Wolves. Win Wednesday and we’re 3 games away from Wembley.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

I'd play -

Steer

Elmohamady---Konsa---Hause----Taylor

Douglas---Hourihane---Lansbury

El Ghazi---Davis---Trezeguet

That's everyone on the bench from Man City starting, I'd keep Trezeguet and Douglas in there because I think they could benefit from a start, especially in a night time derby where there'll be a strong atmosphere. Think Davis, Konsa, Hause and everyone else to be fair, could benefit from that as well, bit of pressure.

I will say 2-0 Villa win, with Hause getting the second against his former side :flag: 

• Like 3

Fringe players have to get some game time as they are likely to be needed some time in the coming weeks. This will be just like a league game, big crowd good atmosphere perfect for players who want to try and prove they are worth a regular place in the team and an opportunity to rest regulars who will be playing against the two best teams in the league in consecutive matches.

I suspect that this may be a battle between two teams, that include few players that started for their club last weekend. If so, I think this favours us, because I rate our squad the stronger of the two. It's a local derby, so the clubs might yet be tempted to play a couple of regular starters. Whatever happens selection wise, I think we can expect a proper cup tie and a great Villa Park evening atmosphere.

This is a cup competition that both clubs have won. Our visitors have done so twice, in 1974 & 1980. We have lifted the trophy a little more often, in 1961, 1975, 1977, 1994 & 1996. Overall, in League Cup ties between the two clubs, we have recorded four wins (in 1996, 1989 & 1982 in both legs) and have drawn once (in 1989). They have yet to progress to the next round having been drawn against us and long may this continue to be the case!

Wolves last won at Villa Park 8 years ago and had not won at Villa Park since 1980 prior to that. They were beaten 4-1 on their last visit to Villa Park, in March of last year. A win would take us into the last eight and there would be at least two teams from outside of the PL and Championship waiting for us as potential opponents in the draw. I rather fancy another trip to Wembley, so just win it for us Villa!      

Edited by John
  • Like 4

Not got a clue which way DS will go with this, but at a wild guess I feel it will be a mix no wholesale changes.

Steer

Elmohamady---Konsa---Mings----Targett

McGinn---Douglas---Hourihane

El Ghazi---Davis---Trezeguet

Subs: Nyland, Hause, Guilbert, Lansbury, Ramsey, Wesley, Kodjia.