Ratings & Reactions: Man City v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/10/19 at 23:59

12 hours ago, TRO said:

did Sheff Utd accept that Arsenal are better than them

Hate to break it to you but Arsenal are atrocious away from home.

Last 10 away games under Emery: L,W,L,L,W,W,L,D,D,L. 11 pts out of 30

To compare that to an away game to Man City is madness.

We were always gonna lose that game. The team during no point gave up, they gave their all for 90 minutes and lost 3-0.

Accept it and move on.

Edited by villalad21
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Hate to break it to you but Arsenal are atrocious away from home.

Last 10 away games under Emery: L,W,L,L,W,W,L,D,D,L. 11 pts out of 30

To compare that to an away game to Man City is madness.

We were always gonna lose that game. The team during no point gave up, they gave their all for 90 minutes and lost 3-0.

Accept it and move on.

I wasn't comparing it in the context you have interpreted it.....I was comparing the principle of Arsenal being a better team than Sheff Utd, but Sheff Utd still give them a game and secure a hard fought win.

We did too in the first half....sadly the 2nd half stood up to predictability.

Norwich and Wolves was always going to lose that game too....but they didn't....sometimes that can happen if you believe.

I am not moaning about a game, that we all expected to lose.....I guess I am commenting on the predictability of it.

We have come a long way under Dean Smith no doubt about it....but IMO still some way to go.

When I watch our team play, (not just yesterday) I see 2 teams....one with the ball and one without the ball.....IMO The one with the ball is far more competent than the one without the ball.I think we have much work to do to improve that side of our game.

I accept the defeat and we have to move on.....but there is no harm evaluating where we are in the progress stakes. I find it quite interesting to debate where we can improve and not sugar coat everything.

Edited by TRO

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

I wasn't comparing it in the context you have interpreted it.....I was comparing the principle of Arsenal being a better team than Sheff Utd, but Sheff Utd still give them a game and secure a hard fought win.

We did too in the first half....sadly the 2nd half stood up to predictability.

Norwich and Wolves was always going to lose that game too....but they didn't....sometimes that can happen if you believe.

I am not moaning about a game, that we all expected to lose.....I guess I am commenting on the predictability of it.

We have come a long way under Dean Smith no doubt about it....but IMO still some way to go.

When I watch our team play, (not just yesterday) I see 2 teams....one with the ball and one without the ball.....IMO The one with the ball is far more competent than the one without the ball.I think we have much work to do to improve that side of our game.

I accept the defeat and we have to move on.....but there is no harm evaluating where we are in the progress stakes. I find it quite interesting to debate where we can improve and not sugar coat everything.

1-0 was defensive error from Mings, after that Man City grew in confidence.

Goals changes games. They had plenty of chances against Wolves and Norwich as well.

You need luck to get anything from Man City. You need them to have an off game. And you certainly can't do any defensive errors.

The loss had nothing to do with mentality or us not trying.

• Sad 1

A very frustrating performance. I think 3-0 flattered them really and if we had been more careful with our possession and passing, and particularly our transitional play,  it could have been a lot closer. It gives me hope that City we’re struggling to break us down really until we gifted them a goal through an individual error. Against lesser teams we may not have been punished in the same way (great finish by Sterling - found a gap under Heaton when it looked like there was none).

As this relatively new squad continues to increase their experience playing together I think we will become more solid and cut out the errors, whilst keeping up our goal threat. Grealish our best player as usual, just hope the injury is not bad! 🙏

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

1-0 was defensive error from Mings, after that Man City grew in confidence.

Goals changes games. They had plenty of chances against Wolves and Norwich as well.

You need luck to get anything from Man City. You need them to have an off game. And you certainly can't do any defensive errors.

The loss had nothing to do with mentality or us not trying.

If you listen to what Pepe said at Half time.....He did think they was having an off game and he was asking for Aggression, you know that attribute some sneer at......It was US that should have grown in confidence, but that is a state of mind and we should have grasped the nettle.

I accept Mings made an error, but Bjorn Engels never helped either with any recovery endorsed by his watching International manager Roberto Martinez.

I accept the other bits you say.

For me not trying to get bogged down with too much negativity, because we have advanced well so far......In a general sense, not just yesterday, Villa don't show me enough aggression, during a game, sorry... now that's not all the players but quite a few.

I think its a bit harsh to say not trying, i agree......but if aggression, means mentality, then I think we have to improve......I also agree yesterday is the not the only example or in fact a good one. I will also ask you to analyse Sheff Utd, unbeaten away from home and on such a modest budget, study the aggression from that team if you are reluctant to use the top teams as examples.

Ps..... We need to get Eddie Jones down to BMH for some sessions after the World Cup.

Edited by TRO

On 26/10/2019 at 21:31, TRO said:

season before we lost 1-3 at home to them, so I guess that is progress.

No complaints from me.....but when we win 1-5 away to Norwich, which was a great result.....we need to watch the game more carefully to know where we are really at.

We have a long way to go and I suspect Dean knows it.

Think those two results show the obvious, that we are vastly superior to injury-ravaged relegation candidates and vastly inferior to polished English champions. If you look at the performances from the other games we've played they've been by far positive, in the respect that we've been very competitive and sometimes unlucky. 

You're right that we have a long way to go, we have alot of new players and it takes at least 6 months to fully adapt to a new system..even longer to adapt to a new league. This is the start of a 3-5 year project, and avoiding relegation is the target this season. Currently, it's looking positive and I suspect we will results improve as time progresses.

On 26/10/2019 at 21:38, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree we have a long way to go but if the bench mark is Man City then so do another 18 teams in this league.

But my comments are not based on Man City alone.....its just some of the points are highlighted in that game.

Man City and Liverpool have to be the bench mark, they are the best 2 teams.That is what we have to aim for.

just like The All blacks are the Bench mark in Rugby Union.....But as has been proved, they are all beatable....but in order to do that you have to apply yourself, EVERY player not 3 or 4.

At the moment in my view we are predictable in our results.....We beat the teams we possibly should and lose to the teams we possibly should, just talking generally not specifically.

To reverse that you have to apply a level of aggression, determination, will, Combativeness, competitiveness, call it what you will.......Pepe was of the thinking that talent alone was not going to win them that match at half time, that was his opinion, so he asked for something more.....aggression and he got it.

I am not basing my comments on this game alone......I thought Bournemouth displayed more aggression than us to go 0-2 up in 10 minutes.....sure we dug deep and found something and got back in the game with a great goal, but it was too late, we have to come out of the traps with fire in our belly's

Right now I feel we are one of the most attractive sides to watch and in such a short space of time that is very commendable.....and I do not want to give that up and I don't think we have to.

However, If we want to stay in this league we have to improve our standing, when we haven't got the ball and show a determination to shut out teams and make it much more difficult to play against us for 95 minutes, not 45.

I get it, that we are 10 games in to a new season in a new league, with new players......its not meant to be a moan, groan or **** on anyones chips.

Its merely meant as an Observation, that I think we would do well to work on......I accept what the manager thinks is the most important, but would be equally surprised if he came out an admitted it......Pepe did in relation to his own team and they won 3-0

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 26/10/2019 at 20:27, TRO said:

I accept that, but the nature of my comment, is that do we accept that too easily as a team?  or more accurately certain players....IMO

did England today accept the All blacks are a better than them?.....every pundit said so.

was Vardy taking a break, when they were oodles of goals up.........No, The mentality is too grind,grind.grind, battle,battle ,battle, run.run.run and run some more......I am not saying we are a team that have no fight, but I think we are a team who easily recognise when the opposition are better, slightly different, but also slightly similar at the same time.

did Sheff Utd accept that Arsenal are better than them.......Southampton certainly accepted Leicester was better than them, in bucket loads.

I do understand sometimes there is nothing you can do over and above what you have done, I am not convinced that applies to us......I see in games, even ones that we win, some players look laboured in their thinking and subsequently their actions.

Jack can't do it all...He carries us at times, that's not right.

I am looking forward to the day we have no right to the win, but take it.......I will then know we are on the way back.

Finally got chance to watch the game!

Thought Heaton should have saved the sterling goal but was otherwise ok.

Guilbert was poor defensively for me.  Perhaps unfair given he was against Sterling, but he was turned inside out all game.

Targett, thought he was ok.  Didnt notice any real errors.

Mings, should have done better for Sterlings goal, lots of poor clearances, some poor passing and positioning.  Bad day at the office? Maybe, but he has been making more and more mistakes recently.

Engels, similar to Mings, a poor game.  Dont think any of his errors were as bad as Mings, but there were more of them.  Partnership is starting to show signs of issues.

Nakamba, tackling was great, but passing awful.  He does still seem to be adjusting to the PL.  He could be the next Boateng for us, but could equally be the next reo coker... Jurys out

Luiz, thought he looked decent against his former club.  Caught out of position a few times, perhaps might have been awarded a pen on another day (personally dont think it was, but seen them given).

Grealish, everything good going forward went through him, but, several times he went backwards when there were options ahead of him.  Slowed the game down way too much and decision making was poor.  Dont know what to make of him today.

McGinn, another who for me is starting to make a lot of mistakes.  Gave away possession a lot, and was clearly tired by half time.  Think he needs a rest like last season.  Having said that, 9n another day he might have come away with 2 goals...

Trez, lots of effort, but severely lacking in quality.  I really dont think he is good enough for this level.

Wesley, i dont like him. Hes tall but rarely wins headers, hes big but falls over in a breeze, hes quick but rarely gets anywhere.  He has the attributes to be good, i cant tell if its his attitude thats the problem or whether he lacks any natural instinct for the game, but right now, its not working.

Davis, breath of fresh air when he came on.  Does everything Wesley doesnt.  Bullied, harries, competes, and wins his battles.  If only he could finish.  Id be starting him next game.

El Ghazi, im convinced hes not good enough to start, but is a good impact sub.  I dont think he offers enough defensively or works hard enough.  In a way he flatters to decieve, he looks to have the ability but never quite delivers.

Smith, got the starting 11 and tactics spot on for me.  But as with nearly every game, when the opposition change it up, he reacts 20 minutes to late.  Subs were too late again as usual, and only made 2 when there were clearly players flagging by 60 mins.  I dont know if je just doesnt see it or doesnt have faith in his bench to come in and do a job, but his game management has cost us a lot already this season.  He really needs to start learning.

Ref/var, poor as usual. Thought there were a few bad tackles from both sides that were let go, and some dives/falls called as fouls that were clearly not.  The 2nd city goal was offside - dont see how anyone can not see it.  Im not convinced by our pentaly claim, but have seen them given.

Overall, i dont think we necessarily played badly, but city certainly didnt play well.  A few individual errors and a couple of bad officiating decisions aside and we might have had a point, such are the fine margins at this level.  Citys quality showed in the end. 

Are the individual errors a result of a mental weakness? A loss of focus? Or a lack of quality? Is it something that can be coached out? Im not sure...  Its clear though that we have major weaknesses up front and out wide that need addressing in jan.  I also personally think we need a nasty dm in the mould of roy keane as we often lack aggression in the middle.  

Â