Do you read?

Luke_W

Just finished "The Devils" By Dostoyevsky, stunning read.

Next I'm moving Death and the Penguin, looks like a novel concept!

I loved Death and the Penguin - recommended it to a 'mate' and lent him my copy.. fecker ran off with it :evil:

I'm currently working my way through a load of 'kid lit'. I'm a librarian so am telling myself it's research!!! My 16 yr old forced me to read Darren Shan's Demonata series ( I'ld bought it for him one christmas knowing nothing other than the fact it was about Demons and popular! ) and am totally hooked!!! Have also been reading Applegate's Remnants series and a couple of books by Louis Lowry; The Giver and Gathering Blue. Children's literature has come a long way from the stuff I read as a kid! Am probably going to try a few graphic novels next, my kids ( 9, 11, & 16 ) are all hooked on the Bone series and nagging me to read them.

Gotta love the holidays that go with working in a school!

Just read The Moscow Club by Joseph Finder - pretty decent run-of-the-mill espionage/thriller

Now reading The Dead Yard by Adrian McKinty about an Irish ex-con forced into working for MI5 to infiltrate a Boston based splinter group of the IRA - started well and easy to read!

Would recommend Bangok Tattoo by John Burdett

I'm almost through John B. Lundstrom's The First Team and The Guadalcanal Campaign
Thank you - that's just gone on my Amazon wish list.

EDIT: On a related subject, have you read E. B. Sledge's "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa" ?

• 2 weeks later...

Just started reading 'Into the darkness' - An account of 7/7.

I wanted to find a book with accounts of what people went through, its well written and really makes you think about the events of that day. I'm about 25 pages in atm and it just makes me think.

Read Hemingway's 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' recently, and it has moved straight to the top of my all-time favourite list. It's flawless - every word is absolutely necessary and absolutely perfect. Just brilliant.

Just finished "The Promise of Happiness" by Justin Cartwright, which is excellent too. Anything by Ian Mcewan or Iain Banks usually hits the spot, as does Harlen Coben or Michael Connolly when I fancy something a bit more easy going.

Just started on some Stephen Ambrose as I fancy watching Band of Brothers again, and want to get in the mood for it. Pegasus Bridge is first up.

Just finished the His Dark Materials trilogy. I was a bit disappointed to be honest. I enjoyed the first two books and the first third of The Amber Spyglass, but the last part bored me to tears and was a chore to read. There's no doubt that it was brilliantly written and Pullman has a phenomenal imagination and intellect, but I felt that after all the build-up, the story sadly just fizzled out.

There's no way that they're children's books though!

• 2 months later...

'The Last Godfathers' by John Follain charts the history of the Corleonese mafia. Starts around the time of Mussolini and concludes early this year.

Brutal, high body count, but since it purports to be assembled from judicial documents, testimony, wiretaps etc etc, it seems to be a pretty together document of what was going on. Silvio Berlusconi plays his part, he saves the mafia from virtual annihilation - hmmmm.

Not usually my sort of book, found it on the tube.

Not being the worlds greatest sleeper so far this week I've read

Clive Cussler - Skeleton Coast - more of the same from Cussler but this one i thought was his best for a while

The Alchemist's Secret by Scott Mariani - liked this a lot and the character Ben Hope is going to run like Jack Reacher based on this ... no messing every bad guy is given a double tap to the head to make sure , none of this villains back from the dead mularkey you get from some books ..

Currently reading

Break on Through : The Life and Death of Jim Morrison by James Riordan

it's a big thumping book other wise I'd probably have read it by now but should be finished by tonight ... Morrison has to be the craziest person to walk the planet , I thought after reading Heavier than heaven that Cobain had problems , he is a boy scout alongside Morrison

i am having such a problem reading at the moment keep getting distracted. Had to go to the library to do some today. Got a book on Voltaire and some of his stories, started off with a shorty ' micromegas', quite amusing. I've stop/started on Candide a bit, so I might just go back to modern lit. I have a William Boyd book on the table really hoping something gets me back into the reading swing of things.

really hoping something gets me back into the reading swing of things.

William Boyd

Voltaire

Candide

think i can see your problem .. sometimes you just have to switch your brain off and read a bit of trash , nobody reads Boyd for fun ..nobody :-)

Â