Do you read?

Luke_W

I read a lot. Mostly for Uni, but also for entertainment when I have time.

I think my favourite writer recently is Ernest Hemingway. Impossible to pick a favourite book.

I used to read a lot, being at uni means thats cut down and most of my reading now is academic (Leviathan right now is killing me). My favourite book is Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, incredibly funny and well written. Closely followed by the Crow Road by Iain Banks, the Wasp Factory by Iain Banks, and Nightwatch by Terry Pratchett.

I get through 3-4 books a week, besides uni textbooks, I try to get a couple of hours of reading a night before bed.

My favourite book is probably Catch 22, it's one of the few books I can read over and over.

I do read, Mainly football autobiographys

I bought a biography when I was about 14, I forget whose it was, but it was a terrible mistake. Every single birthday and christmas I get at least two of the damn things. I stopped reading them after the third as they'd all been pretty much the same, and I finally realised that they weren't even written by the person they were about. Requests that my parents stop buying me them are met with "But it's tradition...!!!". I have nightmares of being chased through a library by a copy of Nobby Stiles' book.

(Leviathan right now is killing me)

I had to read it last year, I feel for you..I still cringe when I hear anyone talk about Hobbes. Marx is easy-going by comparison.

Good shout with Nightwatch, I love all of the Dicsworld "watch" books, as well as the couple with Moist. Don't have much time for the witch books though.

ive lost my attention span and can barely focus on uni books let alone fun ones. took me two months to read the maltese falcon for gods sake and about a month to read that piece of shit a catcher in the rye. cannot for the life of me see what's so special about 4 days in the life of a depressed kid

I used to read a lot, being at uni means thats cut down and most of my reading now is academic (Leviathan right now is killing me). My favourite book is Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, incredibly funny and well written. Closely followed by the Crow Road by Iain Banks, the Wasp Factory by Iain Banks, and Nightwatch by Terry Pratchett.

Really enjoyed The Wasp Factory. :thumb:

FWIW:

Joyce - Ulysses

Eco - Foucault's Pendulum.

The Wasp Factory is brilliantly written for such a messed up subject matter. It's very... real I guess is the best way you can describe it. I could imagine someone like the protagonist thinking and acting the way the book portrays quite easily.

You should have a look at the Crow Road if you liked it, not such a mad basis for a story but a real page turner. I like the way it's structured, very rambling, hops all over the place in the history of a family, from the protagonist the youngest son to the father's childhood around the war.

The Wasp Factory is brilliantly written for such a messed up subject matter. It's very... real I guess is the best way you can describe it. I could imagine someone like the protagonist thinking and acting the way the book portrays quite easily.

You should have a look at the Crow Road if you liked it, not such a mad basis for a story but a real page turner. I like the way it's structured, very rambling, hops all over the place in the history of a family, from the protagonist the youngest son to the father's childhood around the war.

Possibly already ruined by watching the series based upon the book.

Rarely read much nowadays and I hate to have a book spoiled by having aready seen someone's visual representation of the subject matter (if you get where I'm coming from) even though it was probably a very faithful representation of the book (Iain Banks wouldn't have allowed anything else) it still would be colouring my ideas when reading it.

I havent seen the adaptation actually... may have a mooch around in the unlikely event it's on the net anywhere. I loved the book, I'm unsure they could taint it.

I do understand that feeling of having a book tainted by seeing an adaptation first though. I feel sorry for the people that saw the movies of the Lord of the Rings before reading the books (or never bothering to pick them up at all). As good as Jacksons portrayal was, whats in the mind would always be better, and reading them afterwards would definitely infuluence that perspective in the readers head.

I havent seen the adaptation actually... may have a mooch around in the unlikely event it's on the net anywhere. I loved the book, I'm unsure they could taint it.

I do understand that feeling of having a book tainted by seeing an adaptation first though. I feel sorry for the people that saw the movies of the Lord of the Rings before reading the books (or never bothering to pick them up at all). As good as Jacksons portrayal was, whats in the mind would always be better, and reading them afterwards would definitely infuluence that perspective in the readers head.

Absolutely agree.

And the beeb series was excellent (an opinion qualified by the fact that as discussed I haven't read the book :) ).

Dice Man

I bought that but not got round to reading it yet, worth a read then I assume?

I'd read Yes Man, and it's a similar principle so though I might enjoy it, at the moment I'm reading "The Ball is Round" which is a good read so far.

Dice Man

I bought that but not got round to reading it yet, worth a read then I assume?

I'd read Yes Man, and it's a similar principle so though I might enjoy it, at the moment I'm reading "The Ball is Round" which is a good read so far.

For a bit of trivia - they came up with a novel charging regime for the Dice House (a play based upon Dice Man) a couple of years ago.

One could either pay a standard fee of £20 OR roll a die and pay a fee of £6 times the number rolled.

Â